Thread: Street Speed

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Street Speed

Do you ever pad up an uke head to toe and work techniques at "street speed?" I'm talking head gear with face shield, forearm and shin pads, gloves, chest gaurd, groin gaurd...the whole 9.

We do, and you can really tell the difference between doing a technique in the air, doing it with control with a partner, and doing it making some serious contact. You can really get a feel for how the force behind strikes affect your reactions and the effeciency of things like your stance. You'll know real quick when someone throws a real haymaker at you and you block it if your stance is good or not. LOL.

I would never suggest trying this with children and only work this with students that really want to do it.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else trained like this and wanted to share some insights.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: Street Speed

Crip, any chance of filming some and posting it? Have you had any injuries during this type of training.

As someone who has been to your studio you guys have a huge space, perfect for what you do.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Do you ever pad up an uke head to toe and work techniques at "street speed?" I'm talking head gear with face shield, forearm and shin pads, gloves, chest gaurd, groin gaurd...the whole 9.

We do, and you can really tell the difference between doing a technique in the air, doing it with control with a partner, and doing it making some serious contact. You can really get a feel for how the force behind strikes affect your reactions and the effeciency of things like your stance. You'll know real quick when someone throws a real haymaker at you and you block it if your stance is good or not. LOL.

I would never suggest trying this with children and only work this with students that really want to do it.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone else trained like this and wanted to share some insights.
    I haven't done this but I think it is a great idea. I have personally strapped on bady armour (looks like a body builder silhouette and is about 1" thick and hard) and had some students hit me with kicks and punches full power so they could get a sense of really hitting someone.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Crip, any chance of filming some and posting it? Have you had any injuries during this type of training.

As someone who has been to your studio you guys have a huge space, perfect for what you do.
    I was thinking of filming some this week actually. I've gotten a broken finger (same one twice! You'd think I'd learn!), I broke a students nose with a hook kick once (prior to using face shield), and we've had an occurance of some broken ribs. Nothing major. I'll see what I can do about posting some vid. The students that participate really love it. ....bunch of masochists!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Hey Celt... Love to see the vids. We do it all the time at my place. Mostly a little bit slower with no padding, but it kind of works that way. Once in a while we pull out the foot, hand and shin pads, and the occasional head piece and go at it full tilt.

Shucks! I've even been known to take a whack or two from students. I've managed to have toes and fingers broken, ribs broken and once, many years ago, I took a spinning heel hook in the throat. Have to say I went down like a bag of Pooh! But stuff happens when you go at it for real.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I was thinking of filming some this week actually. I've gotten a broken finger (same one twice! You'd think I'd learn!), I broke a students nose with a hook kick once (prior to using face shield), and we've had an occurance of some broken ribs. Nothing major. I'll see what I can do about posting some vid. The students that participate really love it. ....bunch of masochists!
    Sounds good brother, looking forward to it!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Street Speed

Hey Celtic I really like your training idea. I have done the technique's in the air, And with control on a partner. I have also hit a heavy bag, not with a technique but just with different special weapons just to get a feel for how I would use it. I've have not done it your way but I'm most interested in seeing your video. Good idea bro
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links