Thread: That moment of epiphany

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Default That moment of epiphany

Some of you already know a bit about my Kenpo journey that I've trained at six different studios along the way. I read a thread not too long ago mentioning how SifuDangeRuss had difficulty doing a hook kick and was taught by an observer the solution of the kicking motion being similar to riding a bike horizontally. That, for him, was a moment of epiphany. It is surprising how another person can influence how each of us may travel on our martial art journey.
    (Link to SifuDangeRuss's thread: Looking at things a little bit Differently)

My moment of epiphany, for me, was not so much a matter of how to do a basic move, but rather , finding the correct training attitude. At that time of the experience, I transitioned from one studio to another and had difficulty adjusting to the change. This moment was pivotal as it taught me to stay with Kenpo and to "empty my cup".

What were your moments of epiphanies and what did you learn?

Mr. XYZ was trying to teach me a lance technique. I was holding down Mr. XYZ in an arm lock while talking of “what if he does this, what if he does that” scenarios. At that very point in my mid-sentence, it was as if I heard the voice of Mr. ABC say to me, “CC, stop.” I paused right there. It was a moment of epiphany; I recognized what I was doing. Mr. ABC was right. There is such a thing as a training mindset--just being able to do is not enough. I realized I wasn’t questioning Mr. XYZ out of concern of what my attacker might do. I realized I was challenging Mr. XYZ; essentially, I wasn’t trusting him to teach me. I looked at Mr. XYZ’s eyes and he looked back at me, waiting, and probably wondering why I paused. I took a deep breath and said, “Let me back track a bit.” I changed my question from a “what if he…” to a “how do I…” question. He relaxed and smiled. I think he sensed something had happened. I released him from the arm lock and allowed him to show me how. From that point on, the dynamics of training changed and my Kenpo journey went into another direction. This simple, but significant moment has altered the way I viewed Kenpo and intensified my love for Kenpo.

- Ceicei
    Last edited by Ceicei; 05-09-2007 at 02:04 AM.
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ceicei For This Useful Post:

Dianhsuhe (05-09-2007),Dr. Dave in da house (05-09-2007),John Brewer (05-09-2007),Mikael151 (05-10-2007),Richard Finn (05-09-2007),thedan (05-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: That moment of epiphany

Congrats. There is nothing like getting hit with the proverbial frying panm in the head to give you some clarity
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ceicei View Post
    What were your moments of epiphanies and what did you learn?
    Good question- I've had a few, including the two examples you cited.

The hook kick I was taught by a TKD practitioner. I'd always had trouble with it, but he cleaned it up and showed me how it works. Now it is one of my favorites. Just getting a different perspective often turns on the light.

My problem with the "what if's" was a bit more difficult, as it involved my looking honestly in the miror. Jumping to IF too soon was an avoidance tactic. It's just plain easier, and more fun, to play what if than to knuckle down and work your understanding of the base tech up to street force, tear it apart for the principles, concepts, and mechanics that make it work (or not, sorry you pureists of practice). Like you said, changes the dynamics and intensifies the experience.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to thedan For This Useful Post:

Ceicei (05-09-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I met Epiphany in a bar one night. Bought her a drink, hoped things would advance, but she told me she wasn't ready to end things yet with her fiance, Synchronicity. Our conversation that night was filled with insightful coincidences.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Ceicei (05-09-2007),jdinca (05-09-2007),thedan (05-09-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    I met Epiphany in a bar one night. Bought her a drink, hoped things would advance, but she told me she wasn't ready to end things yet with her fiance, Synchronicity. Our conversation that night was filled with insightful coincidences.
    Thanks, Doc D. That will give me something to think on fer a while!

Dan (scratch'n my ...) C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

I know a girl whose parents named her Epiphany. It was as if they knew in advance that she would become a stripper. Which, she did. She danced under the name "Candy", though, but she wasn't very sweet.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    I know a girl whose parents named her Epiphany. It was as if they knew in advance that she would become a stripper. Which, she did. She danced under the name "Candy", though, but she wasn't very sweet.
    Says you.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

My first one was when I was an orange belt and had just joined the instructor trainee class. There I was in the way back corner of the room, totally lost and confused. For weeks, I walked out of that class thoroughly pissed off that they expected a 38 year old orange belt to keep up with the teenage brown belt who was in the #1 position at the front of the class. One night, this teeny light bulb flicked on in the dim recesses of my brain and I said to myself "oh, they don't expect me to keep up, they just expect me to bust my ass trying".

My hold mindset in that class went from survival mode to tyring to suck up as much information as I possibly could. Changed everything from that point on.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jdinca For This Useful Post:

Ceicei (05-10-2007)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links