Thread: so many techniques so little time Tracy and Parker

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default so many techniques so little time Tracy and Parker

I've been teaching Kenpo a lot of years and over the years I've had routines where I did my personal workout at night when all the students were gone. Then I starting getting up at 5:30 and working out before the drive into Ashland and that's where I am now. Parker has extensions and Tracy doesn't...well maybe an A and B version. Basically hundreds of techniques in all, for a while I worked on low level colored belt material, now I'm into 3rd black...now I'm getting dizzy.

I'm looking for input from others, first black or above in Kenpo...How do you assemble your personal workouts.

Thanks

Kit

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-06-2007),Martin Seck (07-05-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: so many techniques so little time Tracy and Parker

I start with a kata or two, then throw in a set, then pick one belt rank or two and run through those.

Then the next time, I do the same thing, but pick a different kata, different set and different belt card.

Lately, I've been not doing that. I've been slacking and just going to class and teaching. Too many darned injuries. Must heal.

Soon though, I will be back in my routine.

Can't wait.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Brother John (07-06-2007),kenpochrstn (07-05-2007),Martin Seck (07-05-2007),universalsomething (07-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Then add into the mix working long hours and trying to catch up on everything else that has fallen behind in your life because of work restraints. There are some times I personally don't feel like working on the material.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hongkongfooey For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-06-2007),flying crane (10-01-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    I've been teaching Kenpo a lot of years and over the years I've had routines where I did my personal workout at night when all the students were gone. Then I starting getting up at 5:30 and working out before the drive into Ashland and that's where I am now. Parker has extensions and Tracy doesn't...well maybe an A and B version. Basically hundreds of techniques in all, for a while I worked on low level colored belt material, now I'm into 3rd black...now I'm getting dizzy.

I'm looking for input from others, first black or above in Kenpo...How do you assemble your personal workouts.

Thanks

Kit
    Daily training is ESSENTIAL to a persons growth, I believe. Ones training needs to be comprehensive, yet doable within the time-frame that modern living affords us. It needs to be focused on our needs, yet not leave any portion of our system untouched.

I'm putting something together to deal with this.
    Keep an eye out for it!!
    GOOD SUBJECT

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    Lately, I've been not doing that. I've been slacking and just going to class and teaching. Too many darned injuries. Must heal.
    Soon though, I will be back in my routine.
    Can't wait.

--Amy
    I'm there with you sis! I know that song!! (Wrote the darned lyrics)
    Hang in there!!

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Brother John For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

There are 7 belt levels and 7 days in the week. I used to train a different belt level every day to break it up because if I practiced all our material all the way through 3rd black it would take me well over 3 hours...and that's not really focusing on anything..that's just going through the forms and tech's one at a time!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I will do a quick warm up to get the heart going (jump rope, run, etc.), then move right into basics. Particularly, I spend alot of time on stances, transitions, and power generation. I work the Sets, alignment / activation mechanisms, and mindset. If I have a bag or something to hit, I will utilize it almost always to gain a better understanding and application of my basics.

This will typically occupy 50 - 75% of my session. The remainder will focus on techniques. I have a bad habit of digging too deep into a technique (I'll spend half an hour on a single move), and I don't get too far down the list. Its something I'm trying to correct in my own training.

Good discussion.

Steven Brown
    UKF

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links