Thread: Dictionary of Knowledge

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Dictionary of Knowledge

Just curious to see what everyone else does to keep their dictionary of knowledge fresh and new? I tend to take techniques, theories, principles of EPAK and apply them to techniques of my arts of the past. In doing so, I seem to re-learn the techniques in a new light. I find openings where I never saw them. Find that places where a check will save my teeth and so on. This also seems to help my EPAK techniques as it reinforces the techniques of EPAK that have been shared with me. It makes me more aware of my body mechanics. I look forward to your responses.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: Dictionary of Knowledge

Every time I explore and re-evaluate something I learn something new. One thing I try to do, other than keeping an open mind, is to constantly try to think outside the box. Everyone is guilty of becoming somewhat complacent with what they learn falling into personal paradigms. I feel that a great method to avoid that trap is to listen to other's perspectives and explore them for yourself. That's why I think KT is such a great resource.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Dictionary of Knowledge

CC, I try to keep an open mind as well. I try not to keep attacks to the normal that we use in class. I try to apply techniques to different attacks. Instead of a step through punch maybe a jab or front leg kick instead of one fired from the back leg. After my Aikido class I teach i try to apply Kenpo along with my Aikido, Aiki Jitsu & Ju Jitsu. We run over my different attacks from those arts and try to apply the pieces that just work from the arts. It's interesting to see where blends from Aikido flow to Kenpo and Kenpo techniques flow to small joint manipulations and so on. I really like the dove tail of Kenpo and Aikido as they are a great deal of similarities.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links