Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How open are you to change?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

Default How open are you to change?

How many of us are open and willing, to put aside our pre-concived views of the material we have learned over the years, in-order to change the application of a the material? Do we debate the techinques to validate our views, or do we spend time trying to apply someones perspective before we disgard it or add it to our knowlege base?

I know it took many years of training before I even considered that their may be another way of doing a move. I also know how hard it is to break the bio-mechanical movement I have learned.

Deepest Respect

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (06-18-2007),Brother John (07-05-2007),Carol (06-18-2007),Martin Seck (06-18-2007),Mikael151 (06-19-2007),thedan (06-18-2007)

Thanks

Default Re: How open are you to change?

Great topic---

I feel that I am pretty open to change...I do really enjoy the history and traditions of Martial Arts so I am still old-school in that respect.
    The above is just my opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dianhsuhe For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (06-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

I think that's what kenpo is all about. As long as the change is backed by sound principles, why not? It's when change is made just for the sake of change that it could be detrimental.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-27-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I'm game! I'm always looking to learn and by no means am under the impression that I really know anything at all actually! LOL
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I find myself changing my way of doing things a lot more these days as I'm exposed to more points of view and new principles. Much of this has come from my instructor, but also from other sources, including the great folks here on KT.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post
    How many of us are open and willing, to put aside our pre-concived views of the material we have learned over the years, in-order to change the application of a the material? Do we debate the techinques to validate our views, or do we spend time trying to apply someones perspective before we disgard it or add it to our knowlege base?

I know it took many years of training before I even considered that their may be another way of doing a move. I also know how hard it is to break the bio-mechanical movement I have learned.

Deepest Respect
    I totally agree with looking back and asking questions constantly. My current instructor has helped me to see many things I missed before and frankly I am renewed in the arts from it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I think that's what kenpo is all about. As long as the change is backed by sound principles, why not? It's when change is made just for the sake of change that it could be detrimental.
    Great point,

I am an Architectural Eng by trade. So by nature I like to change things.
    However there has to be a very good reason to do so. I dont care how pretty it looks on the outside if the inside cant support it.

Thanks for your input.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

Doc (07-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 593 Posts

I usually find I'm much inclined to examine things that are different than what I have learned, especially if I've just gotten tagged by said difference!

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    Last edited by bdparsons; 06-18-2007 at 05:03 PM.
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bdparsons For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (07-01-2007)

Thanks

Talking Re: How open are you to change?

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    I usually find I'm much inclined to examine things that are different than what I have learned, especially if I've just gotten tagged by said difference!

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institue\te
    I know what you mean, I have been taged more times than I care to remember. Sometimes I cant remember because of how hard I was taged.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,460 Posts

well, given that I have spent years training in other arts that do things quite differently from kenpo, and from each other, I try to be very open minded and don't judge different methods until I've had a chance to work with them for a while and understand them.

I have definitely encountered people who seemed to me to be very closed-minded to anything that was different from how they do things. I never could understand that approach.

I can certainly understand that one would decide that other methods are not best for themselves. But they are still very valid and very effective methods in their own right, even when they break rules that other methods live by.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flying crane For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-27-2007),thedan (06-19-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I'm game! I'm always looking to learn and by no means am under the impression that I really know anything at all actually! LOL

Well my friend you have come a long way from the "Basics - Parries" thread back in December 06 ROFL

for myself, I am open to change, but critical as to what gets through the filters. I'll let anyone onto the yard to see what they've got, but getting into the house, that's a different matter.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (06-19-2007),Doc (07-01-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-18-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,366 Times in 1,424 Posts

I refuse to change. Even my underwear. 30+ year old pair on now (or what's left of it).

Ignorance is bliss. All Hail Density!

Returning head to hole in sand,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-05-2007),John M. La Tourrette (07-01-2007),thedan (06-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    Well my friend you have come a long way from the "Basics - Parries" thread back in December 06 ROFL

for myself, I am open to change, but critical as to what gets through the filters. I'll let anyone onto the yard to see what they've got, but getting into the house, that's a different matter.

Well stated

Thanks

"Change" is my middle name!

Dan (Change) C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (06-18-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I'm in the AKKI, so I'd say I'm pretty open to change.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

G. Hilderbrand (06-19-2007),Mikael151 (01-02-2013)

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post

Deepest Respect
    I'm all for it!! Some folks tend to make fun of the words 'evolve' or 'change' or 'update', etc. but if you stop and think about it, everything in life changes. Cars, medicine and technology are just a few of the many things out there.

Some may not look at things in a positive light, because they feel that if you don't have the basics down, whats the use of changing something. Well, thats true to a point, but it shouldn't take 20 yrs. to learn how to throw a punch, get into a neutral bow or do Delayed Sword.

I've gone to a number of seminars, worked with a number of people, all of whom do things slightly different. I take a look at what they show, if its something worth adding I add it, if not, I don't.

A boxer specializes in punching and a grappler does the same with grappling. Soooo...if I can add a new 'twist' to my punches, why not do it?

If someone wants to stay in the past, fine. I want to move ahead.

Mike

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MJS For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (07-01-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-19-2007),thedan (06-19-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    I'm all for it!! Some folks tend to make fun of the words 'evolve' or 'change' or 'update', etc. but if you stop and think about it, everything in life changes. Cars, medicine and technology are just a few of the many things out there.

Some may not look at things in a positive light, because they feel that if you don't have the basics down, whats the use of changing something. Well, thats true to a point, but it shouldn't take 20 yrs. to learn how to throw a punch, get into a neutral bow or do Delayed Sword.

I've gone to a number of seminars, worked with a number of people, all of whom do things slightly different. I take a look at what they show, if its something worth adding I add it, if not, I don't.

A boxer specializes in punching and a grappler does the same with grappling. Soooo...if I can add a new 'twist' to my punches, why not do it?

Mike
    Every art has something wonderful to share. If you want to be great with kicking, you find a art that is great in kicking etc. Cross training opens up new perspectives that may help your root style. If nothing else you learn how to defend against their attacks.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MARSHALLS KENPO For This Useful Post:

thedan (06-19-2007)

Thanks

Been thinking about this thread and the overall makeup of posters here. At least with the more outspoken members, we seem to fall primarily into two groups. One is willing to try out ideas presented here and at least learn or gain understanding of different methodologies. If possible, this group seems more willing to incorporate change into their personal style. I'm definately in this group.

The second group is resistant to change. Most quietly ignore the majotity of the ideas and experiments put out here and just continue to do what they do. Some, however, resist with a (literally) religeouse fervor. Any suggestion that any part of the system should be explored, questioned, challenged, or (God/Mr. Parker forbid!) changed is decried as heresy! They're entitled to their opinion, as are we all, and I think are a valuable asset to a forum where anything can be put up by who knows who. They act as a check on some of our, er, artistic license. They also have a lot of good insights on the base/ideal techniques- what they teach and how theyare aplied. I agree with a lot of their points, and definately think about what they say.

Questioning means looking at all aspects of the problem, listening to all points of view (within reason), and trying the ides out to see what works. So I like having these "checkers" in place, even though I don't always agree with them.

I don't see a lot of the change for the sake of doing it different, or "luk at me ah got mah own stile" types here. If they are, they very wisely keep a low profile, so not a problem.

My second (and more considered) opinion.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

jdinca (06-19-2007),John M. La Tourrette (06-27-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-19-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post

Mike
    What I find interesting with all these posts is that they are describing a certain personality profile based upon time.

Many, like me and Celtic (referencing a post of his 2 yrs ago) don't want change UNTIL we are ready.

That means, let us really learn what we've already learned, so we can do it by rote, and teach it at level 5 competency.

Then we look for more to learn.

So, "change" is not the word for us, but that is what we do.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    Who does change his underwear at least once a month.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (07-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Been thinking about this thread and the overall makeup of posters here. At least with the more outspoken members, we seem to fall primarily into two groups. One is willing to try out ideas presented here and at least learn or gain understanding of different methodologies. If possible, this group seems more willing to incorporate change into their personal style. I'm definately in this group.

The second group is resistant to change. Most quietly ignore the majotity of the ideas and experiments put out here and just continue to do what they do. Some, however, resist with a (literally) religeouse fervor. Any suggestion that any part of the system should be explored, questioned, challenged, or (God/Mr. Parker forbid!) changed is decried as heresy! They're entitled to their opinion, as are we all, and I think are a valuable asset to a forum where anything can be put up by who knows who. They act as a check on some of our, er, artistic license. They also have a lot of good insights on the base/ideal techniques- what they teach and how theyare aplied. I agree with a lot of their points, and definately think about what they say.
    Actually, the second type of person out of group two is the person you want working for you.

He will go to great pains to "get it right", and right is the historical right.

They are the sort that can do the same exact process for 30 years and then retire happy.

Others have a 6 month attention span.

So they get divorced every 6 months.

If anyone wants more of that, study Rodger Bailey and his Bio-Data Profiling systems.

Very good stuff.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links