Thread: WOW! It's been a while!

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default WOW! It's been a while!

Well, last night was my first time "on the mat" in about 4-years... and I'd almost forgotten how GREAT it feels!

Not only did I get to start out on a new journey as a white-belt (been a while for that also!)... but, I got to make a TON of new friends!

Among these was our very own Roadrunner (Tracy Cordell) who was kind enough to partner up with the FNG for some "sweat equity" in the ways of Kenpo...

The class began with pairing up into groups of three, and working various kicking drills and combinations...

That was followed up by working techniques... during which I learned my first AKKI tech... Flashing Swords...

It was fun to watch Ms. Kathy pound on Tracy's arm while she demo'd the initial block in the technique... and also to watch her twist Tracy up like a pretzel with joint locks and/or manipulations during one of the advanced techniques.

I really enjoyed being "out there" on the floor... and even stayed around for several hours after class to watch the sparring class (I wasn't going to push it by participating) and the advanced class...

Afterwards, I was invited to join a group at the local Applebee's for some food, fun, and friendship!

All in all... it was a GREAT time!

Honestly, between watching classes for a few hours last Monday, and participating in class last night, I was so impressed... that I signed up for a three-month stint at the school!

By the way, here's a link to the school's website... Newark Kenpo Karate

Thanks again to Ms. Kathy, Ms. Tina, Sue, Cam, Carl, Tracy, and EVERYONE at NKK for making the new guy feel at home!

{salute}

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    Andrew M. Goodwin - Student of the arts
    Middletown, DE

Blue Belt in Kenpo (5/12)
    9th Kyu in Budo Taijutsu (5/12)
    2nd Brown in TSD (8/98)

Thanks

Default Re: WOW! It's been a while!

Awesome feeling isn't it?

Keep sharing the journey my friend, nice to hear about it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSTCND View Post
    Well, last night was my first time "on the mat" in about 4-years... and I'd almost forgotten how GREAT it feels!

Not only did I get to start out on a new journey as a white-belt (been a while for that also!)... but, I got to make a TON of new friends!

Among these was our very own Roadrunner (Tracy Cordell) who was kind enough to partner up with the FNG for some "sweat equity" in the ways of Kenpo...

The class began with pairing up into groups of three, and working various kicking drills and combinations...

That was followed up by working techniques... during which I learned my first AKKI tech... Flashing Swords...

It was fun to watch Ms. Kathy pound on Tracy's arm while she demo'd the initial block in the technique... and also to watch her twist Tracy up like a pretzel with joint locks and/or manipulations during one of the advanced techniques.

I really enjoyed being "out there" on the floor... and even stayed around for several hours after class to watch the sparring class (I wasn't going to push it by participating) and the advanced class...

Afterwards, I was invited to join a group at the local Applebee's for some food, fun, and friendship!

All in all... it was a GREAT time!

Honestly, between watching classes for a few hours last Monday, and participating in class last night, I was so impressed... that I signed up for a three-month stint at the school!

By the way, here's a link to the school's website... Newark Kenpo Karate

Thanks again to Ms. Kathy, Ms. Tina, Sue, Cam, Carl, Tracy, and EVERYONE at NKK for making the new guy feel at home!

{salute}

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew
    No thanks needed Andrew. Glad you could make it down, I told you it was worth the drive. Yeah, Ms. Kathy likes to demonstrate on me often. I think of it as a learning experience. Similar to when Mr. Mills needs someone to demo on. To feel is to believe for sure. You'll be ripping techniques before you know it. Sorry for making it out to Applebees, but I have to get up too early. I've been out with enough to know how late I would get home. lol Let me know how your schedule goes and I'll see if we can catch up.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Andrew,

I only met Ms. Owen once (I think it was a year or two ago) at Mike Guercio's school in MD after class was over. She spent a little over an hour working on body mechanics with me (and ONLY me AFTER the school was already closed) and sharing some Kenpo history with me. What struck me even more than her knowledge (which was beyond immense) was how cordial she was. Despite having just met me and there being some "past issues" between her and one of my past instructors she treated me as if she knew me my whole life. She was fair and very open. Andrew you are now training with one of the best. Cherish it.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

Thanks
    Thanked 3,587 Times in 2,193 Posts

Feel's good, doesn't it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

That's really cool.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I'm really glad to hear that you had such a great night! The first night back after a hiatus can be extremely stressful...I know, believe me. I took 7 years off from my training when I went to college and got swept up in the dot-com boom...then went back in 2003. To say I was nervous would be an understatement.

So congratulations on your successful return, and the best of luck to you in your training!
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Congrats! Looks like you made a great decision on where to continue your journey.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links