Thread: Which Ken/mpo?

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,158 Times in 1,155 Posts

Default Which Ken/mpo?

Parkers Kenpo, Tracy Kenpo, Chinese Kempo, Kajukenbo, etc.

What's the major differences, and how can I tell which is for me?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Which Ken/mpo?

Chinese Kenpo usually (but not always) refers to the art which SGM Parker taught in the 1960s. It is basically a combination of the art which Mr. Parker learned from Professor Chow and the Chinese arts which Mr. Parker explored through instructors such as Ark Y. Wong and James Wing Woo. Stylistically, it tends to emphasize rooting and power moves to a greater extent than the American Kenpo which Mr. Parker later developed. It is virtually identical to the system commonly referred to as Tracy's Kenpo. Many practioners still call it Chinese Kenpo due to their not belonging to the Tracy's organization.

Of the arts mentioned in the original post, I must say that (IMHO), all those mentioned have more similarities than differences. There are those who will argue the point, but if you view these arts (as well as the footage of Professsor Chow on John Bishop's site), you can see the "family relationship". So, in the end, which one to study depends on the prospective student and on the instructor. The student would be well advised to visit the schools available to him/her. Is there a good "atmosphere"? Does the instructor explain things well? Is the location within a reasonable distance of home? Are the fees affordable? Most of all, when viewing the performance of the school's senior students, do you say "man, someday I want to be like that"? There are many gifted individuals who make poor instructors, and it will show up in their senior students.

In the end, it's hard to go wrong with a good Kenpo school, no matter which style/system/lineage/spelling you choose to follow.
    Again, just my opinion .

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randy Strausbaugh For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (07-01-2008),Brother John (07-04-2008),Dr. Dave in da house (06-28-2008),MARSHALLS KENPO (07-02-2008)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I found this post while reading through past topics. I really have a better understanding of the kenpo/kempo and the differences there are. Thought I'd bump it for all to see.
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Which Ken/mpo?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Strausbaugh View Post
    Chinese Kenpo usually (but not always) refers to the art which SGM Parker taught in the 1960s. It is basically a combination of the art which Mr. Parker learned from Professor Chow and the Chinese arts which Mr. Parker explored through instructors such as Ark Y. Wong and James Wing Woo. Stylistically, it tends to emphasize rooting and power moves to a greater extent than the American Kenpo which Mr. Parker later developed. It is virtually identical to the system commonly referred to as Tracy's Kenpo. Many practioners still call it Chinese Kenpo due to their not belonging to the Tracy's organization.

Of the arts mentioned in the original post, I must say that (IMHO), all those mentioned have more similarities than differences. There are those who will argue the point, but if you view these arts (as well as the footage of Professsor Chow on John Bishop's site), you can see the "family relationship". So, in the end, which one to study depends on the prospective student and on the instructor. The student would be well advised to visit the schools available to him/her. Is there a good "atmosphere"? Does the instructor explain things well? Is the location within a reasonable distance of home? Are the fees affordable? Most of all, when viewing the performance of the school's senior students, do you say "man, someday I want to be like that"? There are many gifted individuals who make poor instructors, and it will show up in their senior students.

In the end, it's hard to go wrong with a good Kenpo school, no matter which style/system/lineage/spelling you choose to follow.
    Again, just my opinion .

i agree
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks
    Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,408 Posts

No ****. Well written.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,308 Posts

I would have to say the Modern Parker version of Kenpo explores more "short hand" techniques than the previous versions. I was shown that when studying Tracy's Kenpo way back in the eighties.
    Sean

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Which Ken/mpo?

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoChanger View Post
    I would have to say the Modern Parker version of Kenpo explores more "short hand" techniques than the previous versions. I was shown that when studying Tracy's Kenpo way back in the eighties.
    Sean
    Agreed....... much more evolved and civilized.

* Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne View Post
    Agreed....... much more evolved and civilized.
    That's funny... "civilized" is never a word I've heard associated with good Kenpo!

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Wink Re: Which Ken/mpo?

Quote Originally Posted by bdparsons View Post
    That's funny... "civilized" is never a word I've heard associated with good Kenpo!

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    * Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links