Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Manners or Kenpo?

  1. #1
    The Master is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North East United States
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Manners or Kenpo?

    Greetings and Solicitations, my students of the arts!

    Over the years I have traveled some, and attended functions in many places. I have formulated an interesting conclusion that I will share shortly. Some background is in order however.

    Most of the arts I have dabbled in over the years tend to be relaxed in structure. Most don't use belting structures, nor do they care about artificial score cards such as rank. Interactions with the practitioners of these arts tend to also follow a relaxed structure. You are on a first name basis with your teacher, some even have cute nicknames for each other. It is relaxed, and friendly, and everyone there can kill to greater or lesser degrees of sweat.

    Contrast that with Kenpo.
    You have masters, and senior masters, and professors and sensei this and sifu that and everyone sirs everyone to death. You sit by color belt rank, and you line up for food by time served, and no one starts to eat until the guy with the most stripes has burped, but first you must say grace. It looks so regimental, so "British". But, underneath all this forced respect, and artificial order, lies egomaniacs, despots, poor manners, and a serious lack of disrespect for anyone who doesn't kenpoo the way that youdoo.

    Your art is probably the most documented, most published and most structured of any out there, yet you will wage holy war over who is in your upline. Guys will stand on high and proclaim how many decades they have in, as if that means something. Yet, they have all the temperament and maturity of a 17 year old school yard bully. They engage in childish games, and boorish behavior that in any cultured circle would find the offender expelled and his membership revoked. Yet, here they are sir and master and professor.

    The people who formulated your art were geniuses. I am truly impressed by what I have read, and the recent lost writings of Ed Parker Sr. continue to show me a man who was ahead of his time and who passed too soon. But his students, and oh too many of those who you call senior and teacher and master and professor and a dozen other titles, you I am afraid fall far short of the mark.

    I have read complaints from a few of this site's rejected souls elsewhere, then researched their posts. The common ground for them all, they are bullies who resent being told 'no'. Some of these bullies are still here, for now. I suspect soon they will join their kin in exile, and proclaim loudly on lesser read sites how "mistreated" they were. The reality of course is, they are common trash with a great number of stripes on their bag.

    One can be a lady or gentleman and a martial artist both. The idea of personal enrichment is alive in the arts. It is alive in the art of kenpo as well, I can see it in the founders words. Why those who claim to have studied for decades have not managed to grow up however, is a mystery this Master cannot answer. Instead they lurk here, hiding cowardly behind a false mask of affabilty all the while seeking instead to forment discord and bring disruption upon us, playing the victim of others malice. In the common language, they are called trolls, though troll might be too kind for some, or too intelligent a term. They know who they are.

    So, answer for yourselves. Will you be enriched by your art, strive to become more than you are, and be a gentleman? Or, will you stay or sink to the level of a common street thug, only with fancier dance steps to amuse your victims as you bully them for lunch money?

    The choice my dear people is always yours.

    For me, I remain, The Master.
    Oh my dear Doctor, you have been naive! I am The Master.
    I am The Master, Lord of Time!
    I am The Master, and you, you will obey me.
    Who in the whole galaxy is not my inferior? There is not one creature!

  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Master For This Useful Post:

    Bob Hubbard (06-30-2007),Brother John (06-30-2007),jdinca (06-30-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-30-2007),Miyu (06-30-2007),universalsomething (06-30-2007)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    There is a dark side to everything. You can not change the world if it doesnt wish to change, nor if it lacks examples to aspire to.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (06-30-2007),The Master (06-30-2007)

  5. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    5,299
    Thanks
    4,907
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    I do agree with you to a certain extent. However, I do think your brush is a little too broad. There are many who are just what you describe but there are also those who "walk the talk". They just tend to be a little harder to notice amongst the blaring trumpets.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

  6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

    Brother John (06-30-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-30-2007),Mikael151 (06-30-2007),The Master (06-30-2007)

  7. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts
    1,140
    Thanks
    1,171
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    You regulate your post to Kenpo, yet your rather self-serving comments could apply to any endeavour. I've seen the same behavior rampant in Korean systems, Japanese sytems, you name it. For the record, me and thems that are around me don't behave in this manner. In fact, for those Kenpoists I have regular contact with, not one falls into that category.

    My instruction in manners and proper behavior in how one should treat others came from before my martial arts training, my martial arts training has just benefited from it.

    I'm not sure who you are, but your pontifications are getting annoying. I think it's time for you to go on the ignore list.

    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

    "I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

    Celtic_Crippler (06-30-2007),jdinca (06-30-2007),Mikael151 (06-30-2007),ping898 (07-17-2007),sifuroy (07-10-2007),thedan (06-30-2007)

  9. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,383
    Thanks
    1,964
    Thanked 473 Times in 341 Posts

    Thumbs down Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Greetings and Solicitations, my students of the arts!





    Nice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

  10. #6
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    My training in manners came from my family. In the nearly 8 years I've run martial arts forums however I've repeatedly had them confused with weakness, stupidity, or endorsing fraud. The ones doing it, have more often than not been high ranking instructors. 2 examples were my helping an old man with his bag and hold a door for him, somehow become I endorsed and trained under a fraud due to his controversial background, and that I build 'cupcake hangouts' because I insist on civility on my forums and want them to be something more than a cesspool of negativity, again by another high ranked instructor.

    Zig Ziglar states "You become that which you are around". I want to become a better person. Why would I surround myself with foul mouthed, ill mannered, thug minded people? That's not on my goals list. Martial arts are by nature and need, brutal. But I believe you can train and not become a brute.

    Thats something I like about kenpo, even though I don't do it much myself. It's a 'thinking mans' art. It is an education, with concepts, and theory, and the like. It's a greater system than the 'street thug' stuff. So, it's fair to hope that something like this, which requires thought, would attract thinkers as well.

    The "could apply to any endeavour" comment does fit. We can change a few names and it would with little change fit some FMA systems I know of, and the JKD guys would probably say the same applies to them.

    Still, it does beg the question: With all the insisted upon respect within the systems, why doesn't it seem to apply outside "the family". Or, why do martial artists who act so respectful sometimes, act so rude on others?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

    Celtic_Crippler (06-30-2007),jdinca (06-30-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-30-2007),The Master (06-30-2007)

  12. #7
    The Master is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North East United States
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    There is a dark side to everything. You can not change the world if it doesnt wish to change, nor if it lacks examples to aspire to.
    Examples surround us. I believe it is not a want for an example to aspire towards, but the mental defect of enjoying being the bully that clouds some.

    Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I do agree with you to a certain extent. However, I do think your brush is a little too broad. There are many who are just what you describe but there are also those who "walk the talk". They just tend to be a little harder to notice amongst the blaring trumpets.
    The brush is broad as I have no desire to name names. Reading through this site and others, will quickly display just whom I refer to. For the true diamonds, we should do our best to make sure their shine does show, so that others will know there does exist good here.

    Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    You regulate your post to Kenpo, yet your rather self-serving comments could apply to any endeavour. I've seen the same behavior rampant in Korean systems, Japanese sytems, you name it. For the record, me and thems that are around me don't behave in this manner. In fact, for those Kenpoists I have regular contact with, not one falls into that category.

    My instruction in manners and proper behavior in how one should treat others came from before my martial arts training, my martial arts training has just benefited from it.

    I'm not sure who you are, but your pontifications are getting annoying. I think it's time for you to go on the ignore list.

    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Very true, I do limit this to kenpo. But my good man, what point would there be for me to visit a kenpo board to comment on JKD issues? The audience simply is not there.

    It is good to know that somewhere there does exist the true combination of training and true manners, and that you were brought up properly. Would it have been others as well, there would be no need for my commentary.

    As to who I am, why, I am The Master. Ignoring me won't change the truth of my statement any more than standing with fingers in your ears will sir.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    Nice!
    Why, thank you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    My training in manners came from my family. In the nearly 8 years I've run martial arts forums however I've repeatedly had them confused with weakness, stupidity, or endorsing fraud. The ones doing it, have more often than not been high ranking instructors. 2 examples were my helping an old man with his bag and hold a door for him, somehow become I endorsed and trained under a fraud due to his controversial background, and that I build 'cupcake hangouts' because I insist on civility on my forums and want them to be something more than a cesspool of negativity, again by another high ranked instructor.

    Zig Ziglar states "You become that which you are around". I want to become a better person. Why would I surround myself with foul mouthed, ill mannered, thug minded people? That's not on my goals list. Martial arts are by nature and need, brutal. But I believe you can train and not become a brute.

    Thats something I like about kenpo, even though I don't do it much myself. It's a 'thinking mans' art. It is an education, with concepts, and theory, and the like. It's a greater system than the 'street thug' stuff. So, it's fair to hope that something like this, which requires thought, would attract thinkers as well.

    The "could apply to any endeavour" comment does fit. We can change a few names and it would with little change fit some FMA systems I know of, and the JKD guys would probably say the same applies to them.

    Still, it does beg the question: With all the insisted upon respect within the systems, why doesn't it seem to apply outside "the family". Or, why do martial artists who act so respectful sometimes, act so rude on others?
    Well said.
    Oh my dear Doctor, you have been naive! I am The Master.
    I am The Master, Lord of Time!
    I am The Master, and you, you will obey me.
    Who in the whole galaxy is not my inferior? There is not one creature!

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Still, it does beg the question: With all the insisted upon respect within the systems, why doesn't it seem to apply outside "the family". Or, why do martial artists who act so respectful sometimes, act so rude on others?

    I think it has to do with fear. The one thing people dont want to hear is that they may be wrong. So instead of having a serious exchange of communication and information,they wish to discredit the person or the scource of that negative input. That seems to be the preferd means of dealing with personal flaws. In any field of study where someone has devoted a major portion of their life, to become (quote: an expert).The last thing they want to have proven to them is the fact that, their research is flawed.

    So they use what ever means they have to support their posistion, regardless if they are right. If someone can argue well enough,they are never wrong.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

    Bob Hubbard (06-30-2007),Brother John (06-30-2007),jdinca (06-30-2007),NickName99 (06-30-2007)

  15. #9
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Very true, and something I've run across in the FMA. Reading through some of the disagreements in the kenpo area on MT, here and even kenponet, it seems to fit. Some of these disagreements, when read out loud come across as kids stamping their feet in tantrums. It'd be funny if it wasn't 40+ year old adults doing it.

    Fear of being wrong. That's a big fear.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

    MARSHALLS KENPO (06-30-2007)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Very true, and something I've run across in the FMA. Reading through some of the disagreements in the kenpo area on MT, here and even kenponet, it seems to fit. Some of these disagreements, when read out loud come across as kids stamping their feet in tantrums. It'd be funny if it wasn't 40+ year old adults doing it.

    Fear of being wrong. That's a big fear.
    By belonging to such a diverse group of people, we will always come across those with philosophical differences, teaching differences and a vast diversity in the interpretation of the way Kenpo should be taught.

    People will let you down,the art will not.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

    Bob Hubbard (06-30-2007),Mikael151 (06-30-2007)

  19. #11
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    IDIC in action, just with a slap check, and no spock ears.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  20. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Posts
    3,900
    Thanks
    2,878
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    IDIC in action, just with a slap check, and no spock ears.
    True, but we slap the fire out of them.
    Brad Marshall SP
    KKFI

    trgodbm@yahoo.com

  21. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Anytime groups of people are involved in doing something there will be disagreement.

    Anytime people are involved in anything, emotion will have an influence.

    Nobody is perfect.

    As martial artists, most of us claim to be disciplined. But even the most disciplined of us can have a bad day.

    Those that have "known" me on these boards know that I seriously support the position of maintaining proper etiquette, or as my dear ole' ma says, "good manners."

    I believe in attempting to attain and maintain these positive character traits; discipline, etiquette, humility...just to name a few. But admit I have not mastered any of them.

    That being said, perhaps I misunderstood the original post. One reason I post here is because of the civility of the members and the wonderful moderation. Of course, as I have learned, perspectives among individual vary and some may not feel the same way.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

    Bob Hubbard (06-30-2007),G. Hilderbrand (06-30-2007),jdinca (06-30-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-30-2007)

  23. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    Greetings and Solicitations, my students of the arts!

    Over the years I have traveled some, and attended functions in many places. I have formulated an interesting conclusion that I will share shortly. Some background is in order however.

    Most of the arts I have dabbled in over the years tend to be relaxed in structure. Most don't use belting structures, nor do they care about artificial score cards such as rank. Interactions with the practitioners of these arts tend to also follow a relaxed structure. You are on a first name basis with your teacher, some even have cute nicknames for each other. It is relaxed, and friendly, and everyone there can kill to greater or lesser degrees of sweat.

    Contrast that with Kenpo.
    You have masters, and senior masters, and professors and sensei this and sifu that and everyone sirs everyone to death. You sit by color belt rank, and you line up for food by time served, and no one starts to eat until the guy with the most stripes has burped, but first you must say grace. It looks so regimental, so "British". But, underneath all this forced respect, and artificial order, lies egomaniacs, despots, poor manners, and a serious lack of disrespect for anyone who doesn't kenpoo the way that youdoo.

    Your art is probably the most documented, most published and most structured of any out there, yet you will wage holy war over who is in your upline. Guys will stand on high and proclaim how many decades they have in, as if that means something. Yet, they have all the temperament and maturity of a 17 year old school yard bully. They engage in childish games, and boorish behavior that in any cultured circle would find the offender expelled and his membership revoked. Yet, here they are sir and master and professor.

    The people who formulated your art were geniuses. I am truly impressed by what I have read, and the recent lost writings of Ed Parker Sr. continue to show me a man who was ahead of his time and who passed too soon. But his students, and oh too many of those who you call senior and teacher and master and professor and a dozen other titles, you I am afraid fall far short of the mark.

    I have read complaints from a few of this site's rejected souls elsewhere, then researched their posts. The common ground for them all, they are bullies who resent being told 'no'. Some of these bullies are still here, for now. I suspect soon they will join their kin in exile, and proclaim loudly on lesser read sites how "mistreated" they were. The reality of course is, they are common trash with a great number of stripes on their bag.

    One can be a lady or gentleman and a martial artist both. The idea of personal enrichment is alive in the arts. It is alive in the art of kenpo as well, I can see it in the founders words. Why those who claim to have studied for decades have not managed to grow up however, is a mystery this Master cannot answer. Instead they lurk here, hiding cowardly behind a false mask of affabilty all the while seeking instead to forment discord and bring disruption upon us, playing the victim of others malice. In the common language, they are called trolls, though troll might be too kind for some, or too intelligent a term. They know who they are.

    So, answer for yourselves. Will you be enriched by your art, strive to become more than you are, and be a gentleman? Or, will you stay or sink to the level of a common street thug, only with fancier dance steps to amuse your victims as you bully them for lunch money?

    The choice my dear people is always yours.

    For me, I remain, The Master.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    My training in manners came from my family. In the nearly 8 years I've run martial arts forums however I've repeatedly had them confused with weakness, stupidity, or endorsing fraud. The ones doing it, have more often than not been high ranking instructors. 2 examples were my helping an old man with his bag and hold a door for him, somehow become I endorsed and trained under a fraud due to his controversial background, and that I build 'cupcake hangouts' because I insist on civility on my forums and want them to be something more than a cesspool of negativity, again by another high ranked instructor.

    Zig Ziglar states "You become that which you are around". I want to become a better person. Why would I surround myself with foul mouthed, ill mannered, thug minded people? That's not on my goals list. Martial arts are by nature and need, brutal. But I believe you can train and not become a brute.

    Thats something I like about kenpo, even though I don't do it much myself. It's a 'thinking mans' art. It is an education, with concepts, and theory, and the like. It's a greater system than the 'street thug' stuff. So, it's fair to hope that something like this, which requires thought, would attract thinkers as well.

    The "could apply to any endeavour" comment does fit. We can change a few names and it would with little change fit some FMA systems I know of, and the JKD guys would probably say the same applies to them.

    Still, it does beg the question: With all the insisted upon respect within the systems, why doesn't it seem to apply outside "the family". Or, why do martial artists who act so respectful sometimes, act so rude on others?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    Very true, and something I've run across in the FMA. Reading through some of the disagreements in the kenpo area on MT, here and even kenponet, it seems to fit. Some of these disagreements, when read out loud come across as kids stamping their feet in tantrums. It'd be funny if it wasn't 40+ year old adults doing it.

    Fear of being wrong. That's a big fear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    IDIC in action, just with a slap check, and no spock ears.
    I like the comments that you have shared here on this thread. It is a wonderfully health discussion. Full of very constructive points and subject matter that contains no negative personal expressions at all. You are very talented, smart and mature beyond your years. It is very humbling.

    I especially like the way you seem to totally get along and support one another.

    Thank you for sharing

  24. #15
    The Master is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North East United States
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    An interesting response for one who finds no value here.

    Ah, let me quote you here Greggie.
    Have you been on KenpoTalk forums?
    http://americankenpoforum.com/forums...2299.aspx#2299


    I am trying to see if anyone else has ever participated on KenpoTalk and if so what is your opinions regarding your participation.

    I for one enjoy this forum so much more. I feel that it allows adults to be adults and disagree once in awhile.

    Check this out ... I asked a question of "ole john" tourette and then he shot back at me with a hostile reply, to which I have no issues with, but then the moderator targeted me to start warning. I especial like the part where he states it is my final warning.

    Like that forum has anything real to offer and I am to be all scared or something that they will suspend me ...LOL.

    Color Codes



    Thank You,

    Greg Hilderbrand
    68.104.54.189
    Some of this sites rejects then babble on, wallowing in their drool as they are want to do.

    You then comment:

    You hit the nail on the head here. You are absolutely correct as is Clyde from th previous post.

    The rantings of The Master are exactly as you have labeled them. All the while getting full support, validity and qualification from Bob Hubbard the forum admin, founder and lets face it OWNER. Whom constantly sticks his two cents worth in on subjects regarding Kenpo when he has self admitted that he has no concept or even the slightest idea, let alone any experience in or at Kenpo.

    Obviously he serves to do not justice to the system that has given inspiration to his KT endeavor.

    I appreciate the comments left here. I am far from perfect, but the Powers that be over at KT and MT sure seem to think they are ... LOL.


    71.52.50.73

    I see that you are one of those that I have been speaking of. How interesting. I wonder, what other games may you have been a part of? I don't find them funny as you do it seems, Greggie. You got called on your boorish behavior and trollish antics, and like the mature, and upstanding fellow you are, you go elsewhere and whine. Very good sir. A true example, as were several of your respondents I might add, to what I have seen.

    So, why not leave since you dislike it here so and find no value in it? That would be the mature thing, rather than use false platitudes as a mask for your trollish behavior?

    I remain, Your! Master!
    Oh my dear Doctor, you have been naive! I am The Master.
    I am The Master, Lord of Time!
    I am The Master, and you, you will obey me.
    Who in the whole galaxy is not my inferior? There is not one creature!

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to The Master For This Useful Post:

    G. Hilderbrand (06-30-2007)

  26. #16
    The Master is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    North East United States
    Posts
    65
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 35 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Some times my good people, words are just words. Some times they are written in broad generalities, with the interpretation up to the reader. Some times, they are a mirror, and what we see reflected back is ugly. Some here and elsewhere have seen ugly and it bothers them. Bullies usually don't like the mirror, for it forces them to confront their own contemptible selves. It seems to right out piss them off. If my words cut, if my words bite, look to yourselves for the flaw. It is not I that insults you, it is the mirror, and the insult, is you.

    I remain, John Racheim, The Master.
    Oh my dear Doctor, you have been naive! I am The Master.
    I am The Master, Lord of Time!
    I am The Master, and you, you will obey me.
    Who in the whole galaxy is not my inferior? There is not one creature!

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to The Master For This Useful Post:

    G. Hilderbrand (06-30-2007)

  28. #17
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Anytime groups of people are involved in doing something there will be disagreement.

    Anytime people are involved in anything, emotion will have an influence.

    Nobody is perfect.

    As martial artists, most of us claim to be disciplined. But even the most disciplined of us can have a bad day.

    Those that have "known" me on these boards know that I seriously support the position of maintaining proper etiquette, or as my dear ole' ma says, "good manners."

    I believe in attempting to attain and maintain these positive character traits; discipline, etiquette, humility...just to name a few. But admit I have not mastered any of them.

    That being said, perhaps I misunderstood the original post. One reason I post here is because of the civility of the members and the wonderful moderation. Of course, as I have learned, perspectives among individual vary and some may not feel the same way.
    I think the point that is lost on some is that there are polite ways to deal with any situation. Disagreement is natural, and hell, if we all agreed all the time, life would be very boring. You're right, we all have bad days. Unfortunately, for some, everyday is a bad day. Personally, and this is just my opinion here, some of those people just aren't high on my 'must see' list. You'll hear about how good their martial arts are, and that's great. I've heard Odey Hussein was an excellent shot with a pistol. Doesn't make me want to take shooting lessons from him (if he was still alive that is).
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

    The Master (06-30-2007)

  30. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hubbard View Post
    I think the point that is lost on some is that there are polite ways to deal with any situation. Disagreement is natural, and hell, if we all agreed all the time, life would be very boring. You're right, we all have bad days. Unfortunately, for some, everyday is a bad day. Personally, and this is just my opinion here, some of those people just aren't high on my 'must see' list. You'll hear about how good their martial arts are, and that's great. I've heard Odey Hussein was an excellent shot with a pistol. Doesn't make me want to take shooting lessons from him (if he was still alive that is).
    Good point.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  31. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    91
    Thanks
    98
    Thanked 55 Times in 34 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    An interesting response for one who finds no value here.

    Ah, let me quote you here Greggie.


    Some of this sites rejects then babble on, wallowing in their drool as they are want to do.

    You then comment:



    I see that you are one of those that I have been speaking of. How interesting. I wonder, what other games may you have been a part of? I don't find them funny as you do it seems, Greggie. You got called on your boorish behavior and trollish antics, and like the mature, and upstanding fellow you are, you go elsewhere and whine. Very good sir. A true example, as were several of your respondents I might add, to what I have seen.

    So, why not leave since you dislike it here so and find no value in it? That would be the mature thing, rather than use false platitudes as a mask for your trollish behavior?

    I remain, Your! Master!
    I love how you call me Greggie .. it is sweet. Sorry that my involvement on other foums has goten you so bunched up. Are you stalking me .. I am blushing. the Master is a fan who would have thunk it.

  32. #20
    Bob Hubbard's Avatar
    Bob Hubbard is offline Retired


    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Posts
    5,610
    Thanks
    1,012
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

    Default Re: Manners or Kenpo?

    Quote Originally Posted by G. Hilderbrand View Post
    I like the comments that you have shared here on this thread. It is a wonderfully health discussion. Full of very constructive points and subject matter that contains no negative personal expressions at all. You are very talented, smart and mature beyond your years. It is very humbling.

    I especially like the way you seem to totally get along and support one another.

    Thank you for sharing
    Very interesting comments considering the report you sent in minutes prior said quite the opposite.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Master View Post
    An interesting response for one who finds no value here.

    Ah, let me quote you here Greggie.


    Some of this sites rejects then babble on, wallowing in their drool as they are want to do.

    You then comment:



    I see that you are one of those that I have been speaking of. How interesting. I wonder, what other games may you have been a part of? I don't find them funny as you do it seems, Greggie. You got called on your boorish behavior and trollish antics, and like the mature, and upstanding fellow you are, you go elsewhere and whine. Very good sir. A true example, as were several of your respondents I might add, to what I have seen.

    So, why not leave since you dislike it here so and find no value in it? That would be the mature thing, rather than use false platitudes as a mask for your trollish behavior?

    I remain, Your! Master!
    It is interesting that we have 2+ banned users from the same computer as Mr. Hilderbrand. Both used false information in their profile, and targeted the same topics as he did early on. Interestingly enough, all gave information that puts them in the same area, with the same training history as his. All claimed that Dennis Conatser would vouch for them. Interesting that my conversation with Dennis indicated otherwise.

    So Greg, you quite obviously don't like it here, we're happy to close your account for you.

    All the while getting full support, validity and qualification from Bob Hubbard the forum admin, founder and lets face it OWNER. Whom constantly sticks his two cents worth in on subjects regarding Kenpo when he has self admitted that he has no concept or even the slightest idea, let alone any experience in or at Kenpo.

    Obviously he serves to do not justice to the system that has given inspiration to his KT endeavor.
    I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that one's permission to post on a board was in direct relation to how many stripes they had in a system.

    I own this site. Never made that a secret, as anyone who's looked at the staff list, the martialpedia entry, hell, my own bios, would see that.

    As to "no concept" of kenpo....and no experience....I've trained in a kenpo school, attended and trained at kenpo camps and seminars, and count several kenpo schools and instructors as clients. I also regularly consult with numerous schools on business development aspects. I think I'm capable of participating but usually choose not to as there are others here more experienced who do a better job than I when it comes to technique topics.

    As to not doing justice....please. This site is the leading Kenpo community.
    This isn't my opinion, this is fact backed up by information from Google, Alexia, Altavista and others. We see thousands of visitors each day. I welcome any other site to put their stats up publicly like we do. We have a growing historical archive, growing downloads section, growing forum, and several expansion projects in the works. To date, I've lost money on this project, but still run it. Why? Because it's my way of contributing to the preservation of martial art history, and helping to create paths between students and teachers, and keep communications open. It'd be nice if I got rich at it, but the reward I get is all the people who have said to me "thank you" for this site over the years.

    Not the ones who can't appreciate it, or think they are somehow entitled to special treatment. They aren't welcome, and they tend to be the first ones to cry foul when they get their hands slapped.
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

  33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Hubbard For This Useful Post:

    jdinca (06-30-2007),The Master (06-30-2007)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. " Kenpo in the Streets" Part 1
    By Bob Hubbard in forum Ed Parker Sr. Memories from Ed Parker Jr.
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 03:13 PM
  2. 20 Questions With John M. La Tourrette
    By Rob Broad in forum Bios
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2007, 09:38 PM
  3. Artical I found on Sub-Level Four!
    By gixxershane in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-13-2006, 03:07 AM

Search tags for this page (caching method: memcache)

hildebrand kenpo

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.