Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: If you had to choose....

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default If you had to choose....

    If you could only choose 3 techniques to use in order to save your life, what would they be and why?

    For the sake of argument:
    Escape is not an option
    You don't know the manner of attack
    You have no man made weapons
    The attack is imminent
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 480 Times in 291 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Back Breaker ... devistating technique even in the base movement. Where else do you break the neck twice, scoup out their eyes and break the collar bones before they fall ... Dont forget you kneed them in the back too. You go home, he does not. Ouch!

    Five Swords ... c'mon you know you want to pull it off at least once.

    Any of the Rods ... been working these hard. Nice flow, also enjoy the "short" versions.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks
    1,171
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    I'm assuming you mean in the Kenpo system we're most familiar with (or for that matter Kenpo in general):


    Inside the Storm: Fast, direct: each move you make is accompanied by a hard, penetrating strike. Completely moves the opponent of his center.


    Hooked Lightning: Direct and to the point; easily adaptable to different scenarios.


    Circling Devastation: Allows you to work from the outside-in; builds in intensity on itself; great exit strategy.


    Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

    "I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

  4. #4
    universalsomething is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked 24 Times in 17 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Five swords

    Swirling destruction

    Intercepting Devistation

    Blue Belt
    A.K.K.I.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to universalsomething For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (07-04-2007)

  6. #5
    Carol's Avatar
    Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nashua, NH
    Posts
    2,007
    Thanks
    1,141
    Thanked 976 Times in 569 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Oooohh....cool topic!

    Sword of Destruction. My instructor and I have been playing around with a lot of 3-beat block-check-attack drills. This is a great example of how much pain a simple 3 beat pattern can be.

    Parting Wings. I've had a love-hate relationship with Parting Wings, but I'm starting to apprecaite it a lot more now. There is a lot of good stuff in there that I'm getting a new appreciation for.

    Crushing Hammer. Freaking brilliant, and a lot of the extension looks like Harimau Silat. The brutality is just beautiful.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

    John M. La Tourrette (07-05-2007),Martin Seck (07-04-2007)

  8. #6
    bujuts is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 299 Times in 164 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Strike Set, Block Set, and Elbow Set. Coupled with good stance work and a serious intent to end the fight, by using these you can arguably deal with most of the attacks most of us will likely ever to be involved in. A tremendous number of techniques can be derived from them (and are, for our group anyway) .

    Interestin question,

    Steven Brown
    UKF

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    822
    Thanked 675 Times in 490 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by bujuts View Post
    Strike Set, Block Set, and Elbow Set. Coupled with good stance work and a serious intent to end the fight, by using these you can arguably deal with most of the attacks most of us will likely ever to be involved in. A tremendous number of techniques can be derived from them (and are, for our group anyway) .

    Interestin question,

    Steven Brown
    UKF
    I am learning something new everyday....Kenpo has an elbow set? What does that look like?
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

  10. #8
    bujuts is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 299 Times in 164 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    I am learning something new everyday....Kenpo has an elbow set? What does that look like?
    It could very well be our thing, I don't know to be honest. Regardless, this is what we do:

    We execute this (and all) Sets with the arms going from and to a pre-defined position with the arms up (we call it "12 Points"), rather than the classical chambering of the hips, so this is what the hands "return" to. With that said, Elbow Set for us is as follows:

    R: Inside horizontal elbow, return
    L: Inside horizontal elbow, return
    R: Inside upward diagonal elbow, return
    L: Inside upward diagonal elbow, return
    R: Inside downward diagonal elbow, return
    L: Inside downward diagonal elbow, return
    R: Rising vertical elbow, rear elbow (to 6:00), hammer fist (groin), rising rear obscure elbow (someone’s chin at ~4:30), downward vertical elbow (at 12:00)
    L: Rising vertical elbow, rear elbow (to 6:00), hammer fist (groin), rising rear obscure elbow (someone’s chin at ~7:30), downward vertical elbow (at 12:00)
    R: Inside horizontal elbow, horizontal outside elbow, return
    L: Inside horizontal elbow, horizontal outside elbow, return
    R: horizontal elbow sandwich (right elbow, left palm, breaking the mandible), return
    L: horizontal elbow sandwich (left elbow, right palm, breaking the mandible), return
    R: vertical elbow sandwich (right inside of your elbow with palm towards you, left palm, breaking the mandible), return – not too sure about the name on that one
    L: vertical elbow sandwich (left inside of your elbow with palm towards you, right palm, breaking the mandible), return

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,

    Steven Brown
    Universal Kenpo Federation

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

    Arizona Angel (07-03-2007),Martin Seck (07-04-2007)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,758
    Thanks
    822
    Thanked 675 Times in 490 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by bujuts View Post
    It could very well be our thing, I don't know to be honest. Regardless, this is what we do:

    We execute this (and all) Sets with the arms going from and to a pre-defined position with the arms up (we call it "12 Points"), rather than the classical chambering of the hips, so this is what the hands "return" to. With that said, Elbow Set for us is as follows:

    R: Inside horizontal elbow, return
    L: Inside horizontal elbow, return
    R: Inside upward diagonal elbow, return
    L: Inside upward diagonal elbow, return
    R: Inside downward diagonal elbow, return
    L: Inside downward diagonal elbow, return
    R: Rising vertical elbow, rear elbow (to 6:00), hammer fist (groin), rising rear obscure elbow (someone’s chin at ~4:30), downward vertical elbow (at 12:00)
    L: Rising vertical elbow, rear elbow (to 6:00), hammer fist (groin), rising rear obscure elbow (someone’s chin at ~7:30), downward vertical elbow (at 12:00)
    R: Inside horizontal elbow, horizontal outside elbow, return
    L: Inside horizontal elbow, horizontal outside elbow, return
    R: horizontal elbow sandwich (right elbow, left palm, breaking the mandible), return
    L: horizontal elbow sandwich (left elbow, right palm, breaking the mandible), return
    R: vertical elbow sandwich (right inside of your elbow with palm towards you, left palm, breaking the mandible), return – not too sure about the name on that one
    L: vertical elbow sandwich (left inside of your elbow with palm towards you, right palm, breaking the mandible), return

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,

    Steven Brown
    Universal Kenpo Federation
    Done all of those elbows but never relized it was a set. Wow. Thanks for posting that.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 480 Times in 291 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Angel View Post
    I am learning something new everyday....Kenpo has an elbow set? What does that look like?
    Not everyone teaches it ... my instructor still does. Kenpo can be very different and have lots of hidden surprises depending on who you train with and what line they follow.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 480 Times in 291 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur View Post
    Oooohh....cool topic!

    Sword of Destruction. My instructor and I have been playing around with a lot of 3-beat block-check-attack drills. This is a great example of how much pain a simple 3 beat pattern can be.

    Parting Wings. I've had a love-hate relationship with Parting Wings, but I'm starting to apprecaite it a lot more now. There is a lot of good stuff in there that I'm getting a new appreciation for.

    Crushing Hammer. Freaking brilliant, and a lot of the extension looks like Harimau Silat. The brutality is just beautiful.
    I have to say parting wings is also one of my favorite techniques. I love blasting people with the first strike with a nice forward bow ... their eyes usually light up ... never did this technique with a female partner ... that could be interesting
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by universalsomething View Post
    Five swords

    Swirling destruction

    Intercepting Devistation
    cool...

    why?

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    If you could only choose 3 techniques to use in order to save your life, what would they be and why?
    Because you gave the situation.

    First it would be attack techniques and NOT self-defense technologies.

    A pre-emptive massive over-attack to a kill point.

    Some thing that stops the brain, stops the breathing stops the movement...

    ...and on my property, of course.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    Celtic_Crippler (07-05-2007)

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    . I love blasting people with the first strike with a nice forward bow ... their eyes usually light up ... never did this technique with a female partner ... that could be interesting
    Yep,

    In that situation, "blasting people with the first stike" is the only smart option.

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    2,467
    Thanks
    2,019
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    1st: Form III
    2nd: Form IV
    3rd: Form V

    :P

    Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Real estate in 3 states
    Posts
    2,963
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Sword of Destruction. My instructor and I have been playing around with a lot of 3-beat block-check-attack drills. This is a great example of how much pain a simple 3 beat pattern can be.
    Well,

    I do like SOD, as a counter-offensive tactic but...

    ...I am curious to why anyone in the situation that Celtic set up would do the "turn taking thing".

    Your turn.

    My turn.

    If someone is good, and you let him shoot first, then you are dead.

    I am so curious to why with his situational analysis all of you are doing "waiting"?

    Hopefully to all this is a fair and "thinking" question?

    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

    Celtic_Crippler (07-05-2007)

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    1. Chinese Longhand (IKCA tech) : Offensive and overwhelming if used with intent and the correct amount of "aggression." Also, the applied principles learned in this tech could be applied to deal with other basic weapons.

    2. Any "Rod" tech from EPAK or "Controlling Disaster" from IKCA ...just in case they are able to draw a pistol on me before I break a collar bone or knee.

    3. "Shoot & Sprawl" tech's (Jiu-Jitsu) in cast they're under the assumption we're in an octogon instead of an alley. LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

  23. #18
    TheGoldenOne's Avatar
    TheGoldenOne is offline
    KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

    AKI Contributing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Posts
    800
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked 499 Times in 231 Posts

    Smile Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    If you could only choose 3 techniques to use in order to save your life, what would they be and why?

    For the sake of argument:
    Escape is not an option
    You don't know the manner of attack
    You have no man made weapons
    The attack is imminent
    I'll norrow it down to one......... "the one that works"

    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!


  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGoldenOne For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (07-07-2007),thedan (07-07-2007)

  25. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,818
    Thanks
    984
    Thanked 337 Times in 234 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne View Post
    I'll norrow it down to one......... "the one that works"
    Great reply, sir.

    CC, techniques don't work. What they teach works. My humble opinion.

    Dan C
    Last edited by thedan; 07-07-2007 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Didn't sound like it was meant, so edited out one stmt.
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

  26. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    4,018
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 913 Times in 561 Posts

    Default Re: If you had to choose....

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne View Post
    I'll narrow it down to one......... "the one that works"

    I LOVE that technique! It's my absolute favorite!
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WHat art (other than yours) are you fascinated with?
    By Dianhsuhe in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 12:36 AM