Thread: Sand!!!

Thanks

Default Sand!!!

Been practicing forms. My favorite place to practice forms is anywhere there is a lot of level, even, undisturbed sand. I can go back after I've done the form and retrace my steps. Check the pattern of movment, width an depth of stances, stutters in transitions show up. You can learn a lot by tracking yourself in the sand.

Any of you do something similar?

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Sand!!!

I do. I set down markers (usually staves if I'm outside) at my beginning and ending points. Many forms have a certain ending point if done correctly; for example, at the end of short form 1 you will end up in exactly the same spot where you started at the end of the form if you do it correctly.

I also often have a friend videotape me doing forms and techniques; it lets me catch a lot of mistakes I would never otherwise have seen.

The idea of doing forms in sand does sound pretty good; I think I'll try that next time I'm at the beach.
    Parker Kenpo Karate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Default Re: Sand!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Been practicing forms. My favorite place to practice forms is anywhere there is a lot of level, even, undisturbed sand. I can go back after I've done the form and retrace my steps. Check the pattern of movment, width an depth of stances, stutters in transitions show up. You can learn a lot by tracking yourself in the sand.

Any of you do something similar?

Dan C
    Just wear shoes for all of your working out.

Then anything in life is easy as far as movement goes.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links