Thread: Why study kenpo?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 1,156 Posts

Default Why study kenpo?

Theres easily a gazillion arts out there. Why should I consider a ken/mpo over say, FMA, or Tai Chi or any of the others?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Default Re: Why study kenpo?

first it depends on what you want out of it.
    each art has its own special qualities....especially in the ken/mpo world.
    because there are so many different types of ken/mpo, when one does make the decision to study it, which one do they study?
    i study kosho-ryu because of it's depth of study. it goes beyond just fighting hand to hand. for some people this would require too much of a time investment, and it usually takes longer for someone to understand and apply principle. the same could be said about tai chi, and some kung fu systems.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Why study kenpo?

As Blackcatbonz said, it depends on what you're looking for in your training. My primary reason for taking MA was self-defense. I didn't know much about the differences between the different arts; it just so happened that the MA school closest to where I lived & which had a reasonably priced 'Introductory Special' was a Kenpo school. (Lucky me! )

The things about Kenpo that made me think "yeah, I'm in the right place" are:

1) When I ask my instructor why we do something a certain way (stance, strike, block, form--whatever) I get a real answer, based on physics & principles of motion, not "because we've been doing it that way for 2,000 years." [I'm not accusing any particular system of doing that; Kenpo is the only system I've ever studied, so I guess it was just one of my pre-conceived notions from watching too many Kung Fu flicks...]

2) When I was a White Belt & read Volume I of Mr. Parker's "Infinite Insights" series for the first time, especially the chapter on his philosophy of martial arts. I kept saying out loud, "Yes--exactly!"

3) I also like the fact that we can tailor/adjust the movements in the self-defense techniques to our particular body type/condition & still make it work! (without violating any of the principles of motion, of course)

4) I love the Kenpo terminology - our own language, if you will. It's something that connects all of us around the world. An example of this was very apparent when we had a Kenpo student from Mexico visit our school one night last year. Even though there was a language barrier, when we said "Gravitational Marriage" & "Body Rotation" she smiled & knew exactly what we meant. How cool is that?

I admit I'm a little biased, but I think that Kenpo has a lot to offer the prospective student.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Kenpo offers a wide selection of martial arts options for the prospective student. It includes punching, kicking, striking, joint locks, throws, and weapons. It emphasizes self defense, which is (generally) what a new martial arts student wants first. Kenpo may be studied as an art form, as a method of unarmed/armed combat, as a sport, as a method of physical fitness, as a recreational pursuit, or as any combination thereof. While it is possible to study only Kenpo for a lifetime and never master all of it, it also provides an excellent base of skills if the student wishes to cross-train in other arts. In short, Kenpo is a martial art with something for everyone.

Except the historian, of course .

Thanks

i think historians should be included. ;-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Why choose Kenpo "Above" another art??
    Personal taste. I just really like the way it moves and the way every part of it makes good sense and contributes to the overall whole of it. (hope that made sense)

really though, other contributing factors might be:
    the availability. For a LONG time I wanted to learn Kenpo, but there wasn't anyone near me.
    The availability of other arts in your area: Maybe they'd like to do MuThai, but it's not near them....but the Kenpo studio is. (?)
    The quality of the instructor(s) and school. It might be your first choice but maybe the instructor is a goof or worse.... crooked.

other things play in too. Lots of factors, but in the end........for me it just boils down to a somewhat ephemeral "I just like it".

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Definitely time to bring this thread back to life since we have so many new members.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Definitely time to bring this thread back to life since we have so many new members.
    Guess I'm one, so here's one of my primary reasons. I like the emphasis on understanding. Whenever I've worked out or trained with other systems or stylists in the past, I've been able to pick out the principles and concepts they emphasize. I think I get more out of working with them since I understand what they are doing a little better. Makes it easier to cross reference what they do with what I do. So, I get more enjoyment out of the experience.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

The other arts I studied prior to Kenpo seemed lacking in one aspect or another. Kenpo seemed to be the total package so there was no need to cross train nearly as much.

The logic and the fact that the movements were based on scientific principles were also a major attraction for me. It just made sense.

Oh, and don't forget "street-tested." Since my goal was to learn a self-defense oriented art it made sense to go with what worked...Kenpo that is. =)
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Once you become familiar with it, it lets you be "you."
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I study it because I have been through several other styles and this is the one that I feel the most confident in and I honestly belieave (nothing against other styles, I respect them all) Kenpo is the most effieciant and effective style there is for self defence.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Well I chose Kenpo because I liked the concept of maximum damage with maximum protection. Also, there are about 200(literally) TKD dojangs in the surrounding areas where I live. I am not interested in TKD, so Kenpo seemed to be a logical choice.

Thanks

Well I see this thread sort of died back in January, would love to see what some of the new people have to say about why they picked Kenpo?
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

This is a KENPO forum?!

Man and all this time I thought it was KenDO.

My bad ... please delete all my posts prior to and including this one as I am clearly in the wrong place.

LOL!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    This is a KENPO forum?!

Man and all this time I thought it was KenDO.

My bad ... please delete all my posts prior to and including this one as I am clearly in the wrong place.

LOL!
    You know back when I was in the Air Force in San Antonio, I signed up to take Kendo class. The instructor was well less than honest with me. I was told all I needed was a Kendo stick around $40 and a gi. Around $40. Well after a week of getting the crap knocked out of me I was told I would have to buy an $800 Kendo suite if armor. Needless to say my Kendo training ended at that time.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links