Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Rank vs. Academic Rank

Thanks

Default Kenpo Rank vs. Academic Rank

http://americankenpoforum.com/blogs/...mic-ranks.aspx

I found this to be interesting. I actually have a Masters in something . Take a look.

Thanks James
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kenpo Rank vs. Academic Rank

I personally feel that a black belt is worth academic rank. You're studying a legitimate field (self-defense; fight science; personal combat; whatever you want to call it) and I think that knowledge should be recognized. It would be nicer if actual universities gave degrees in martial arts, but I'm not holding my breath. I can't say I really agree with the listings there, though, as I think first dan is more like an associate's degree...
    Parker Kenpo Karate

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

I mostly agree with the comparison, and further note that ranks above 5th are administrative and organizational positions after getting the rank of professor.

So they are dependent upont the organization that the professor belongs to.

Thanks for the post!

Juan M. Mercado

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I dunno, I'd probably lean towards a no on this. I certainly recognize the significant time and effort (both physical and intellectual) required to achieve BB ranking, but I don't think it is really an academic pursuit. What would you think of your particular State University awarding the Bachelor of, Master of, and Doctor of [Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc.]?

I suppose we could argue over the teacher vs. participant roles, where expertise in practice and education warrants consideration (think physical education). My college roommates' father had a PhD in Sports Physiology and was Full Prof. at the school, we kidded him about being a Doctor of Gym.
    Last edited by Mark L; 06-10-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Thanks

iv always attributed first dan as a "highschool graduate" lol you know your basics, and you're (hopefully) ready for the real world.

with second being AA, third bachelors, fourth masters, fifth doctorate, 6th professor, etc.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    I dunno, I'd probably lean towards a no on this. I certainly recognize the significant time and effort (both physical and intellectual) required to achieve BB ranking, but I don't think it is really an academic pursuit. What would you think of your particular State University awarding the Bachelor of, Master of, and Doctor of [Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc.]?

I suppose we could argue over the teacher vs. participant roles, where expertise in practice and education warrants consideration (think physical education). My college roommates' father had a PhD in Sports Physiology and was Full Prof. at the school, we kidded him about being a Doctor of Gym.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

MARSHALLS KENPO (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Martial arts rank doesn't mean squat outside of the training studio. Though, many people think that it does.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongfooey View Post
    Martial arts rank doesn't mean squat outside of the training studio. Though, many people think that it does.
    It's an analogy not a literal comparison. I'd hoped that much would be obvious. Apparently not?
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

bdparsons (06-11-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (06-11-2007),Martin Seck (06-11-2007),parkerkarate (06-10-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'm pickin up-what your puttin down, Kenpoist should hold themselves to the same type of standards in the Academic field or any other field that hold these titles. Beside I believe that Kenpo is extremely Academic, what other system has an Encyclopedia to explain all the terms we use. An just ask the teens in my class how the all did in the health final when they had to name all the bones and organs in the body. It's hard for some to look at a picture and memorize all of these things, so I put it in a context that they would understand, attaching the name of what body part they are striking in a technique, thats cool. They all did extremely well, even though one of the boys got strange looks from his teacher when he started going thru his tech in his seat when he couldn't remember what body part he had to name.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to akskarate1 For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-11-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

you might find this interesting http://satansbarber.co.uk/files/chap...ducational.htm

also from Martial Science University:
    1. B.S. Degree - (Assistant Instructor) for first degree.
    2. B.S. Degree - (Associate Instructor) for second degree.
    3. B.S. Degree - (Senior Instructor) for third degree.
    4. M.S. Degree - (Senior Head Instructor) for fourth degree.
    5. M.S. Degree - (Master Instructor) for fifth degree.
    6. M.S. Degree - (Senior Master Instructor/Associate Professor) for sixth.
    7. Ph.D. Degree - (Professor) for seventh degree.
    8. Ph.D. Degree - (Senior Professor) for eighth degree.
    9. Ph.D. Degree - (Master Professor) for a ninth degree.
    10. Ph.D. Degree - (Senior Master Professor) for tenth degree
    Coursebook # 101 (72 hours minimum)

“Introduction to American Kenpo I”

Course Description:
    This course is the first step in a journey to American Kenpo mastery. Here a student is subjected to the protocol and discipline dominant throughout the system to foster respect and insure safety. A student will learn how to wear the traditional uniform and how to tie its belt. A student will learn how to present themselves for practice, and prepare to study. The lab portion consists of learning basic skills including blocks, strikes, stances. These are than put together into ten basic “Situational Self-Defense Techniques” designed to thwart common everyday attacks.
    The self-defense techniques are then used as a vehicle to begin the process of learning physical principles, concepts, and their applications on the human body. Basic forms are introduced employing basic blocks, and kicks. A basic terminology and vocabulary is established. A student will also learn the history of the “Father of American Karate” Ed Parker Sr., The founder and creator of American Kenpo. The minimum number of “training hours” is separate from study time. The successful completion of a written and physical examination will give a student the equivalent of an Advanced Kenpo “yellow belt.”
    Required Equipment/Supplies: Course 101 Workbook, white heavy Kenpo Uniform, groin protector, mouthguard, black 3 ring binder, etc. and Advanced System Student Body Crest for the front of the uniform.
    Required Text: Volume # 1 - Infinite Insights of American Kenpo, by Ed Parker Sr.
    Optional Text: ”Secrets of Chinese Karate” by Ed Parker Sr.
    Prerequisite: Instructor interview and personal evaluation of the ability to benefit from the program.

Course # 102 (80 hours minimum)

“Introduction to American Kenpo II”

This course is a continuation of the 101 course with more emphasis placed on practical application of previous learned basic skills. Self-Defense techniques are moved to a more physical level....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidCC For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoJuJitsu3 View Post
    It's an analogy not a literal comparison. I'd hoped that much would be obvious. Apparently not?

I understand that it was an analogy, but thanks for the slam anyway.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    you might find this interesting http://satansbarber.co.uk/files/chap...ducational.htm

also from Martial Science University:
    1. B.S. Degree - (Assistant Instructor) for first degree.
    2. B.S. Degree - (Associate Instructor) for second degree.
    3. B.S. Degree - (Senior Instructor) for third degree.
    4. M.S. Degree - (Senior Head Instructor) for fourth degree.
    5. M.S. Degree - (Master Instructor) for fifth degree.
    6. M.S. Degree - (Senior Master Instructor/Associate Professor) for sixth.
    7. Ph.D. Degree - (Professor) for seventh degree.
    8. Ph.D. Degree - (Senior Professor) for eighth degree.
    9. Ph.D. Degree - (Master Professor) for a ninth degree.
    10. Ph.D. Degree - (Senior Master Professor) for tenth degree
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the same analogies SGM Parker used. I think relating levels of bb to university levels of achievment helps people understand the relationship between the work, time and expertise one has.

Now to play devil's advocate here
    Some will argue that martial achievement "don't mean squat" BUT what about the student of say History, who gets an undergrad degree, then continues into a masters and finally getting a PHD in Ancient Greek History. Does that really translate into the real world? So is there a difference?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-11-2007),KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these are the same analogies SGM Parker used. I think relating levels of bb to university levels of achievment helps people understand the relationship between the work, time and expertise one has.

Now to play devil's advocate here
    Some will argue that martial achievement "don't mean squat" BUT what about the student of say History, who gets an undergrad degree, then continues into a masters and finally getting a PHD in Ancient Greek History. Does that really translate into the real world? So is there a difference?
    As I'm just killing time till the dentist, I'll bite...

I think that both the achievements of the martial artist, and someone with a PHD in Ancient Greek History translate into the real world. Both can allow them to earn a living, and earn the respect of their peers. However, I think there is a pretty big difference.

Both are fairly different pursuits. Someone mentioned that we have an encyclopedia for some of the terms we use. While this is true, and Kenpo contains a lot of knowledge, I don't think the mental aspects of the terminology is something that couldn't be contained in a 3-5 hour class during a semester. The rest is mostly training your body to understand those concepts without having to actively think about them.

I agree that it's kinda fun to take a look at what are rank might equate to in a university setting, but for me that's all it is. We already have a ranking system that more or less gives people an idea where strangers stand in their training. I don't think we need to try and come up with another. Besides, if BS and MS titles are handed out over such a wide range of rank, what is the point? Wouldn't most people agree there is a big difference between a 3rd black and a 1st black? I think the 10 degrees does a better job than trying to match it to someone than assigning an undergraduate degree for several ranks. In addition, if we want to start doing that are we going to hand out GPA's? Obviously there are going to be differences between black belts of different lineages, but what about differences between black belts at the same school? Should we give the students who excel the 4.0 and the people who don't something worthy of them?

As I said before, it's fun to think about, but I'm not personally interested in matching my rank to a degree from my university.
    Last edited by Wishbone; 06-11-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling, Clarity

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wishbone For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-11-2007),execkenpo (06-11-2007),KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    Wouldn't most people agree there is a big difference between a 3rd black and a 1st black? I think the 10 degrees does a better job than trying to match it to someone who has an undergraduate degree. In addition, if we want to start doing that are we going to hand out GPA's? Obviously there are going to be differences between black belts of different lineages, but what about differences between black belts at the same school? Should we give the students who excel the 4.0 and the people who don't something worthy of them?

As I said before, it's fun to think about, but I'm not personally interested in matching my rank to a degree from my university.
    I think you're on to something here with your GPA idea. You say that there is a big difference between 1st and 3rd's. There definately SHOULD BE, but we have all seen examples where this is not true.

As for matching rank to university, that doesn't interest me either and was merely playing devil's advocate to spur conversation. Thanks for playing!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to execkenpo For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (06-11-2007),KenpoJuJitsu3 (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongfooey View Post
    I understand that it was an analogy, but thanks for the slam anyway.
    No slam. I asked a question. But if you took it as a slam you're welcome? I could very well say that you're posting of the ranks "not meaning squat" and "some people thinking they do" as a slam on me since I posted the original comparison that you said "doesn't mean squat." Notice I did not. Less sensitivity please....especially when saying someone else's possible opinion "doesn't mean squat". Pot calling the kettle....? I hope not.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

23. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

execkenpo (06-11-2007)

Thanks

Howdy- So what did we decide? Do I have a B.A. Yet?

VERY interesting topic-- Both points make sense.
    The above is just my opinion.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Howdy- So what did we decide? Do I have a B.A. Yet?

VERY interesting topic-- Both points make sense.
    I think I'll just keep my B.B. degree. Where I train it's called a Black Belt. For some it is a Bachelors in Bull.... and the only way to find out which it is, is to "get on the mat"!
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

26. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

jdinca (06-11-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think I'll just keep my B.B. degree. Where I train it's called a Black Belt. For some it is a Bachelors in Bull.... and the only way to find out which it is, is to "get on the mat"!
    Haha, so that's BB as opposed to BS!

From what I've seen on your vids I think getting on the mat would be a learning experience. No footage of just you doing techniques though?

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

James, I agree 100%

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    Haha, so that's BB as opposed to BS!

From what I've seen on your vids I think getting on the mat would be a learning experience. No footage of just you doing techniques though?
    Soon to come. My brother and I are going to beat on each other soon (he wants revenge for how many times I clipped him at the seminar). Probably going to do some Forms too.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts

30. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

execkenpo (06-11-2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links