Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default The future?

The thread "The 'Death' of EPAK?" got me to thinking about how the death of Ed Parker splintered the kenpo community. I was wondering what it will be like when there are no more 1st Gen's around. Many are the heads of their own particular "style" or "organizations" but because they are 1st Gen's the still garner the respect of most of the community. What do you think will happen when they are gone?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: The future?

DVDs live on forever!

We have so much written and visual information and there are so many good instructors out there, that I think we'll just continue plugging along as we have been.

As long as there are those who are willing to learn and grow and become more effective as they go, things will just go plugging along.

After awhile, I imagine some of the offshoots will sort of become different styles, but there will always be kenpo.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

I would say it depends on how much they've prepared and how well they've trained their replacements. Some will go by the wayside, other's will muddle along and some will still continue to thrive. Darwinism in action.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    I would say it depends on how much they've prepared and how well they've trained their replacements. Some will go by the wayside, other's will muddle along and some will still continue to thrive. Darwinism in action.

So, things will continue as before. lol.

Just because someone was trained directly from Parker doesn't guarantee they learned all they were supposed to, that they got out of it what was intended or that they have any natural ability (at either teaching or doing).

So, SSDD.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    So, things will continue as before. lol.

Just because someone was trained directly from Parker doesn't guarantee they learned all they were supposed to, that they got out of it what was intended or that they have any natural ability (at either teaching or doing).

So, SSDD.

--Amy
    Yup. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I know some will thrive, and some will fall by the proverbial wayside. What concerns me is that there is the possibility of there being a lack of "recognition" or "respect" because these styles or schools are no longer represented by a 1st Gen which would splinter the community even further than it is now.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (06-02-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I know some will thrive, and some will fall by the proverbial wayside. What concerns me is that there is the possibility of there being a lack of "recognition" or "respect" because these styles or schools are no longer represented by a 1st Gen which would splinter the community even further than it is now.
    The question is, recognition from who? Those of us in the kenpo world will keep tabs on who the "up and coming" seniors are. I would maybe look to the GOE happening later this month to get an idea of who some of them might be down the road. As for others, there've been a number already mentioned. For that matter, some of the truly great ones may only be known by word of mouth because they choose not to stand in the limelight.

TMAs are still alive and thriving, even though the "first generation" is very long gone. What matters the most is the quality of those that replace them and how they conduct themselves and their business once they are the next group at the top of the heap. What will kill kenpo faster than anything is shoddy teachers and political back biting. As long as we can get along in our different styles and take care to provide the highest quality instruction that we can, I think kenpo will do just fine. Once, that's addressed, THEN I think the question of lineages can come into play to help maintain the prestige. In addition, we need to teach our students the history of kenpo, in addition to teaching them kenpo.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

madeku (06-13-2007)

Thanks

That is highly probable, Captain.
    Actually, I think that if the art is named for the person, and that person dies; the art goes with them (so to speak). But Kenpo as a whole is debatable. Kenpo is not easy to learn and doesn't pay well in the ring/octagon. It's invaluable on the street, but, I don't think people will recognize this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

its better to burn out, then it is to rust...
    "Rust Never Sleeps" - N.Young.

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

I don't think much will happen when the first generaton people are gone.
    They are so different from each other it is had to realize that they all trained in the same group. They all move different. They think different and they teach different. We will certainly miss all of them, but Kenpo will go on and on. It always has.

If you compare them on Video there are some major differences. You have to decide which one you want to follow. We try to pick up as much as we can from each of them. I guess we do them honor by emulatng them. Not many other heros out there today for us to follow.

I am Most Respectfully,
    Sifuroy

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sifuroy For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-13-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings!

Crippler, the answer is simple.

You me and Amy will form an organization and we'll all become 100th degrees with James Hawkins, the Dr. Daves, Dan and all others on this board that I forgot to mention for lack of thoroughness

(I'm really sorry, feel free to add yourselves to the list to become 100th degrees with us!!!!!).

Then we'll meet at the Kenpo Lunar Camp to practice the techniques at less than 1g of gravitational load.

Then we'll give seminars on the effects of modern weapons like energy ball projection, phasers and blasters have on Kenpo techniqes and how they have to be changed to accomodate these.

Then we'll reminise on the days where you had to actually train instead of installing kenpo like software as they do now.

And Crippler and James will have hair. And we'll laughf about the times when they didn't.

then we'll haev sparring matches on our crutches, walkers and ultra high tech rocket/anti gravity wheelchairs...

And we'll have scores of adoring students fighting amonst themselves while we remain friends!

Ahhh... the memories. Very cool!

Much fun!

Juan M. Mercado

15. The Following User Says Thank You to profesormental For This Useful Post:

maruchan (06-14-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

The thread "The 'Death' of EPAK?" got me to thinking about how the death of Ed Parker splintered the kenpo community. I was wondering what it will be like when there are no more 1st Gen's around. Many are the heads of their own particular "style" or "organizations" but because they are 1st Gen's the still garner the respect of most of the community. What do you think will happen when they are gone?
    Not much for those that "live at cause".

Everyone gets old.

Everyone dies.

Change is the only thing that stays the same.

Marketing is the Master Key here.

Many people know Kenpo Karate real good.

So the use of marketing and educational materials is an easy skill to pick up.

Doc John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    its better to burn out, then it is to rust...
    Highlander I, right?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Actually, THIS LIST is the only attempt I've seen that is intent upon bringing back Kenpo Karate into an "ohana", a family in the Hawaiian tradition.

Doc John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,088 Posts

I may get slamed but oh well.

The people and the associations may fade into the night. However the sprit of the art will carry itself. As we train and learn from those who came before us, we honor them by sharring what they have taught us with others. In doing so we pass on a part of them. Where I am concerned is with the lack of leadership for the younger ranks.

Where do they turn for direction with so many great associations and teachers of Kenpo ? What will it take to unite the brother / sister hood of the art? And will any of us see it in our life time?

It will take a truely special person to lead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post

The people and the associations may fade into the night. However the sprit of the art will carry itself. As we train and learn from those who came before us, we honor them by sharring what they have taught us with others. In doing so we pass on a part of them. Where I am concerned is with the lack of leadership for the younger ranks.

Where do they turn for direction with so many great associations and teachers of Kenpo ? What will it take to unite the brother / sister hood of the art? And will any of us see it in our life time?

Hunnnnn?

Doc John

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I know the thread is about EPAK and I mean no disrespect here. But before there was Ed Parker, there was always Kenpo/Kempo. So I am sure there will be Kenpo many centuries later.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kempojujutsu View Post
    I know the thread is about EPAK and I mean no disrespect here. But before there was Ed Parker, there was always Kenpo/Kempo. So I am sure there will be Kenpo many centuries later.
    Well,

Not the way most of us here have learned it.

Do you have Motobu's book?

Compare it to a Kenpo Karate Blue belt.

Doesn't really matter which style, Parker, Doc C, me, Tracy, Hawaiian Kenpo, blab, blab, blab.

Things do evolve.

Though I guess I don't need to drive my Scion XA 12 miles to work. (It gets 44 mpg in town).

I could walk, run, or maybe ride a cow.

There's always been transportation of one type or another, and all types are equal, right?

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHALLS KENPO View Post

Why must Kenpo be united?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Carol For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (06-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Do you have Motobu's book?
    Yes I do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links