Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kenpo Continuum

Thanks

Default Kenpo Continuum

I started this as a new thread because I've changed the focus on the book concept.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://www.sacramentokenpokarate.com...continuum.html.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (06-05-2007),universalsomething (07-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Default Re: Kenpo Continuum

Kewl stuff, Amy. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

amylong (06-04-2007)

Thanks

I'm in! I'd enjoy reading about my cousins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mikael151 For This Useful Post:

amylong (06-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Sounds good. I dont qualify, but I will pass it on to my instructor and the 70-something 3rd degree that takes class with us...heck I might buy her page just to hear her story!

Now speaking of books on different subjects, I'll have to talk to you about that...I have a friend.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anoise For This Useful Post:

amylong (06-04-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Amy, you have my support.

I think this is an excellent idea and may help to bridge the gap between our "cousins."

I think perhaps and basic "form" outlining what each contributer should submit would help. Outside of basic "name", "rank", and "lineage" you could have areas for "biography" and "most memorable experience." Know what I mean?

Anyway, great idea!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

amylong (06-05-2007)

Thanks

I don't have very much to offer. But I am in if you want me. I have some stories.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Amy, you have my support.

I think this is an excellent idea and may help to bridge the gap between our "cousins."

I think perhaps and basic "form" outlining what each contributer should submit would help. Outside of basic "name", "rank", and "lineage" you could have areas for "biography" and "most memorable experience." Know what I mean?

Anyway, great idea!
    Thanks Crippler and David. I do know what you mean and I have some things in mind. If anyone has any sample questions other than the basics, throw them out.

When I have it all set and ready to go, I'll post it.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Are you going to accept anyone who coughs up the 50 samolians? That could be either a boring book, or full of a lot of, uh, "inacuracies."

I think this could be a really interesting project if you were to limmit entries to those who meet certain standards. Say, those with good human interest. Humerous (but not goofy) entries. Inspirational stories. Stories of accomplishment, of good deeds, or just well written, interesting stories. But you should retain the right to be selective. Also, it might be good to have some kind of verification process.

If you went with that kind of content, though, I think you'd unnecessarily limmit yourself by only accepting black belts. Maybe that should weigh their entry more. But there are some pretty good stories from people that never will reach that rank.

However you do it, sounds like a cool project. Good luck.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (06-05-2007)

Thanks

I think the book would naturally draw more of an audience if it were limited to black belts with many years of experience.

JMO.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    I think the book would naturally draw more of an audience if it were limited to black belts with many years of experience.

JMO.
    I agree with this. That's why I said 10yrs. experience. There are some who would do more with less time, but not most.

I also have a concern about what people have to say about who they worked with. Some things I will take some time to verify, but some things will be mighty difficult to confirm.

I will help people who don't write very well. I'm going to come up with some hopefully interesting questions to illicit some more interesting responses.

Maybe a question about when they've gotten to use their martial arts, the funniest thing that has happened, etc.

If any of you have any interesting questions ideas, please post them. I can use all the help I can get.

--Amy

Thanks

As an update, the project is humming along.

I had a conversation a day or two ago with Ed Parker Jr. and he offered something so amazing that I practically fell off my chair.

He offered to write the forward and to do the cover art.

He said that the book was for the kenpo community and furthered his father's legacy and so he wanted to offer that.

It was an extremely EXTREMELY generous offer and I am beside myself with happiness that he did.

I'm probably going to be pushing the deadline back a few weeks though since my vacation schedule has now been set to go through the first week of August. So the deadline will likely be a week after that.

I've read some of the stories submitted so far too and they're really interesting. I'm also taking a stab at inviting as many first generation black belts as I can find email addresses for.

If you know of any who you think might like to join in, please pm me their email, if it's okay with them.

Thanks!

-Amy

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amylong For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (07-07-2007),universalsomething (07-07-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Fan-phreaking-tastic, Amy! That is GREAT news!!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-07-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I had a conversation a day or two ago with Ed Parker Jr. and he offered something so amazing that I practically fell off my chair.

He offered to write the forward and to do the cover art.

He said that the book was for the kenpo community and furthered his father's legacy and so he wanted to offer that.

WOW!!!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt

AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Kenpo Continuum

* Why is there always time to do it over, when there is never time to do it right?
    * K
    -knowledge E-enriches N-nice P-people O-only
    * All I ask for is ... Measurable Progress in Reasonable Time .....
    * Time will either Promote you or Expose You!
    * There are two ways of spreading the light.... 1]. to be the candle or 2]. the mirror that reflects it!
    * It's not what you take with you when you go....... but rather what you leave behind!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenOne View Post

Hey! Where have you been?!?!?!!?!?!?

kit
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

You might take a look at Bob Walls book of many years ago. Who's who in the martial arts.
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I have both years and rank under my black belt (plus a little fat) but since I've been posting and reading Kenpotalk (which I love) I realize that I am just a little speck in the sea of Kenpo experts who have studied with many of those included in 'The journey' , alas my sensei never saw greatness. I think that because there are many like myself whose linage whould put readers to sleep you might consider having several sections in the book.
    But tongue out of cheek, your idea of a book sounds great and you have my vote...and no doubt soon my money.

Kit

26. The Following User Says Thank You to kit For This Useful Post:

amylong (07-12-2007)

Thanks

Recently, I had someone pay for two of his former instructors to be in the book, but he didn't have their email addresses.

Does anyone have the contact info for Steve Fox or Craig McCoy?

Since their admission is already taken care of, I really need to find them.

Thanks!

--Amy

Thanks

I found Craig McCoy and was told Steve Fox wasn't interested in dealing with kenpo people anymore.

I had to extend the deadline again because my printer went belly-up. I need to find another one before I can continue.

So any of you who still want to participate still can.

I know a lot of people have talked about it and said they wanted to, but then haven't followed through. I'd love to see a whole slew of people on KT participate. We could all mention how cool KT has been in our development as kenpoists.

Thanks

The cover of the book is done. It's posted at http://www.sacramentokenpokarate.com...continuum.html

It looks wonderful. Edmund did a fabulous job.

I also have my printer back online and ready to go and 3 weeks until the deadline. If you haven't sent in your info yet, please do.

I also sent out my story in the mailer that's going out tonight to give people an idea.

Just thought I'd share my progress.

--Amy

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing! The artwork is beautiful!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links