Thread: Rebounding ... do you do it?

Thanks

Default Rebounding ... do you do it?

Rebounding: Moving from one block/strike to another. For example, Delayed Sword into Sword of Destruction into Shielding Hammer.

Does this play an important part in your current kenpo training? Do you practice it at all?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-14-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Default Re: Rebounding ... do you do it?

Sounds like grafting as the situation dictates. What-if and Formulation. It's kinda necessary.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoJuJitsu3 For This Useful Post:

0nslaught (03-06-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Rebounding, as I understand it, is basically bouncing off of one part to feed into the next move. Snap-(boing)-snap.

Yes; I practice that. One of the cooler keys to kenpo kompetency I enjoy tinkering with.

Be good,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Yes. Rebounding is something we practice as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Rebound into a graft.
    Sean

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

Martin Seck (03-06-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Billy,

Does Larry Kongaika still teach some of the rebounding drills and time patterns that he learned from Mr. Mills?

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike G.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Alleydog For This Useful Post:

Billy Lear (03-07-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,253 Times in 612 Posts

Absolutely we do it.

Respects,
    Bill Parsons
    Triangle Kenpo Institute
    www.trianglekenpo.com

"I know Kenpo!" "Cool... do you know how to use it?"

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alleydog View Post
    Billy,

Does Larry Kongaika still teach some of the rebounding drills and time patterns that he learned from Mr. Mills?

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike G.
    Good question!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alleydog View Post
    Billy,

Yours in Kenpo,

Mike G.
    Yes. We went over some of that material tonight. Badda-Bing, Badda-Boom! It's good stuff!

Ironically, I recently discovered some old pictures from my first Paul Mills Las Vegas Kenpo Camp. I recieved my Yellow Belt there. I'm gunna put them up on my site as soon as I get the chance. Boy... does time fly.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

yes we do rebounding, as in bouncing of body parts to a nother strike. like in bow of compulsion after the right elbow to the solar plexes, droping your hand straight down, rebound off your right leg with you right hand into the ridge hand to the groin.
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Yea there is many places where we rebound, off the ground like in thrusting salute between the scoop kick and the palm to hit the opponent in the groin before the kicking leg lands. Off yourself like in parting wings between the heel palm to floating rib and the chop to the throat. This can also ask as an anotomical reminder of your hand placement for your next move. Off of the opponent as in mace of aggression between the forearm strike and the inward elbow. Some of these princples are not shown at there perticular level for safty and timing reasons, last thing you want is to figure out how barrowed force works with a scoop kick to the groin. This could also bring you down to a subject that is a few post down about slap checks!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to akskarate1 For This Useful Post:

gixxershane (03-07-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

We do this occasionally as well.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akskarate1 View Post
    Yea there is many places where we rebound, off the ground like in thrusting salute between the scoop kick and the palm to hit the opponent in the groin before the kicking leg lands. Off yourself like in parting wings between the heel palm to floating rib and the chop to the throat. This can also ask as an anotomical reminder of your hand placement for your next move. Off of the opponent as in mace of aggression between the forearm strike and the inward elbow. Some of these princples are not shown at there perticular level for safty and timing reasons, last thing you want is to figure out how barrowed force works with a scoop kick to the groin. This could also bring you down to a subject that is a few post down about slap checks!!

thanks.. i do the rebound in five swords but never thought about parting wings. (duhhh, how could i miss that.*shakes head*)
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gixxershane View Post
    thanks.. i do the rebound in five swords but never thought about parting wings. (duhhh, how could i miss that.*shakes head*)
    Funny, I do it without really thinking about it. Now I plan to go back through everything and start looking a little more critically to see where rebounding and slap-checks are appropriate and if I am using them or not. Lots of work to do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Hi Martin,

I have loved this thread on ‘rebounding’.

Thank you for that.

Rebounding is known by all who teach Kenpo Karate, but it is one of those Kenpo Master Keys that is difficult to put words to.

In fact, I’ve always taught it with student interaction, showing/demonstrating and correcting their behavior until they can “feel” the power from using such a powerful concept.

I did note that “rebounding” was only talked about in the context of hitting, which is a presupposition of “using the hands to strike with”.

Rebounding is MUCH more than that and actually starts from the following Master Keys put together properly.

A centered stance is necessary for body rebounding.

A centered stance is necessary for “Speed Kicking” rebounding.

A centered stance, focused from the tan tien and kidney pt. 1 (the balls of the feet) is necessary for baton strike rebounding.

A centered stance focused from the tan tien and kidney pt. 1 is necessary for any “flow-hit” rebounding.

The CENTERED STANCE I’m referring to is the non-assuming centered aggressive stance. It is called “aggressive” because we can easily and quickly attack covertly from that non-assuming position. Here are some basic Master Keys of that one basic centered position.

1. Front heel to rear toe alignment.
    2. Both knees are flexed (like a crouching Tiger, but NOT as deep).
    3. The groin is pointed/tilted downwards and slightly back towards the rear foot.
    4. All the weight is on the front foot (right foot in the case of the Waza I’ll be referring
    to), the ball of the front foot (or Kidney pt. 1, which is about ½ an inch behind the ball of the foot).
    5. There is maximum Pressure” on the ball of the rear foot (the left foot in the Waza I’ll be referring to in detail).
    6. The eye focus is peripheral.
    7. The eye focus is through the roots of the eyes to automatically turn on your own tiger
    8. The mental focus is looking for his “get set point”.
    9. The timing focus is looking for his point of “no-return” (at least on the Waza I’ll be going over).
    10. The breath is for high visual awareness, upper chest breathing.
    11. The tongue is against the teeth, in preparation for “bamboo breathing”, that is a breathing complemented by the stance, by the earth, by the body, by the movements (of him and of your), etc.
    12. There is more but that is enough for now on that non-assuming aggressive centered stance.

Onward to the actual Waza.

The Waza I’ll tie in the Master keys of ‘rebounding’ to is “Storm Check”, a beginner’s basic Kenpo Karate Waza.

The ATTACK is from 12 o’clock. The Uke is stepping in with his left foot as he swings a downward right handed club (baton, beer bottle, hatchet, etc) attack to the top of your head.

Here’s the rule.

Normally 85+ percent of people STEP with that left foot and they pull back the club.

When they pull back the club, you can inter into their hurricane and intercept that club at their “point of furthest extension”.

(The exception to the rule is someone that has been taught “same leg, same are stepping. It is NOT a natural step, but a step that does cause the energies of the meridians to run backwards. It does NOT happen often. It is easy to adapt the following Waza Storm Check by doing a reverse snap kick to the testicles and a right front snap contouring wheel kick to the solar plexus with virtually the same rebounding Master Keys!)

In this case of SC we do NOT teach that timing Master Key. The reason we do NOT teach it there at that low rank is because that timing is very difficult for a beginner to do. Trying to teach it there would be a waste of their time.

BUT, teaching them to recognize the timing arch of the blow, and the differences between the “point of no-return” and the “point of furthest extension” is valid.

Because they’ve been taught the “differences” they know what to do, and what NOT to do and the reasoning behind each alternative method.

That KNOWING the DIFFERENCE is a MUST for understanding of any Waza.

So to do SC the way we teach it, we have them start out in the specific stance of preparation talked about above.

As Uke’s club come almost to his PONR, you raise your right palm chakra towards his 3rd eye (or towards the eyes, if you do not believe in chakras). Eyes are automatically attracted to movement. So Uke’s eyes will immediately and reflexively focus on that right hand counter clockwise movement…

Which means that he will NOT notice the next movement immediately following that “confusion” tactic of installing INVISIBILITY into what comes next.

…and you step to 1:30 with your right foot, putting all the weight on it…

…as you circle the left hand counter clockwise outwards and strike his inner right wrist (radial bone) with your ulna bone. It is a bone to bone HIT, and NOT a block.

After the striking bone block, trap his right wrist (an club) with your left crane wrist, so he can’t get away.

NOW with your left dorsum execute a front snap kick upwards through his testicles, rebounding that foot off of his pubic bone, snapping your foot downwards to the proper single point for a right foot front snap kick.

The snapping of the left foot downwards to the ground as you re-center automatically PULLS your right hip forward and literally throws that right kick upwards into the Uke.

The target of the right ball-of-the foot front snap kick is an upwards 45 degree angle into the solar plexus, ganglia of nerves that functions as the body’s brain.

NOTE that your left hooking wrist is holding him in place so that your left testicle kick is right on target, up between the valley of the thighs (the A frame target), ending up on the public bone through his testicles.

NOTE that you are using your left wrist hook to pull him into that second kick. It’s a very slight pull downward as you kick upwards. It’s a Master Key termed collisional energies.

Snap that kicking right foot downwards just behind your left single pointed foot into a rear cross over stance, and as you rebound upwards a slight knee flex…

…pivot clockwise as you twist his wrist counter-clockwise and in front of you.

Reach down the club with your right hand grabbing the end of the club. Pull the club out of his hand (that should be real easy) as you pull outwards with your left hand. Again using the Law of Opposing Forces to give you maximum strength and to install in his physiology total weakness.

Spin the club clockwise as you lift up the left foot, and quickly re-center to the ground downwards as you execute a right inward snapping baton strike to his left temple the flat bone portion.

…and you finish up rebounding to a centered right handed baton reverse stance, at a point beyond his critical distance and reactionary distance but still inside of your immediate reactionary distance because you are centered for quick movement using the fastest of the 9 primary closing gaps preparatory stances.

NOTE the rebounding Master Keys used in…
    1. Target penetration for maximum target effectiveness
    2. The timing Master Keys for moving unseen
    3. For distorting his visual awareness
    4. For going into his inner hurricane without him being able to “see” you going there
    5. For getting maximum pain on the invisible block/strike
    6. For getting maximum speed on your invisible interception
    7. For getting maximum speed on kick #1, and kick #2
    8. For using the change-up pivot with rebounding so the disarm is devastatingly effective
    9. The bamboo methods used throughout the entire process so that the body’s weight and the body’s movements are accumulated behind every tactic
    10. The Centering Master Keys for adding speed, power and distancing to all the strikes and kicks, and baton counter-attack

Enough for now.

I wish I could add photographs to this small report so you could see what I’m referring to, or a short video clip.

Sincerely,
    ©Dr. John M. La Tourrette
    In Martial Arts 57 years, in Kenpo Karate 37 years.
    It’s a very fun and exciting trip. And I have many more years to come;-)
    As Dave has said, "he's an old guy"!

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

DavidCC (03-15-2007),Martin Seck (03-14-2007),Minder (03-15-2007),sifuroy (03-15-2007)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Rebounding ... do you do it?

OK,

For anyone paying attention, there was about 35 years of training in that last post. Someone could even take it and use it as an outline for a black belt thesis, a really good black belt thesis. With permission of course, because it's copyrighted.

Looks like I'll be doing some goldmining here, searching for other gems Dr. La Tourrette may have left posted here.

Don't anyone else get the same idea!

Minder

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Minder For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

Thank you.
    If one of my own clients could "do" on the "5th Level of Competencey" the above they would definitively have the skills for yudancha rank, lower (1st) to mid level.

And "if" they could write out the details in the proper sequences, with the proper definitions and explanations about the "how-to's" with the explanations of the deep layer Master Keys, it might be worth much more than a simple 1st dan.

Maybe even the level of a 3rd dan, depending upon certain other factors.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links