Default Frank Soto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_E-2bwbldY

Any thoughts on this clip?

Regards,
    Carl From Hot Atlanta

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Frank Soto

The Members In Motion Forum is a place where members place their own videos, no one elses. Any other videos go into the Kenpo General area.

This thread was moved to the appropriate area.

Rob Broad
    KenpoTalk Global Moderator

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blfycdq View Post

Regards,
    Carl From Hot Atlanta
    I like the music.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Regards,
    Carl From Hot Atlanta
    All in all I think it looks pretty good. He could settle more in his stances but for the most part I liked it.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Frank Soto

He looks big enough, and fast enough to increase a fella's pain level expedentially.

1stJohn1:9

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

He lacks any power due to the lack of stances and shifting. That's my .02

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    He lacks any power due to the lack of stances and shifting. That's my .02
    I agree with what he is showing here with your statement. However this could have been filmed as a demo to show some techniques only.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenpochrstn View Post
    He looks big enough, and fast enough to increase a fella's pain level expedentially.

1stJohn1:9
    Sure does.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    I agree with what he is showing here with your statement. However this could have been filmed as a demo to show some techniques only.
    Possibly, but why show a technique done incorrectly with no stances? The Leap of Death would never work with out the stance change. Would you post something on the net that was sloppy or not executed correctly? I know I wouldn't, and from reading your posts, I doubt you would either. Either way, good kenpoists are hard to find. As most know (or maybe not), the bad far outnumber the good. I see this as another kenpoist whose stances and body mechanics can't keep up with their hands. I'm not bashing the guy (he does have good hand technique), but we were asked for our thoughts. If he truely moves like that, it's not his fault. It's his instructor's. Sorry in advance if I offend anyone, but this is my opinion. Remember, opinions are like... well you know the rest.

Thanks

I actually think he moves very well overall for his size. He has good continuity and fast hands. I don't think he was trying to hit hard, but could have had he let go.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Possibly, but why show a technique done incorrectly with no stances? The Leap of Death would never work with out the stance change. Would you post something on the net that was sloppy or not executed correctly? I know I wouldn't, and from reading your posts, I doubt you would either. Either way, good kenpoists are hard to find. As most know (or maybe not), the bad far outnumber the good. I see this as another kenpoist whose stances and body mechanics can't keep up with their hands. I'm not bashing the guy (he does have good hand technique), but we were asked for our thoughts. If he truely moves like that, it's not his fault. It's his instructor's. Sorry in advance if I offend anyone, but this is my opinion. Remember, opinions are like... well you know the rest.

Look past the stances, and you will see how he making these moves work. In Leap of Death, he is palm heeling the base of the head instead of the arm. Interesting....

If you want to be faster and more mobile then one has to tailor the given Kenpo stances to achieve the result that they are after. If the end result is pain and damage to the opponent, then is tailoring the stance a show stopper?

What ya think?

Thanks

Look past the stances, and you will see how he making these moves work. In Leap of Death, he is palm heeling the base of the head instead of the arm. Interesting....

If you want to be faster and more mobile then one has to tailor the given Kenpo stances to achieve the result that they are after. If the end result is pain and damage to the opponent, then is tailoring the stance a show stopper?

What ya think?
    I do agree if you put it out there expect to have it critiqued I see your points.

Some argue that at higher levels the body mech. is not as important as you have developed a "short hand" way to use minimal changes in stances to achieve the same effect.

Anyone experience that level of Kenpo personally?
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

What ya think?
    He's making the moves work against a willing attacker. What's so astonishing about heel palming the fella in the head before the throw? I agree that advanced students will not lock out their stances, but power is generated from the hips and he isn't moving them. Watch his clip on Youtube of Parting Wings and you'll see what I mean. He does the technique from a chair for goodness sake. You want to see speed and power, check out the Speed Clip on the AKKI's video page.

Thanks

Would you post something on the net that was sloppy or not executed correctly? I know I wouldn't, and from reading your posts, I doubt you would either.
    Point well taken. I wouldn't let anything go up on youtube of me if I didn't like how it turned out.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

He's making the moves work against a willing attacker. What's so astonishing about heel palming the fella in the head before the throw? I agree that advanced students will not lock out their stances, but power is generated from the hips and he isn't moving them. Watch his clip on Youtube of Parting Wings and you'll see what I mean. He does the technique from a chair for goodness sake. You want to see speed and power, check out the Speed Clip on the AKKI's video page.
    Many smart people do practice tehniques from various unconventional positions like sitting a chair. Not every encounter occurs when you are standing and ready.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    Many smart people do practice tehniques from various unconventional positions like sitting a chair. Not every encounter occurs when you are standing and ready.
    I understand that, but Parting Wings is not a technique to be done from a chair. You have no bracing angle against a push. You would end up on your back.

Thanks

I understand that, but Parting Wings is not a technique to be done from a chair. You have no bracing angle against a push. You would end up on your back.

That is thinking absolutes and assuming that the chair is unstable or nowhere near an obstacle to stop it from falling over. I have seen many a fight a start with one person sitting and another person attacking and you may be surprised at how many times the chair does not tip over because of the environment it is in.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Point well taken. I wouldn't let anything go up on youtube of me if I didn't like how it turned out.
    Thanks. This is a good thread. It's nice getting other peoples perspectives on things.

Thanks

I have a simply way of looking at video clips, 1. they don't ever tell the whole story of the motions we see. 2. Don't criticize unless you have posted your own clips somewhere for people to see.

I almost forgot the most important one. 3. Take the opinions of anomious poster with an extra grain of salt. If they don't have teh testicular fortitude to post a little about themselves in their profile it makes me wonder what they are hiding.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    That is thinking absolutes and assuming that the chair is unstable or nowhere near an obstacle to stop it from falling over. I have seen many a fight a start with one person sitting and another person attacking and you may be surprised at how many times the chair does not tip over because of the environment it is in.
    Even if there was something to prop the chair up, do you actually believe your arm strength alone is strong enough to stop someone pushing you? Because that is what you would be relying on with out the shift. Your arm executing the heel palm vs their body weight? I know what I'd bet on winning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links