View Poll Results: What is the ideal training environment?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • A large school/chain with many students and instructors

3 15.00%
  • A small school with few students and 1-2 instructors

8 40.00%
  • A club or garage with very few students and 1 instructor

5 25.00%
  • One on one with a single instructor

4 20.00%

Thread: What is the ideal training environment?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default What is the ideal training environment?

In your opinion, what is the ideal training envirnonment and why?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What is the ideal training environment?

My instructor doesn't want to take more than 10 students. Currently there are 4 of us. There is one 3rd dan that helps (as much as she can...she's in her late 70's).
    I feel I get enough individual attention, but with other students I have an opportunity to teach as well....and my instructor is right there to help me out with teaching as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    That would depend on what you are training, what you are training for, what phase of that training you are working on, and on what you mean by the question in the first place.

Dan (seeing the whole elephant a big pile of chunks) C
    Last edited by thedan; 05-17-2007 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Doan't you just hate us big picture folks?
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I'm going to say everything. Working out solo in the woods is great, as is in front of a mirror. One on one time with an instructor can really help fine tune your technique, and group classes let you learn from others mistakes and strengths. Teaching newer people has always taught me something. No one environment is going to get you used to working on all surfaces in all areas. Ever try kicking on ice? Doing techniques on sand? With boxes in the way? All are very worth experiencing, as are the usual varieties of hardwood floor, grass, and carpet. These can't usually be had with a group, or even one on one. Some of my best revelations have come when I'm by myself. Long story short, don't limit yourself to any one training modality.
    Last edited by Dharma_Punk; 05-17-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    "Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result." - Tien T'ai
    "If you train very hard, you will be very good." - Remy Presas

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dharma_Punk For This Useful Post:

Celtic_Crippler (05-18-2007)

Thanks

A small group of us in Greg Hilderbrand's garage. He also brings in "visitors", other top AKKI guys.
    I like the environment because the small group of us can take the time to hit on our individual areas of interest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks

i think alot of the schools have their advantages and disidvantages..

i like mine.. on a given night there's anywhere from 4-12 students, as well as like 3 inactive ppl that could pop in at a moment's notice. and one teacher (6th) we had a 2nd as an assistant but he was in a motorcycle accident in april.. had to have 3 pins put in his leg.. his sparring career is pretty much out the window, if not martial arts in general (they said itd be 12 weeks before he can even go back to work). sometimes ill get called to body for demonstrations to the class lol. or to help the newbies out.

the benefit is a moderate school you get one on one time, but also have plenty of guinea pigs.. uhh i mean partners

the down side of that is you might not always get the kind of partners you want.. to small, are afraid of hitting or getting hit, have probs with control, etc.. for instance we have one kid. hes like 14.. afraid of hitting or getting hit in techniques.. but the kid can spar.. he can whoop my behind ill tell you lol but some times its hard to find someone with a martial mindset. not just someone who goes to class to get fit, or to learn something new/useful, or build confidence. but someone who goes over ideas and concepts and principles in their head all day.. ppl who do research on other arts and analize others. ppl who become martial artisans

another downside is if you're the only one at your belt level. it can be hard to find people who are learning the same thing to work with.

but you make better friends in that kind of environment, and its more friendly environment. there's days id like it to be a huge school so id have a variaty of ppl to train with.. other days im beggin for more one on one time cos i just cant seem to get something down.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

The one that you use.

Why?
    Because you will and do use it.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

10. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anoise View Post
    My instructor doesn't want to take more than 10 students. Currently there are 4 of us. There is one 3rd dan that helps (as much as she can...she's in her late 70's).
    I feel I get enough individual attention, but with other students I have an opportunity to teach as well....and my instructor is right there to help me out with teaching as well.
    Well,
    That's one of the reasons that private sessions are so powerful.

You learn much faster (7 to 15 times faster) with no stress or embarrassment.

And you get all of his attention all the time.

In a group of 10 people that goes for an hour, you'd be lucky to get beyond "monkey see monkey do" phase.

Being generous, you might get 3-5 minutes of the instructor's time in an hour.

I just finished up a teaching a 2 hour Mastery class, and that is what happens.

You ask yourself, "who's screwing up the worse?" and you fix them and by fixing them you "hope" (what a worthless word) you also fix the others who are not quite as bad.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    That would depend on what you are training, what you are training for, what phase of that training you are working on, and on what you mean by the question in the first place.

Dan (seeing the whole elephant a big pile of chunks) C
    Dan,
    That's a great answer.
    So if you could pick one example from all those green chunks laying on the ground which one might it be?

And I know that you don't know, but if you did know...

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151 View Post
    A small group of us in Greg Hilderbrand's garage. He also brings in "visitors", other top AKKI guys.
    I like the environment because the small group of us can take the time to hit on our individual areas of interest.
    Cool.

Semi-private sessions, with quality trainers, where there is no opportunity for others to barge in and waste your time.

Sounds like a great place to train.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

14. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Mikael151 (05-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma_Punk View Post
    I'm going to say everything. Working out solo in the woods is great, as is in front of a mirror. One on one time with an instructor can really help fine tune your technique, and group classes let you learn from others mistakes and strengths. Teaching newer people has always taught me something. No one environment is going to get you used to working on all surfaces in all areas. Ever try kicking on ice? Doing techniques on sand? With boxes in the way? All are very worth experiencing, as are the usual varieties of hardwood floor, grass, and carpet. These can't usually be had with a group, or even one on one. Some of my best revelations have come when I'm by myself. Long story short, don't limit yourself to any one training modality.
    Cool.

An internally motivated person.

Doing what you need, when and where you need it.

Giving yourself the feedback that is important to you.

Cool.

Most who train do NOT have that meta-program.

It's a real nice one to have.

It means that you "own" your own world.

Sincerely,
    Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

There is no "right" or "wrong" answer.

I thought this would make an intresting topic and be a chance to see some various perspecitives and opinions from different members based on their unique training experiences.

I think there are many good answers in this thread. Many of which were very positive in nature; not bashing one method or another. Now, that's cool!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have a good friend who we used to just go out in the yard and train. Ruin the grass and train.
    www.hunterskarate.com

"I believe that to have a friend, a man must be one."

- From the Lone Ranger's Creed

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I guess my answer will be like most of the others, I like a combination of the options. I also want to add that my opinions are assuming that the quality of instruction in all of these settings is high.

Right now I think my favorite would be a large school with several students and instructors, but also with regular 1-on-1 private training with one instructor. At this stage in my training I like getting the slightly different perspectives from the 4 instructors I regularly work out with. Earlier, that might have been too confusing to me. I also like the "multiple guinea pigs" idea madeku mentioned. If I only work on the same person all the time, I get into ruts -- we know each other's movements too well. I remember thinking I really had one technique working well, then I went to a camp and we did that technique but I had a new "body" to work on. It took me SEVERAL tries before I could get the tech to work. Talk about a wake-up call. Now I try to change up my partners as often as possible, and when I go to camps and seminars, I make sure I don't work out with anyone I have experience with. Sometimes a bit more frustrating, but I think it has been very beneficial for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

...not bashing one method or another. Now, that's cool!
    Ahh, shut yer yap!

Sorry. Great smart aleck opportunities should not be passed up.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

thedan (05-18-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John M. La Tourrette View Post
    So if you could pick one example from all those green chunks laying on the ground which one might it be?

And I know that you don't know, but if you did know...
    Of course I know.

Phase.

Want to know why?

Dan C
    Last edited by thedan; 05-18-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Dang, Dr D, beat me to it!
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (05-18-2007)

Thanks

Butt seriously...me likie the small, focused workgroups. Big classes are fun once in awhile; keep the intensity up. But mostly, I prefer to delve deeply and follow threads as they crop up in Q&A, and find that hard with larger classes.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Of course I know.

Phase.

Want to know why?

Dan C
    I can't help but be curious.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I have a good friend who we used to just go out in the yard and train. Ruin the grass and train.
    Well I've trained on the beach in Maui, in the woods at Lake Lucern...

...in the weight room at Atlantis in the Bahamas.

On the beach in Isla Mujeres.

In a motel bedroom in Sacramento,

Blab, blab, blab.

And before doing any of those workouts I needed to "WANT TO" do the training first.

Doctor J.

Thanks

Of course I know.

Phase.

Want to know why?

Dan C
    No.

I'll suffer.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links