Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kicking within Kenpo

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Kicking within Kenpo

Is the kicking within Kenpo based more on Japanese, Chinese, or maybe even Korean art forms? Better yet, would you say it's just "Amercaniized as a whole?

Thank You!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Kicking within Kenpo

Different style of Kempo may utlize there kicks differently. Okinawan Kempo kicks are kept at a minimumal and are done at very low level targets. I have seen other styles of Kenpo that kick too much IMO and look more like TKD.

Thanks

All kick should come from the same chamber until you execute the kick.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Seck For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (03-15-2007)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Most Kenpo/Kempo I've been exposed to keep the kicks below the waist (unless it's in competition.) The basic mechanics of a kick in order to be effective, I would think are the same (2+2 in any language is still 4 )
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

An excellent resource would be "The Progressive Kicks of Kenpo"
    by Mr Kevin and Eric Lamkin.

The best I've seen for kicking throughout kenpo. A great training aid for kids classes and adults as well.

www.arnis.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

Our system includes all of the TKD kicks, with the exception of the axe kick (like to keep those hammies intact). Whether it's above, or below the waist, depends on the application and the kick.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

I've learned kicking in kenpo as an "exaggerated step". In this, the integrity of the spine is not compromised, nor is any forward momentum generated by transitions and manuevers from one stance to another. I don't know if this is "Americanized" or not, but having spent many years in a traditional system (and also familiar with how many Japanese and Okinawan systems kick), it was certainly new to me.

Curious as to where Ed Parker got this from, or if it was his. Chinese perhaps?

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bujuts For This Useful Post:

KenpoChanger (03-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I think that very often, the kicks that you find in kenpo are "borrowed." I have not run across many in kenpo that have actually taken the time to study the kicks on their own merits.
    Dave

"I consider that the spiritual life is the life of man's real self, the life of that interior self whose flame is so often allowed to be smothered under the ashes of anxiety and futile concern." - Thomas Merton

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Although a lot of my kicks are pretty high. I only do high kicks for demo purposes. I usually keep them pretty low if I am executing a kick. The knee leads the kick so... I kick from waist level to chest level.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

As JD said, we do a bunch of kicking...some to the lower targets but also a lot to head level. The goal is always to be able to execute a kick to the head...whether or not the flexibility and strength is there is another matter.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo View Post
    Is the kicking within Kenpo based more on Japanese, Chinese, or maybe even Korean art forms? Better yet, would you say it's just "Amercaniized as a whole?

Thank You!
    TKD blackbelts that teach kenpo, now, are probably teaching korean kicking but The school where I train maintains the original Chinese philosophy on the whole matter.
    Sean

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    All kick should come from the same chamber until you execute the kick.
    All?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Most of the kicks in an offensive attack should start from the same chamber high, defensively you may have to drop the knee to to get the correct angle and shorten the line of travel of the kick. I even use a chamber that looks similar to a scoop kick and then throw what kick I need to fit the target. There is many examples of different lines of travel you can kick in our tech. just work them at different heights and angles. One saying Mr. Planas uses is "Always means 95% of the time".

Thanks
    Thanked 3,584 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by akskarate1 View Post
    Most of the kicks in an offensive attack should start from the same chamber high, defensively you may have to drop the knee to to get the correct angle and shorten the line of travel of the kick. I even use a chamber that looks similar to a scoop kick and then throw what kick I need to fit the target. There is many examples of different lines of travel you can kick in our tech. just work them at different heights and angles. One saying Mr. Planas uses is "Always means 95% of the time".
    Hmm, different philosophies. We teach that the knee should be pointed at the target, regardless of height. Kick to the knee points to the knee, kick to the head points at the head. In some cases that's an oversimplicfication but it applies that "95% of the time".

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdinca View Post
    Hmm, different philosophies. We teach that the knee should be pointed at the target, regardless of height. Kick to the knee points to the knee, kick to the head points at the head. In some cases that's an oversimplicfication but it applies that "95% of the time".

Agreed.
    All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small. - Lao Tzu

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,866 Times in 5,547 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bujuts View Post
    I've learned kicking in kenpo as an "exaggerated step". In this, the integrity of the spine is not compromised, nor is any forward momentum generated by transitions and manuevers from one stance to another. I don't know if this is "Americanized" or not, but having spent many years in a traditional system (and also familiar with how many Japanese and Okinawan systems kick), it was certainly new to me.

Curious as to where Ed Parker got this from, or if it was his. Chinese perhaps?

Cheers,

Steven Brown
    UKF
    Chinese.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens." - Ed Parker Sr.

"It's much easier to quote, than to know." - Ron Chapél

www.MSUACF.com

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

My school teaches to point the knee to the target you want to kick, which I do sometimes, especially with self defense techniques. But when sparring, I learned from my previous training to chamber high because I can then launch a kick to any height. If I chamber high for a high kick and then decide on the fly that I want to go low, I can still do that, whereas if I chamber low and then decide to go high, it's not so easy.

Another advantage with chambering high, after a while your opponent gets confused because they won't know if you are kicking high or low, because they all are starting with a high chamber.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Once you understand how to kick there is no rules on were you start your kick, what is important is your positioning of your support leg and your kicking leg at the moment of impact and how you re-chamber your kick to set you up for your next movement.

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Unless you're talking about a front kick, that would be anatomically incorrect.
    "Nothing is more dangerous than the conscientiously ignorant, or the sincerely stupid." - Martin Luther King Jr.

www.MSUACF.com

Doc
    AKI Contributing Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by akskarate1 View Post
    Once you understand how to kick there is no rules on were you start your kick, what is important is your positioning of your support leg and your kicking leg at the moment of impact and how you re-chamber your kick to set you up for your next movement.
    There are anatomical mandates that supersede personal preferences when it comes to efficient and non-injurious kicking. Your statement does not fit this anatomical physical mandate of human anatomy sir.

www.MSUACF.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links