Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Motion Kenpo"

Thanks

Default "Motion Kenpo"

Ok, so I keep seeing "Motion Kenpo" everywhere in the forums. I have looked everywhere; in the Infinite Insights and in the termonoligies on this forum. If I am doing Motion Kenpo I would like to know exactly what it is? How does it differ from regular American Kenpo? What are its strengths and weaknesses? What sets the other Kenpo's away from it?
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: "Motion Kenpo"

motion kenpo is epak. SBL 4 refers to EPAK kenpo as motion kenpo.

Dont get me wrong guys, I get kinda upset as being refered to as motion kenpo. (am I the only one) Call it EPAK we call you guys Sublevel 4 kenpo.
    It seems like if you call EPAK motion kenpo is like a stab at discredibility.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it kinda stings abit.
    We all practise kenpo here, there is just different flavours.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NickName99 For This Useful Post:

0nslaught (03-01-2007),amylong (03-01-2007),Billy Lear (03-01-2007),Celtic_Crippler (03-01-2007),gixxershane (03-02-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-20-2007),Martin Seck (03-01-2007),parkerkarate (03-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

use search function...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
    use search function...
    I just did, and I've failed to find a thread or post that contained a definition for this term. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me? If you do can you please post a link here so it is easier to find? Thanks in advance.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Lear View Post
    I just did, and I've failed to find a thread or post that contained a definition for this term. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me? If you do can you please post a link here so it is easier to find? Thanks in advance.

this topic has probably been discussed in the past on martialtalk more than it has here. Here's a link I just found:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...otion+kenpo%22

this next thread contrasts SL-4 and 'EPAK':

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/sho...otion+kenpo%22

edit: just found this on KT:
    forms and motion

SL-4 and EPAK are the same art - but with a different syllabus and methodology towards training. 'Motion Kenpo' is not a derogatory term - but is better phrased as 'motion-based kenpo'. It is the expression of kenpo that emphasises continuous fluid motion, grafting, tailoring etc.
    Last edited by JamesB; 03-01-2007 at 05:52 AM.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

The first time I've seen it coined "motion kenpo" was in a interview with Doc in Blackbelt magazine. When asked the difference on what he teaches compared to what Ed Parker teaches.
    Whether he knew it or not, its a marketing term. Just a subtle little term to separate SL-4 from EPAK. I have alot of respect for Doc, and I hate talking about him like this. I dont think discredibility was his intention. Just he some distinguishability. And there is nothing wrong with that.

James

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

The Motion Kenpo ain't an insult, guys. In it's main use, it refers to the model of kenpo as described in Big Red.; the cumulative journal. It is called motion kenpo because of the emphasis on principles of...are you ready for this?...motion.

In II series, Parker makes the reference to being a student of motion, mechanic of motion, and ultimately an engineer of motion (although I like Mr. Conatsers "architect of motion" better than engineer), as levels of development and maturation within the system. Principles of the motion system are what drive it, and the reason I love Rich Hales Kenpo Journal, is that he gives a comprehensive listing of the concepts and principles of motion each technique illustrates/contains.

My big beef in arguments on these boards has been when people try to apply EPAK SD techs directly to combat application. While there are master key movements/combos that ARE contained to give us some pre-programmed tools for barrages, the ideal purpose of the system is to aid students in reaching the capacity to use their skillls on the fly, applying their experience and knowledge to create an on-the-spot SD tech that is fitted to the [Attacker x Attack x Environment x Defender x etc] situation, perfectly. That's only done by comprehending and embracing the concepts and principles, instead of marrying the SD techs used to illustrate them.

There are good men who are proud to be called "motion kenpoists", and they include Mr. Conatser, Mr. Hale, and myself...a student of SL4.

The primary distinctions between SL4 are in the "how". Big Red tells us "what" to do...step back into a left neutral bow with a left inward block. That leaves it open to interpretation, which is necessary for business model expansion. And those who knew Mr. P. knew he was definitely into expanding his business model; there are men proud to be motion kenpoists who can attest to this, without it being an issue of shame...simply, just what is. The "how" was not in big red...what path ought the foot travel in getting there (some are better than others)? Where does the block start, travel through what path, and end, to be optimal in strength and stability against the angle of incidence (there are multiple possibilities, and some are better than others)?

Now, pretty much any inward block will do in a pinch as long as it stops the guy from breaking your beak, so it doesn't necessarily have to be dissected ad nauseum to be useable...and THAT'S the cleverness and universality of the system. If you get someone with a rudimentary knowledge, they can figger the rest, and get good at whippin it out there. SL-4 posits that there are optimal ways of doing things...ways to use your body and things to do with your joints ON THE WAY to settling into your neutral bow, and things to do ON THE WAY to delivering your inward block that make a dramatic difference in the strength and applicability of the final product. So...both read "kenpo" in the yellow pages, but one pays more attention to structural detail and nit-picks at specifics that many will consider unecessary, but that is the one the kenpo-version of techno-geeks get their rocks off of dissecting. How would you indicate the difference?

I can speak for myself, and my own experiences: SL4 takes an approach to training that is different than anything I've seen before. The weapon/target stuff is more specific, the basics are pounded into your head before you're even allowed to try to get quick or tricksie with a SD tech; slop is not allowed; and the path used to get to a thing is more important than the thing, since it's the path that gets all parts of the body on the same page...kind of a pan-ultimate in directional harmony, like I've never seen it before (and being a kenpo whore since '71, I've been around and seen quite a bit). I've seen some neat stuff in SL4 that really is not in the motion kenpo cirriculum. But I'm also still only an SL4 white belt.

However, I'm an "advanced" rank black in kenpo karate...I have BB's from two different lineages; one from the grab-and-beat early days, one form the "Chinese kenpo" days, and have trained to get caught up in the newer versions of Motion kenpo that were circulating prior to Mr. Parkers passing. I also spent some minimal time on the mat with Mr. Parker for a modelling project as a neurolinguistic programmer: The kenpo he did was not the same as the kenpo even his black belt students were doing. He moved differently (we've discussed this in the "signatures" thread). In some of the cases, he KNEW he did stuff different...in other cases, I'd say, "what's that little thing you just did with your hand, and why?",and he didn't know he was doing it until I pointed it out. I had a job on that project: Identify all the small things in execution that influence performance, name them, and add them to the cirriculum so Mr. P. could teach them or present them in upcoming projects. Problem was, despite my cocky confidence in my NLP, it was a much larger project than the half-dozen sessions I envisioned it to be.

Some of y'all got kinda mad when Doc kept referencing the Sasha Williams video, but it really did perfectly illustrate why the "what" is disseminated, while the "how" has remained largely unidentified for dissemination. Parker is trying to show a backnuckle with a slap-check and a body-alignment mechanism, but the student ain't getting it. Personally, I place some of the responsibility for that directly on Mr. Parkers shoulders, which will make some of the worshippers angry. But it is the teachers responsibility to communicate in such a way that the student gets it, and if they don't get it the way you're saying it now, then you...as the teacher...have an obligation to try different ways UNTIL they get it. Mr. P. just gave up, and moved on.

In SL4, if the lesson is that backfist, Doc will stop the entire teaching program and stay on it until everyone gets it. How happy would you be if you had to slow down in class everytime someone as slow as I am didn't get something? You'd likely get impatient, and move to the kenpo school down the street that covers 2 self-defense techniques a night, reviews a form and a set, then spars for 30 minutes at the end of class.

My task in the advanced concepts project was to identify little things that made a big difference. I did. I can spot subtle minutae in a kenpoka's movement that detract from their unity, or multiply it. Doc has also noted these things, and gone back through the techniques and forms to add them in...a daunting task, I assure you. But a worthwhile one. And, again, you aren't allowed to move on until you get it. Many will see this as him being a stubborn a-hole. I see it as living up to his obligations as a teacher, and making sure the student gets it before letting him out of the building.

So, that leads to an important question...is Doc the only kenpoist doing these things? Nope. I've been on the mat with some other oldsters who picked it up either by observation or instruction, and got it. I was lucky enough to work out a bit recently with Mr.Hale, who does the backfist with a slap check and the Parker stomp, while they're embedded in techniques. He even picked up the "whoooomph" kiai indicative of Parker boyz. As a matter of fact, he uses it so often in discussion about non-kenpo things (remember universality of application?) that his lovely wife even uses it to describe digging deep to take a hill running. She had modeled it from Rich...same as Rich modeled it from the old man, and modeled other minutae that inform his kenpo in execution. Same as, I'm sure, others modeled many of these components. But are they documented in Infinite Insights, Big Red, or even in Mr. Hale's excellent Journal? Nope. That's the devil in passin on a system intact while also making a sustainable income. The devil Mr. P. faced for years, and sought to address in his subsequent projects....ones which never met completion.

Does he teach it to his students, or will they have to model it indirectly as I suspect he did? As his wife did? I dunno. Ask him. but I do know that the slap check and stomp, done correctly, can multiply the power of your backfist by more than twice the original amount, and I will always leave an open invitation to the entire kenpo comunity, even most cynical critics, to join me at the heavy bag where I can prove it in 5 minutes of instruction, practice, then reversion back to their old way (not using these structural alignment mechanisms) for comparison.

The "how" is not absent from all motion kenpo lineages, but I'd betcha it ain't nearly as emphasized as it is in SL4. This picky and annoying attention to detail creates a substantial difference in the end result...it ends up like kenpo on steroids; still kenpo, just more stable. That's not an insult to motion kenpo practitioners, or an inflation of SL4 over others; Doc's hard on is structural integrity leading to improved stability and strength. One ought to expect his guys to have more of that in their final product. If I want to work on my sparring game, I'm going to Bob Whites...his focus is on competitive athleticism in kenpo, and nobody's better at it than he. Would you be surprised when one of his kenpoists spanks you with a combo before you see it leave the chamber? No. It's his thing. Would you be butt-hurt if one of his guys got online, and started to discuss the obvious...that his crew dominates free-sparring events? That their training methods prepare one better for these interactions than the kenpo school down the street, and they have the champion-rich history to prove it? What if Mills' guys got online and started talking up the AKKI emphasis on speed development through body mechanics? You gonna take it personally? Heck, he was a speed shooter...it was HIS hard on...you should expect his guys to be faster than the kenpo school down the street.

In the final stages, SL4 also places a greater emphasis on control manipulation then you will likely ever see in a kenpo school that hasn't been heavily infused with Japanese jujutsu, chin na, or the like. Doc is a cop, and most of his students are cops. Stands to reason they need to cuff a guy more than they need to rake his eyes. Ultimately, manipulation requires an emphasis on breaking down the other guys stability while maximizing your own. The focus in SL4 is big on this...much bigger than in the vast majority of kenpo schools and lineages; the time Mr. Whites guys spend working on sparring and Mr. Mills' guys spend developing speed, Chapels guys spend working on structural stability for a one-up in contact manipulation...because if you've got hold of him, he's also indirectly got hold of you. This makes for a different look and feel from schools that focus more on motion principles and striking in an engagement. Yet, it's still Ed Parker's kenpo, just with a different flavor.

So, how would you distinguish the difference in conversation between the technogeek version of EPAK Chapel does, and the Infinite Insights/Big Red based EPAK others do? There's clearly a difference, and verbal economy would dictate finding some way of making a distinction. In one of the Parker books, there is a breakdown mentioned. There are sublevels in that breakdown. The 4th sub-level was an emphasis on nerve strikes, etc. Stuff Doc has a chubby for that's unmatched by the emphases of the other seniors.

I know...let's call the mainstream kenpo "motion" kenpo (since it's based on the principles of motion...not derogatory, just explanatory), and call the technogeek structural obsession stuff "SL4" (since it's emphasis is on the stuff from the 4th sublevel).

I do two different workouts when I train. I work on my standard motion material to keep it fresh (it has saved my hide more than once, and I don't own the SL4 material enough to make a complete switch over, leaving myself unarmed in the interim), and I do an SL4 workout...where I take my time, and make sure I get all the little things right. Oddly, if I go back to my motion workout after an SL4 session, I start inserting the SL4 nuances into my SD techs. I'm not sure, but I think that was the point of the "next level" project Mr. P. was working on prior to passing so soon. The Advanced Kenpo Concepts video series he was working on with Doc and others was going to introduce some clearly delineated performance parameters around already known basics...that is, "this is how to do the what you've already been working on, to make it better and take it to the next level".

D.

Hate mail and questions can be directed to my attention at:

Dave Crouch, DC
    3935 Sumner Lane
    Santa Rosa, CA 95405
    707-538-1134
    drdavecrouchdc@yahoo.com

and the open invitation to anyone to explore the difference that structural minutae can make on a backnuckle stands. Not twicksie twicks, just better mechanics...the word better indicating a field of possibility, with a backnuckle being a reality anywhere in that field, but being stronger in delivery in some quadrants of the field than others, based on functional anatomy and biomechanics...a field of study Parker referred to as "body mechanics", and was quite fond of.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

Arizona Angel (03-01-2007),bdparsons (03-01-2007),Brother John (03-02-2007),Carol (03-01-2007),execkenpo (03-01-2007),JamesB (03-01-2007),John M. La Tourrette (04-12-2007),Kenpodoc (03-07-2007),KenpoJuJitsu3 (03-01-2007),MARSHALLS KENPO (08-20-2007),NickName99 (03-01-2007),thedan (03-06-2007),unshackled-chi (09-01-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

It means, not sub level 4.
    Sean

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenpoChanger For This Useful Post:

KenpoJuJitsu3 (03-01-2007),NickName99 (03-01-2007)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Dave Crouch, DC
    3935 Sumner Lane
    Santa Rosa, CA 95405
    707-538-1134
    drdavecrouchdc@yahoo.com

and the open invitation to anyone to explore the difference that structural minutae can make on a backnuckle stands. Not twicksie twicks, just better mechanics...the word better indicating a field of possibility, with a backnuckle being a reality anywhere in that field, but being stronger in delivery in some quadrants of the field than others, based on functional anatomy and biomechanics...a field of study Parker referred to as "body mechanics", and was quite fond of.
    Please......no more books passed off as posts. Get a publisher.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,478 Posts

Good post, Dave. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: your posts on this topic are often lengthy, detailed, understandable and patient, and I for one certainly appreciate it.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Well said.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flying crane View Post
    Good post, Dave. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: your posts on this topic are often lengthy, detailed, understandable and patient, and I for one certainly appreciate it.
    Sorry for the length; I know I get the verbal Hershey squirts. Unfortunately, I've discovered if I'm not thorough the first time in providing context and meaning, I have to come back again and again to patch up what I thought I meant I said.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

What he said

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,147 Times in 468 Posts

I always thought his posts were lengthy, long, extended and protracted. Oh yeah and all that other stuff too.
    James Hawkins III, SI
    Hawkins Martial Arts
    Baltimore, MD 410-948-1440
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FunctionalKenpo
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kenpojujitsu3

Thanks

*** with friends like James, who needs enemas ***

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

ok... Coffee, nose... bad.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,478 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dave in da house View Post
    Sorry for the length; I know I get the verbal Hershey squirts. Unfortunately, I've discovered if I'm not thorough the first time in providing context and meaning, I have to come back again and again to patch up what I thought I meant I said.

D.
    That's what makes them clear and understandable. No jargon, and taking the time to lay it out in proper context.
    Michael

de gustibus non disputante est.
    Negative Douche Bag Number One

Thanks

Dr. Dave.. that post (#7) is probably the best summary of what SL4 is compared to EPAK iv seen on here.. i understood the main SL4 concepts were structural integrity, more chi aspects of Kenpo.. but partcularly the integrity in a contact manipulation situation is something i wasn't aware of..

so in comparison.. Motion Kenpo is more of "ok here's how you step back into an inward block, make sure you anchor your elbow and settle when you land".. and in the manual or book it would just say "step back right neutral bow, right hammering inward block"

SL4 is more "ok left foot slides back, rotate here, twist there, anchor the elbow and butt, this is how high to have your arm, now block at a 45 degree angle outward, directly in line with your front leg's direction while you rotate on the balls of your feet, rotate your forearm slightly on impact for torque, you should be able to your hand from this angle when you're done, etc" thats prolly different but i was just trying to get as technical as i could off the top of my head..

my Teacher said there's "X" (i think it was like 20 or 30 something) number of principles in power from a inward block, from a stationary position.. add another "X" for your attacker, and another "X" for the innocent bystander. is prolly the best i can sum up what you guys are all about?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to madeku For This Useful Post:

Dr. Dave in da house (03-01-2007)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by madeku View Post
    Dr. Dave.. that post (#7) is probably the best summary of what SL4 is compared to EPAK iv seen on here.. i understood the main SL4 concepts were structural integrity, more chi aspects of Kenpo.. but partcularly the integrity in a contact manipulation situation is something i wasn't aware of..

so in comparison.. Motion Kenpo is more of "ok here's how you step back into an inward block, make sure you anchor your elbow and settle when you land".. and in the manual or book it would just say "step back right neutral bow, right hammering inward block"

SL4 is more "ok left foot slides back, rotate here, twist there, anchor the elbow and butt, this is how high to have your arm, now block at a 45 degree angle outward, directly in line with your front leg's direction while you rotate on the balls of your feet, rotate your forearm slightly on impact for torque, you should be able to your hand from this angle when you're done, etc" thats prolly different but i was just trying to get as technical as i could off the top of my head..

my Teacher said there's "X" (i think it was like 20 or 30 something) number of principles in power from a inward block, from a stationary position.. add another "X" for your attacker, and another "X" for the innocent bystander. is prolly the best i can sum up what you guys are all about?
    Tah-dah!

We also use the term, "commercial system", which people take offense to. I don't get why. Most consumers don't want to spend hours going over all the intricate variables of the "X" principle interactions of an inward block in class...it would be horribly boring for most students, and therefore a lousy way for the prof to make a living. Most would slide to the school down the street, where several doses of kenpo strange are given each night to keep tempo upbeat and moving. In SL4, instead of moving faster to cover more territory, we move slower to cover more specifics. The place is nearly empty most nights, beacuse it doen't have public appeal; it ain't meant to. Pretty much, the analytical minds that get off on the substance in detail show up.

I've got 32 hours of class taped for my visual notes, history, and analysis. Most of it is unimpressive to watch, because it's the crew going over, and over, and over the same stuff, getting it right. You watch 2 hours of redundant drills before getting to 10 seconds of twicksie demo on how to apply it or tweak it for improvement, then back to implementing the 10 seconds of clean up..for two more hours. You cannot make a living doing this, and it is definitely different in content and feel than commercial school kenpo. Not an insult, just a by-product of differing focus leading to different end-points. It's how we get our geek on.

D.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Dave in da house For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-12-2007),Kenpodoc (03-07-2007),madeku (03-01-2007)

Thanks

This is an excellent thread folks. Many great points. I am so greatful for KT because this sort of thing "motion kenpo" is being addressed in a mature manner without resorting to malicus name calling and back stabbing. I continue to be impressed with the members here on KT. You all have such a wealth of knowledge to share. I am greateful.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links