Thread: Help, I'm looking for an old instructor

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Help, I'm looking for an old instructor

Flash back to 1968, Larry Robbins and I were teaching kenpo in the Fremont union highschool district, Cupertino Highschool, Cupertino California. He a black belt I a colored belt.
    I think Larry went off to Utah to live. I can't beleave that he would have stopped his Kenpo studies.
    Larry would be about 54 years old, American Indian, maybe 5'9.
    If you know of Larry, his whereabouts and or activities please drop me an E mail
    Thanks
    Amatsu Tatara

kato is offline Banned Troll
    Thanks

Default Re: Help, I'm looking for an old instructor

seems you and I are looking for former kenpo teachers and first generation's northern Calif. fighters who put Kenpo on the map back in the day when Kenpo was said "not to be worthy of black belt mags ink".

These fighters were hard, hard hitters and put to shame many of those who mocked them. There actions in the ring and out(street and barroom brawls) were legendary yet we never hear about them. If you and I are curious I suppose there are many more think same as us. Please other students or friends of there's and others list those whom you think have been slighted. It is time for I.K.K.A Kenpoists(first generation 1960's fighters) to be acknowledged.

If other style's and systems give hall of fame awards why not these legendary fighters be afforded the same honors. Time to put away petty fighting and come together , here is a thought a banquet for all.

Now many newbie's post 1960-1975 it is time to know where your fighting skills came from. handed down from fighter to fighter thru the yrs. those of you who compete or learned your street fighting skills these men are credited from trial(took it to the ring or street to do research and development)and error.

Again hopefully you all with try to locate them and include them to our current Kenpo clan along with others here is the partial list:

Jerry Baumgarten (lt hvy)

Ray Klingenberg (lt hvy)

Jim Trevino (mid wt)

Gregg Baines (hvy wt)

Ralph Castellanos (hvy wt)

again if you know of others list them. We Know only of Steve Labounty.

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hey Kato
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes there are any number of instructors who fought in the Pacific Northwest, never got a write up, did circut tournaments or owned thier own Dojo. They are the unsung Kenpoists who pioneered kenpo in the early 60s. Indeed all that happened with kenpo and the martial arts for that matter did not take place in L A or on the east coast. As long as I'm on my soap box...we of the Pacific Northwest can count on one hand the number of big name sensei that have cast thier shadows in Oregon, or Washington.

Thanks Kato

Kit

Thanks

hey Kit nice to meet you. As to pacific northwest pioneer fighters from the 60's-1975, Please tell us all who those fighters were my goodness, I have no idea who they would be but would welcome that info..

all that are new to this latest post ck it out and get back to me with those you know of early fighters from across our contiguos states in the 60's-1975.

Please all out there tell us about legendary fighters form "in the day"

thanks,

kato

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Flash back to 1968, Larry Robbins and I were teaching kenpo in the Fremont union highschool district, Cupertino Highschool, Cupertino California. He a black belt I a colored belt.
    I think Larry went off to Utah to live. I can't beleave that he would have stopped his Kenpo studies.
    If you know of Larry, his whereabouts and or activities please drop me an E mail
    Thanks
    Amatsu Tatara
    Does Mr. Larry Moulton ring a bell? You didn't give his last name in your post, so I wondered...

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

hey there ceicei and kit,

ceicei as far as larry moulton could you elaborate as to his lineage I only ask because the only one in Santa Clara county was Jim Trevino and at Stanford Univ. for the life of me can only remember his first name of George?

kit, any names you can expound on in your neck of the woods.

keep me posted.

later,

kato

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    hey there ceicei and kit,

ceicei as far as larry moulton could you elaborate as to his lineage I only ask because the only one in Santa Clara county was Jim Trevino and at Stanford Univ. for the life of me can only remember his first name of George?

kit, any names you can expound on in your neck of the woods.

keep me posted.

later,

kato
    Quote Originally Posted by kit
    If you know of Larry, his whereabouts and or activities
    Well, Kit had wondered whether Larry had moved to Utah.

The only Larry I am currently aware of living in Utah is Larry Moulton. He is teaching in Midvale, Ut as a 3rd degree bb. He is from the Tony Martinez lineage [at least here, but not sure if he trained elsewhere such as Calif]. He works at Rhinehart's Kenpo Karate Club along with the Rhineharts (Bill R. 5th deg bb, Tom R. 4th deg bb, and Rick R. 2nd deg bb).

I don't know any of them personally so I really can't say much more than what I've already mentioned.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kit View Post
    Hey Kato
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes there are any number of instructors who fought in the Pacific Northwest, never got a write up, did circut tournaments or owned thier own Dojo. They are the unsung Kenpoists who pioneered kenpo in the early 60s. Indeed all that happened with kenpo and the martial arts for that matter did not take place in L A or on the east coast. As long as I'm on my soap box...we of the Pacific Northwest can count on one hand the number of big name sensei that have cast thier shadows in Oregon, or Washington.
    Yep.
    I came out of the service in late 69, graduated in 73 (Southern OR), having done Kenpo with David Day a Steve Fox student.

Then moved to Portland for a year and managed 2 studios up there for Tracy's.

1974 moved to Boise, but still came all the way to Portland to fight in Bruce Terrill's Championships. A lot of great fighters back then. Just about all of them are either fat, gone from the arts, or dead. It's been a great 40 years.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links