Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point do you consider someone your instructor?

Thanks

Default At what point do you consider someone your instructor?

Throughout my kenpo life, I've had to change schools and instructors a number of times.

Occasionally, it has been a personality thing or some schools that are just not the right fit, but more often it has been because of location or health issues.

I've probably been to at least 10 different schools.

I was thinking though that I only consider about 5 of them my instructors.

I don't know how many of you have had that experience.

What is it that you use to determine whether or not someone is 'your instructor'?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: At what point do you consider someone your instructor?

Their ability to teach me something new

Their flexibilty and willingness to have an open mind

Their patience and self discipline

Thier knowledge of the principles

Their ability to execute and demonstrate principles and concepts inherent in Kenpo
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

So time doesn't enter into it?

How about someone you've just watched for hundreds of hours on video? But you've still learned new things and they are open to questions via email?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Their ability to teach me something new

Their flexibilty and willingness to have an open mind

Their patience and self discipline

Thier knowledge of the principles

Their ability to execute and demonstrate principles and concepts inherent in Kenpo
    This is a nice breakdown. Its been about a year since I've switched schools. Once I joined the school, I considered my teacher my instructor. IMHO, he exhibits all of the things you've listed.

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    So time doesn't enter into it?

How about someone you've just watched for hundreds of hours on video?

--Amy
    For myself, I had already known the instructor of the school and many of the Black Belts there, so I had a very good idea as to what they taught, how they taught, how the school and classes were run. That being said, once I began my search for a new school to train at, I was welcomed right in.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

I think time only plays a factor when it comes to how long it takes to "click" with your instructor. This could be immediate, could take a few lessons, or may never happen. In my brief six years in kenpo, I've only had two private instructors. I was unhappy when I lost my first one but I did end up with a 2nd degree BB as a replacement. I would be very unhappy if I lost her as an instructor because of the rapport we've developed.

What matters is whether, or not what your being taught as well as the WAY your being taught fits with you and meets your needs. Once you've determined that, then I think you have an instructor.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

When I commit to learning from them, they are my instructor. If I commit only to working with them intermittently or in a limmited capacity, they are just an instructor I'm working with. If I no longer learn from them regularly, they are an ex-instructor.

Whether I liked them, learned much from them, or how long I was with them (within reason- it had to be enough to be a commitment) is irrelevant. At least, that's how I look t it.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Throughout my kenpo life, I've had to change schools and instructors a number of times.

Occasionally, it has been a personality thing or some schools that are just not the right fit, but more often it has been because of location or health issues.

I've probably been to at least 10 different schools.

I was thinking though that I only consider about 5 of them my instructors.

I don't know how many of you have had that experience.

What is it that you use to determine whether or not someone is 'your instructor'?

--Amy
    For me an instructor is just that,they share specific material within a specified area. A teacher is one who shares more than just material, they share their life lessons along the way. I have had many instructors along the way, all taught many wonderful aspects of Kenpo. My teacher ( Mr. Staples) is truely concerned about my emotional,mental,and personel life outside Kenpo. Most of those lessons do not revolve around the physical aspects of training. To cosider someone your instructor,should honor them as much as you being honored to train under them.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

trgodbm@yahoo.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-12-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    To consider someone your instructor,should honor them as much as you being honored to train under them.
    I guess that was really the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

--Amy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-12-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Wink Re: At what point do you consider someone your instructor?

Everyone, whom I have ever met or watched, listened to or conversed with, is my instructor to some greater or lesser degree.

I am a student of life. A mere observer of people and events.

Now the trick will be in getting all of you and the entirety of Earth's historical population to sign off on my Certificate of Rank.

Note to self: Buy lots of paper and ample pens.
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SifuDangeRuss For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-12-2007),Martin Seck (07-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I've found it was a mutual thing. We both have to think they are my instructor.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nighttrain For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-12-2007),Blindside (07-13-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nighttrain View Post
    I've found it was a mutual thing. We both have to think they are my instructor.
    That's a pretty good answer too.

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I believe it's a mutual agreement between two individuals. One being the teacher and the other being the taught.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    I believe it's a mutual agreement between two individuals. One being the teacher and the other being the taught.
    I'm thinking too about some of the schools I've got to, where I 'attended the school', but didn't get any personal connection with anyone. I went to a school by a guy named Larry Reid (now deceased) and he did almost no teaching. His wife did. I didn't find her very pleasant. I was there six months. Technically, she was my instructor that time period, but I don't consider her to be. No connection.

I have another instructor I had for just six months and he's definitely on my list.

--Amy

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

An interesting question. I suppose that sometimes we recognize that certain people have knowledge that we seek. Sometimes it is specialized training,like Arnis. We invite them over and see just what they are teaching and decide if that is what we want to learn, If so we make arrangements for them to teach us. Sometimes we also have something they want to learn Like another style of Arnis and then we teach them. Teaching each other is always a very good way to go. It also it shows mutual respect.

I don't think a few seminars makes them your teacher. I think you have to be taught on a regular basis together for them to be considered your teacher.

Also you both have to agree that they are your teacher.

I Am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

When its the person that guides as well as teaches. I learn from many people. There are only two people (my teacher, and one his top dogs that I report to as a matter of pecking order and protocol), that I go to validate, question, share, prod, scratch at, ponder, try, fail at, modify, or otherwise learn from that which I have observed, experienced, shown, or been taught by someone else. That's the difference, I believe.

As an example. My training partner is a Speakman black belt. We train twice a week together, work well with one another, and truly come together as students of kenpo to train, hone, learn. There are many things I learn from him, what I'm doing right, what I'm doing wrong, but not in terms of his "instructing" me, but by his feed back. "Not quite, hit me harder in the kidney"..."Ahh! That was it"..."nope"..."OOf! Nice one"..."come on, Mr. Brown, five more"..."try that shot again"..."nah, I'm not feeling that hammer fist", etc.

It goes the same both ways. We help each other along our own paths, dummying for each other, forcing the stuff to work, sometimes comparing the differences. I then will consult with my instructor on what I did, what I observed, what I could not make work, and solicit his advice and guidance.

My partner and I "learn" from each other by doing this, but we are not each other's instructors. We both answer to different higher up's within our own associations.

Good topic,

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    Universal Kenpo Federation
    Last edited by bujuts; 07-13-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks

I understand that. Tara and I do that for each other. I don't consider myself her instructor or vice versa, but I'm always happy to share what I know and learn from her as well.

I guess that's how it's going to be for awhile, but that's just fine.

We still have so much to learn with each other and through video, that I can go as I am for now.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I guess that's how it's going to be for awhile, but that's just fine.
    I think you're doing right. I believe the important part is maintaining good and regular contact with our higher ups, even it it has to be a phone call. The beauty of kenpo is that with a solid foundation of basics, much can be relayed verbally via principles, concepts, and terminology. It does take alot more proactive effort on our part as students, as I'm sure you know - so much easier to just jump in class, shaddup, line up, hit get hit, and absorb.

Have you worked with Mr. Pribble? I don't know what the pecking order is in your group, but if you haven't, he da man.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Like you, I have had a lot of instructors. They were all sensei, I just wasn't able to learn from all of them. Some of them just wanted me to demonstrate what I'd learned form others, ugh, I consider that paying my dues, some didn't care where I'd been, where ever I was at the time I entered their school was my starting point, I liked that, I felt I was moving ahead and not just paying dues, they were my sensei.
    To answer your question, those that helped me along and loved me despite my past instructors and took me to another level, those were my teachers.

Kit

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Great topic:
    Question, do you have to have a special connection with your instructor to consider him/her sensei.
    Are all lessons physical, you can learn movement from a real pain in the ass. Or can you come away from pain in the ass sensei with lessons about yourself, (non physical).
    If the instructor is teaching how to detect telegraphing and somehow you pick up on the difference between tactics and strategy does that mean that you didn't learn because you didn't pick up his intended lesson.

Life is full of lessons, sometimes the best are the ones we never see coming and the teacher is someone we'd never suspect as sensei.

Kit

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-14-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links