Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Weapons VS Practical Weapons

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Traditional Weapons VS Practical Weapons

I was thinking.....yeah I know, it gets me in trouble sometimes but I can't help myself....

Anyway, I was thinking about weapons like sai and nunchucks. Personally, I've never found a lot of interest in them beyond my childhood. As an adult I prefer practical weapons like a bo or knife.

The reason being, if I am skilled with a bo, I can use a broom stick or pool cue to defend myself. Things I could readily find in my envirnonment. I mean, how likely am I to just find a 3-section staff laying around in the pool hall?

For those of you that do enjoy the more traditional weapons, what is your motivation for taking the time to train and become proficient with them? I look forward to your replies!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-30-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: Traditional Weapons VS Practical Weapons

In general I only have an interest in relatively functional weapons, staff, stick/machete, knife, gun, etc. On the other hand I've taken several seminars on the use of the bastard sword and the katana. That to me is a look back to what was, a time when the cousins and grandfather arts to what we study today were central to battlefield survival. A sword has only one purpose, you can't cut down a tree with it, and hunting with it would be fairly silly.

I've helped a guy put on yoroi, and he was telling why they wore their armor the way they did. That was just cool, fairly useless knowledge to the modern martial artist, but frickin' cool.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

i don't know about you, but i think having a katana or 'chucks in my room is fairly practical if someone breaks in

oh yes with a good, authentic sword. you can cut down a tree
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it." ~ Unknown
    "Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    i don't know about you, but i think having a katana or 'chucks in my room is fairly practical if someone breaks in

oh yes with a good, authentic sword. you can cut down a tree
    Yes you can, it would be a really expensive piece of firewood though since you'll probably have to replace the sword. There is a reason why axes don't look like swords.

If I have time to get to a weapon during a break in, it will be something that goes "bang."

Lamont

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blindside For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (06-30-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

In addition to the staff, I've also learned the spear, broadsword and 2 sectional staff. The chinese straight sword just doesn't appeal to me.

The staff is practical and the primary weapon in our system. The others I learned for the pure joy of learning a traditional weapon and the skills that go along with it. Given that all of those weapons now reside in my home, I do consider them somewhat practical also.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Smile Re: Traditional Weapons VS Practical Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Anyway, I was thinking about weapons like sai and nunchucks. Personally, I've never found a lot of interest in them beyond my childhood. As an adult I prefer practical weapons like a bo or knife.

The reason being, if I am skilled with a bo, I can use a broom stick or pool cue to defend myself. Things I could readily find in my envirnonment. I mean, how likely am I to just find a 3-section staff laying around in the pool hall?

For those of you that do enjoy the more traditional weapons, what is your motivation for taking the time to train and become proficient with them? I look forward to your replies!
    Well, just thought I'd chime in here. For decades I have always love weapons. I started in '71 with the sai & nunchaku, mostly due to the availability and price at the time (young broke college student). Since then, I have collected over 150 different pieces (mostly Chinese in origin).

When you look at the American Kenpo System as Ed Parker designed it, you find we study 4 major areas of "Self Defense" ~ unarmed vs. unarmed ... unarmed vs. armed ... armed vs. unarmed ... and armed vs. armed (Infinite Insights Book I).

We spend most of our time in the beginning with the first category, then the second. The last two are to be expanded upon by the individual organization, instructor, or individual. We find 3 basic sub categories, guns, knives, & clubs. All weapons will fit in one of these categories, i.e. "Guns" handguns, rifles, grenades, thru icbms. "Knives" blades of all sorts, axes, spears, stars and all other edged examples "Clubs" nunchaku, sticks, staffs, thundering hammers spears (double ~ could be club or knives).

So you see, taking time to train these categories is not only a fun option but also a must if you want to learn Kenpo to the utmost. Learning about all these weapons gives you not only skill with distance but also gives you knowledge when confronted with some to possibly assess the skills of your opponent. The better you know how to use a weapon the better equipped you are to defend against one.

As for using many of these unusual weapons......... well, most can be categorized with many implements in our current environment. Such as... Staff ..... pool stick, Quando ..... shovel. Throwing stars (shaken) ..... an ashtray, Chinese daggers ..... kitchen knife. So you see, no matter what "traditional weapon you choose to play with (train), it has a modern counterpart that is close in nature. Keep in mind that "distance" or length is a key factor to training with any weapon. Some are shorter than others.... but you get the idea.

So have fun and expand your horizons.

Kenpoaloha,
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheGoldenOne For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (06-30-2007),John M. La Tourrette (06-30-2007),Mikael151 (07-01-2007),Seabrook (07-05-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

I was thinking.....yeah I know, it gets me in trouble sometimes but I can't help myself....

Well, the Bo was a rank requirement about 37 years ago so I learned it.

I don't even teach in any more, nor have I taught it for the last 20 years.

The sai also was a requirement.

And I still love doing them.

The control Master Keys of the sai are very close to other weapons that are street feasible...

...and they still fit into the "historical significant" arena.

I also teach conventional weapons, including shotgun and building search and seizure.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

11. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

K-knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only

I really like the above.

Can I use it?

Pretty please, for REAL.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Traditional Weapons VS Practical Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post

I really like the above.

Can I use it?

Pretty please, for REAL.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Sure...... why not.......just let em know where you got it from.........

GoldenDragon7
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post

I really like the above.

Can I use it?

Pretty please, for REAL.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    I smell...

MARKETING!!!!!

at least train with the guy first!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

In our system, we train with kali/escrima (practical), nunchauku (traditional), jo (practical), and others...I list these to draw attention to the nunchaucku...training in weapons, even traditional weapons will improve your unarmed skills. Nunchauku is particularly beneficial in that it teaches co-ordination the likes of which you cannot get from sticks or staves (with exception to 3-sectional staves). They give instant feed back if you miss a catch...don't they
    Fact of the matter is, at least in my state, nunchauku, sai, clubs (read kali sticks, jo staff, etc) and swords are "unlawful weapons"...period. They are considered an illegal weapon just like a sawed off shotgun that is shorter than the legal length or a pipe bomb. The only affirmative defense to having them is if you train with them and you don't transport them on or about your person. If I were to kill or injure an attacker in my home with a pair of my chucks or sai, then I am no less culpable than using an automatic MP-5 when I don't have a proper FFL for that weapon...bad juju. It would,however, make the injured party's lawyer very happy. So forgive me for not feeling that traditional weapons are practical for in home defense.
    However, I do strongly believe that they provide benefits to the martial artist who trains with them. Plus, they helm maintain the history and culture of the origins of the martial arts. Further, they are really cool and fun to train with.

Again, just my .02.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sandrar For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (11-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sandrar View Post
    Fact of the matter is, at least in my state, nunchauku, sai, clubs (read kali sticks, jo staff, etc) and swords are "unlawful weapons"...period.
    Which communist state do you reside in? Yikes.

Lamont

~William Drummond

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside View Post

Lamont
    Actually, from what I've been told by a couple of LEO's, if you get pulled over in California and those weapons, and others, are in the vehicle, you will at the very least get an earful from the officer and could very well lose the weapons. The only time it's legal to have them in the vehicle is when transporting them to and from the dojo.

Yes, it's a law I usually ignore...
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Yes you can, it would be a really expensive piece of firewood though since you'll probably have to replace the sword. There is a reason why axes don't look like swords.

If I have time to get to a weapon during a break in, it will be something that goes "bang."

Lamont
    i said a good. -authentic- sword (eg. hand made, folded steel).. not something out of BudK and obviously not a huge thick tree. maybe half a foot or so thick. id rather use a chainsaw to cut a tree down... haha could you imagine a burglar in the house.. and all of a sudden he hears a chainsaw revving up in the next room? he'd soil himself, no doubt!
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting, but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

20. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (07-01-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

i said a good. -authentic- sword (eg. hand made, folded steel).. not something out of BudK and obviously not a huge thick tree. maybe half a foot or so thick. id rather use a chainsaw to cut a tree down... haha could you imagine a burglar in the house.. and all of a sudden he hears a chainsaw revving up in the next room? he'd soil himself, no doubt!
    I hate to tell you, but a half-foot-thick tree could still do a number on the cutting edge of a sword. Yes, I mean a real sword, not a wallhanger. While it's possible for it to survive unharmed, I think it would be too great a risk. See Blindside's comment about swords and axes.
    Parker Kenpo Karate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kihon View Post
    I hate to tell you, but a half-foot-thick tree could still do a number on the cutting edge of a sword. Yes, I mean a real sword, not a wallhanger. While it's possible for it to survive unharmed, I think it would be too great a risk. See Blindside's comment about swords and axes.
    i dunno i wish i could test it out, itd be fun.. im not concerned about trees coming in my house, im thinkin bout ppl.. not like theyd have much to steal here. haha
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

Thanks

i dunno i wish i could test it out, itd be fun.. im not concerned about trees coming in my house, im thinkin bout ppl.. not like theyd have much to steal here. haha
    Me, either. Nothing to steal here. But, I'm not in one of Vegas' nice 'hoods either. My clubs are under my pillow, lol!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    Me, either. Nothing to steal here. But, I'm not in one of Vegas' nice 'hoods either. My clubs are under my pillow, lol!
    hehe mine are right above my bed where i can grab. i think from my bed i have about several things i can grab. sticks, a knife, a chain dog collar, a screwdriver, my 'chucks off the wall.. hell even a stereo speaker wouldn't feel to good upside someone's head and thats just by my bed. not to mention the rest of my room.

if all else fails, there's dirty underwear and socks!

but i digress... hell how about "legal" weapons.. a baseball bat (with a glove and ball in the back seat of the car).. how about a hammer, hacksaw, or screwdriver.. or a rock that would fit in the palm of your hand? how about a can of bug spray (like someone mentioned in another post), or spray deoderant. that stuff would mess someone's eyes up for a moment or two.. how about a belt, or as George Carlin said "you could probably beat a guy to death with the Sunday Newyork Times couldn't you?"

ppl made weapons out of farm tools and sticks in feudal days.. there's always something -legal- that can be used in self defense.. hell, even a pencil or pen.. im still down with that chainsaw idea.. even if you take the chain out (not assault with a deadly weapon is it?) it would be quite a "passive resistance" self defense item.
    Brian Sheets
    VKKSI Kenpo 1st Black

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

jdinca (07-02-2007),Mikael151 (07-02-2007)

Thanks

hehe mine are right above my bed where i can grab. i think from my bed i have about several things i can grab. sticks, a knife, a chain dog collar, a screwdriver, my 'chucks off the wall.. hell even a stereo speaker wouldn't feel to good upside someone's head and thats just by my bed. not to mention the rest of my room.

if all else fails, there's dirty underwear and socks!

but i digress... hell how about "legal" weapons.. a baseball bat (with a glove and ball in the back seat of the car).. how about a hammer, hacksaw, or screwdriver.. or a rock that would fit in the palm of your hand? how about a can of bug spray (like someone mentioned in another post), or spray deoderant. that stuff would mess someone's eyes up for a moment or two.. how about a belt, or as George Carlin said "you could probably beat a guy to death with the Sunday Newyork Times couldn't you?"

ppl made weapons out of farm tools and sticks in feudal days.. there's always something -legal- that can be used in self defense.. hell, even a pencil or pen.. im still down with that chainsaw idea.. even if you take the chain out (not assault with a deadly weapon is it?) it would be quite a "passive resistance" self defense item.
    Best post so far.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

Lamont
    All those laws to protect the dumb and non-thinkers.

Pretty soon it'll be in about any state...

...and you need to pre-plan a verbal advantage to go with ANY self-defense situation.

In fact "honor" is NO LONGER a valid reason for fighting.

You are supposed to walk if you can.

No honor allowed any more anywhere.

Just keep your mouth shut, head down, and be very subserviant.

What do you think?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

28. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

sifuroy (07-05-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links