Thread: The heart of learning kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default The heart of learning kenpo

Where do you feel the principles of kenpo are best presented for learning? In the self defense techniques or in the forms? Do the forms and self defense techniques teach the same principles in different ways or do they offer entirely different concepts? Where are the basics the most strongly represented? Also which is more important or are they equally important? Or does it depend on the person entirely?
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Default Re: The heart of learning kenpo

I think they both have their uses..not quite sure if Id rate them equal. To me, forms show how the techniques can flow together...also I think it shows that you don't have to stop at one technique. If one didn't work, maybe this next one will.

Apologies if Im just rambling - its 2 am and I just had a long few days lol
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

IMHO, the forms show the motion in the Ideal phase...the way it's supposed to work. The techniques show application and allow you to experiment with the motion. Obviously, there is more to both forms and techniques than what I mentioned. I just think that's about the most basic way of looking at what's going on.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

Thanks

Forms provide answers to street combat but also leave room for interpretations of attack situations (e.g. take Long Form 2 for example). They are great for building one's endurance, especially Long Forms 3 and up.

The kenpo sets are awesome at isolating specific aspects of one's basics, and therefore offer a different method of learning basics. Together, the forms and sets teach students about correct posture, balance, stances, agility, fluidity, rooting, and so on.

The dictionary forms (the first two short and long forms) demonstrate rules and principles of motion and are the kenpo power principle forms. They are not meant to demonstrate an imaginary fight situation.

Self-defense techniques, when practiced on a partner, teach us about reaction timing, control, distance, targeting , as well as the aspects above (stances, agility, ect.).

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: The heart of learning kenpo

As a student I find all three of them (forms, sets & techniques) very useful for the reasons folks have already stated. As to which one best teaches the principles of motion; honestly, I don't know. It seems to me that they all teach/illustrate the principles.

Although some may disagree, it actually did help me to learn the "1 & 2" forms by picturing a possible attacker & attack; I need a context in order to understand what I'm doing. Maybe that's why I'm slightly partial to the SD techniques, because they give a context & have "what ifs" as well.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Here is another gem some of our newer members will benefit from.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,556 Times in 2,168 Posts

I think Seabrook put it very well.

In addition, we use "colored sets" to demonstrate proficiency in the lower belt rank material when a student is a green belt going for brown. We do the same with kata 12, which is our kata 1-6 on the left and right side.

Personally, I think a mix of techniques, forms and sets provide a great way to use multiple methods of learning. Each has a part to play in developing the student.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    Where do you feel the principles of kenpo are best presented for learning? In the self defense techniques or in the forms? Do the forms and self defense techniques teach the same principles in different ways or do they offer entirely different concepts? Where are the basics the most strongly represented? Also which is more important or are they equally important? Or does it depend on the person entirely?
    I believe most of them are in both the techniques and forms up until long form two. But all of the set are included. I believe the basics are most stringly represented in the techniques until blue belt. I do believe techniques are more improtant because you are not going to bust out long oneon somebody on the street. That is just my opinion but I guess it depends on the person. Some people think forms are more important.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks
    Thanked 1,517 Times in 909 Posts

There is no substitue for actual combat so we use different tools to build skills that will increase our chances of surviving an encounter. Forms, techniques, drills, sparring...they all have their purpose and use.

Actually performing Parker Long 2 will not in itself save your life and no technique will go by the book on the street either, but the principles taught and learned through the use of these tools and methods is what will save your hide in the end.

"Knowledge is not enough, you must apply"-Bruce Lee. These 'tools' help you to learn how to "apply."
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links