Thread: One of those Holy **** moments

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default One of those Holy **** moments

Hey all,
    I just got back from class, and I've had one of those HOLY **** moments...
    After class, I did some bodywork, and then asked Mr. Ronemus for a little clarification on some of the things that I have learned in the past few weeks...We did some Dance of Death, and some various other things...Then I queried him on the rebound force in Shielding Hammer...that's when the HOLY **** moment happened...
    He demonstrated what to do(and what NOT to do), and then executed the first part of the technique...
    Well, after my hook STOPPED DEAD in mid-air, and I heard his fist go by my nose(within a millimeter, I swear), I thought it, and then said it...HOLY ****! ....Which sent Mr. Ronemus into a chuckle...
    I know many of you have had these moments, anyone care to share theirs?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Black St1300 For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (05-03-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Default Re: One of those Holy **** moments

I posted about this experience on MatialTalk years ago, but it will always stick with me.

It was black belt class and we were doing fully spontaneous combat. One on one, anything goes, five minute rounds. We were fighting with mma gloves on, and using control, but it was full combat, striking, throws, locks, ground fighting, and walls, floor, objects, nearby students, anything was fair game. I was paired up with our head instructor, and at one point I grabbed his lapel. He immediately executed lone lapel on me, and then threw me to the floor. There he mounted me and began raining controlled strikes to my face. When I tried to defend with one arm, he grabbed it, moved his leg over it, and pinned it under his mount position. Then when I tried to defend with the other, he repeated the process. At this point, I was completely immobilized and he just pounded my head into the floor, with control of course. He completely owned me during that match. It was the kind of beatdown I'll always cherish. With control, we were able to fight like that, at full intensity, and not get hurt, but we both knew who won.

-Rob
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

I was on a tour in China with a group of people from our school and one from back east. We were visiting a wushu school in the middle of nowhere when we found out that the BB's in our group were going to put on a demo. I was a green belt at the time and I ended up being a dummy for a couple of mass attacks. I'd been dummying for a while and felt pretty good about being able to get my hand up in time for whatever strike I was going to take to the head.

Our school master is a 5th degree BB and was in the demo. We had 15 minutes to put this thing together. He said, "okay, now you're going to take a back knuckle to the right temple". My hand went up, his fist hit mine, my hand hit my temple and my glasses landed about 15 feet away. Holy ****! was exactly what went through my mind.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

Thanks

I get those moments all the time! At the AKKI camp in March I had quite a few. But, in one seminar about buckling and sweeps by John Herman, I realized just how quickly you can introduce your opponent to the ground. The thing that got me was just how easy it really is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

What does Sifu DangeRuss call those again?......
    ..blinding flashes of the obvious?
    Epiphany is a wonderful thing.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celtic_Crippler For This Useful Post:

jdinca (05-02-2007),Mikael151 (05-05-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,583 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    That's beautiful! I can't wait to use that one in a conversation.
    Be careful what you say, some may take it the wrong way.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

My first introductory kenpo class before I signed up, is when I had this moment. We just happened to have a couple of black belts from another school working out with us, and they partnered me up with one of them (I'm guessing for 'effect'). He used Five Swords with an extension, first time I had ever seen it. I was so blown away by all these shots coming at me, I thought "holy ****"... and then I got real serious and looked him dead in his eye, and said "do that again."
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,425 Posts

Two moments, both with the same training partner. One of my students is a big dude. He was bulking up for a competitive body-building season, and had gotten so huge, the fire department vendors had to custom make turnouts for him...they didn't come in his size. And even the custom pairs were a bit small for him.

When he's bulked up and we're sparring, I can hit him about 5 times in an exchange where he hits me 2. So I'm being clever and quick, and peppering him in continuous. After several sort of smart-assed volleys on my part, he latches onto me, picks me up off my feet, and pins me to the wall several feet off the ground, with my feet dangling below me. Looking up at me, he sez, "Little man, you are starting to piss me off." Little? I was 6'3", 230 lbs. Holy *******, I'm gonna die.

Couple weeks later, I'm relating lessons to him from the Gracie Academy...after "catching" him several times, he yields to the idea of learning some grappling to augment his kenpo. I coach him to mount; all good. I have my hands, and am frustrating his movements with them, so he wants to know how to pin them. I show him how to kneel on one, and lay the elbow of the other accross the thigh for a control-to-break, leaving the other hand free to strike at will. No problem. Then he raises this ham-sized fist high overhead for a downward pile-driving clock to my noggin. In a flash, I realize I AM in the position of worst-day possibility...hands tied up, head flat to concrete, and about to get drilled by a gargantuan muscle-headed freak. Holy ****!. I'm gonna die!

I learned a basic "life theme" that season...Keep your friends close; keep your really dangerous friends even closer.

Be good,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 907 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Keep your friends close; keep your really dangerous friends even closer.

Amen!
    "All the time you're arguing over, is this kenpo, is that kenpo, you could be training!"

-Senior Instructor Bobby Thomas

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Mine was many years ago, I wasn't even a black belt in TKD yet. Our dojo has Jujitsu a few nights a week and one of the students was a black belt in Akido. He started teaching swords on weekends and brought his buddy to work out after.
    After one class I was talking to his buddy and he says punch me in the nose, slowly. OK so I did he made a small shift and parried. He said ok now start going faster until you get to full speed. So I start punching and he keeps parrying. Simple enough. Next thing I know I'm picking myself up off the floor. Holy crap! where the heck did that come from and how in the world did he do it so fast?!?!?!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: One of those Holy **** moments

Been doing kenpo since i was 4 now im 19 and rmemeebr teaching crashing wings with my instructor to a class of adults. Man i member learning this tech crashing wings ive always loved it

But when my instructor Paul McMurray or "Big Paul" as his known did this to me he made me do a full flip in the air and land on my stomach on the hammerfist. never in my life have i been hit so hard and fast all i remmeber is lookin at the floor thinkin
    "what the hell" and his standing over me grinning!

got to love those expierences in life, makes it all worth while when u can still have these moments after 15 years!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black St1300 View Post
    Hey all,
    I just got back from class, and I've had one of those HOLY **** moments...
    After class, I did some bodywork, and then asked Mr. Ronemus for a little clarification on some of the things that I have learned in the past few weeks...We did some Dance of Death, and some various other things...Then I queried him on the rebound force in Shielding Hammer...that's when the HOLY **** moment happened...
    He demonstrated what to do(and what NOT to do), and then executed the first part of the technique...
    Well, after my hook STOPPED DEAD in mid-air, and I heard his fist go by my nose(within a millimeter, I swear), I thought it, and then said it...HOLY ****! ....Which sent Mr. Ronemus into a chuckle...
    I know many of you have had these moments, anyone care to share theirs?
    You are in good hands with Mr. Ronemus.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

Black St1300 (05-04-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    You are in good hands with Mr. Ronemus.
    Yes Sir,
    The more time that I spend around Mr. R., the more that I realize how fortunate I am to be studying under him...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Nice ta know some of my thoughts still orbit through the mists of the mind now and again. (Even if ya did steal my Thunder)
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links