Thread: Gathering of Eagles

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Gathering of Eagles

Greetings fellow Kenpoists,

I just came back from a weekend in Chicago, at the Gathering of Eagles! It was an amazing experience, to meet some of the best Kenpo practitioners in the world.

I attended seminars given by Joe Simonet, Bart Vale, Al Tracy, and Dr. John LaTourrette who we all know and respect on this forum with us.

Doc LaTourrette gave 2 seminars at the Gathering of Eagles. His first seminar was on his famous speed hitting. He would demonstrate the speed drills before giving us time to practice a bit on each other. And who did Doc choose as his demonstration ukes? Not the easy targets. Doc called up the most experienced people in the room to demonstrate upon.

He called up a 10th dan to put his hands up, and try to catch Docís punch. After a few singles for the uke to warm up (which werenít caught) Doc LaTourrette threw 3, and the last was just touched on the way out.

He later had his uke throw a punch at him, and hit the uke 3 times after the uke started, then came back to block the ukeís punch before it got to him.

I also liked how he more than doubled the reaction speed of a good 3rd dan with a simple strategy that took only 30 seconds to have explained and put into practice.

It was a great time.
    Tony

P.S.
    Dr. LaTourrette was also inducted to the Kenpo International Hall of Fame in the closing ceremony. I was not surprised.
    Congratulations Doc LaTourrette!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wanderer For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-26-2007),sifuroy (11-07-2007)

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Default Re: Gathering of Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
    P.S.
    Dr. LaTourrette was also inducted to the Kenpo International Hall of Fame in the closing ceremony. I was not surprised.
    Congratulations sir on a great accomplishment.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jfarnsworth For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-26-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Greetings fellow Kenpoists,

I just came back from a weekend in Chicago, at the Gathering of Eagles! It was an amazing experience, to meet some of the best Kenpo practitioners in the world.

I attended seminars given by Joe Simonet, Bart Vale, Al Tracy, and Dr. John LaTourrette who we all know and respect on this forum with us.

Doc LaTourrette gave 2 seminars at the Gathering of Eagles. His first seminar was on his famous speed hitting. He would demonstrate the speed drills before giving us time to practice a bit on each other. And who did Doc choose as his demonstration ukes? Not the easy targets. Doc called up the most experienced people in the room to demonstrate upon.

He called up a 10th dan to put his hands up, and try to catch Docís punch. After a few singles for the uke to warm up (which werenít caught) Doc LaTourrette threw 3, and the last was just touched on the way out.

He later had his uke throw a punch at him, and hit the uke 3 times after the uke started, then came back to block the ukeís punch before it got to him.

I also liked how he more than doubled the reaction speed of a good 3rd dan with a simple strategy that took only 30 seconds to have explained and put into practice.

It was a great time.
    Tony

P.S.
    Hi Tony,

Jack edited the DVD's and came up last night and we did watch the "Lost Secrets of Distance Four Speed Hitting".

It was actually pretty funny;-)

Let me mention one funny thing out of hundreds of funny things.

We had Gary (a great guy) demonstate 5 Swords on one of the other black belts.

He did a great job!

Then I told the uke to "hit me". Well, I'd noticed that the uke "cocked" his hand before thowing the punch.

so, as he "cocked" his hand, "I just hit him 8 times BEFORE he could throw the punch.

He was flabbergasted.

So I told him to hit me again, and he really tried that time;p-)

And I hit him 5 times and THEN BLOCKED his incoming punch.

He really wanted to hit me then.

So I told him to "hit me", and he really really did try, and he wasn't going to stop for anything...

...so I hit him 3 times and then blocked his incomin punch BEFORE it got to me.

My point is, he did have a good punch, BUT he also had lots of telegraphed motions (which he does not yet realize) and he did NOT have any economy of motion.

It's all on the DVD's that you asked me for. ENJOY!

I also have a 8X10 photo of you and I and of you and Al Tracy.

We have also finishing editing the Al Tracy Business Seminar. I'll give Al a call and see if I can give you a copy SINCE your were there in attendence.

I got 19 pages of notes from that seminar, and I've NOT YET studied the DVD.

It was an awesome event with some great Kenpo guys teaching and interating with others who also love Kenpo Karate.

The Gathering of Eagles 2007 was A TREMENDOUS SUCCESS!

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    Congratulations sir on a great accomplishment.
    Thank you.

Old age and tremendous persistence does have something to say for itself;-)

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    ps. Meeting and talking with people I've not seem for many, many years as a bonus for me. We are putting up a Gathering of Eagles Hall of Fame in my studio.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

kwanli (06-27-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    It's all on the DVD's that you asked me for. ENJOY!

I also have a 8X10 photo of you and I and of you and Al Tracy.

We have also finishing editing the Al Tracy Business Seminar. I'll give Al a call and see if I can give you a copy SINCE your were there in attendence.

I got 19 pages of notes from that seminar, and I've NOT YET studied the DVD.

It was an awesome event with some great Kenpo guys teaching and interating with others who also love Kenpo Karate.

The Gathering of Eagles 2007 was A TREMENDOUS SUCCESS!

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Thank you, I would really appreciate that! There is an incredible amount of applied business strategy in that seminar, and a DVD would be wonderful.

I am also looking forward to that DVD of your speed-hitting seminar, so I can slow it down and see the rest of what you did.
    It's great when in your seminars you say you're demonstrating a 3 hit sequnce and slip in 2 extra hits, and nobody notices because they can't see it.

Tony

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanderer For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-27-2007)

Thanks

Thank you, I would really appreciate that! There is an incredible amount of applied business strategy in that seminar, and a DVD would be wonderful.

I am also looking forward to that DVD of your speed-hitting seminar, so I can slow it down and see the rest of what you did.
    It's great when in your seminars you say you're demonstrating a 3 hit sequnce and slip in 2 extra hits, and nobody notices because they can't see it.

Tony
    Thank you Tony.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links