Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kenpo/kemp...what does it mean?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default kenpo/kemp...what does it mean?

I know that KeNpo translated from the Chinese means "Fist Law" or "Law of the Fist."

What does KeMpo mean? I could be wrong, but I believe this type has more of a Japanese influence. Does it translate the same? I'm just curious and couldn't find any former threads on it.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Default Re: kenpo/kemp...what does it mean?

It was right under your nose the whole time. LOL. Its ok I know how it feels.

Japanese Kempo entry on MT Encyclopedia
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

DOH! Thanks!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

i think i read it on Speakman's site of his trip to China.. but he found that the Law of the Fist wasnt just a term for the school of hard knocks.. it meant literally the fist was the protector of the law.. the Scholar and the Warrior.. yin and yang, woot woot.

Thanks

Ken/mpo is, quite simply, a phonetic representation of a japanese word in our language.
    It has nothing to do with china or the chinese language.

The chinese words are, while similar in meaning, completely different.

this whole kenpo(chinese)/kempo(japanese) thing is due to a lack of knowledge of the language, and anyone that tells you different hasn't done their homework.

It just so happened that japan adopted china's system of writing and has since developed 2 different methods, using parts of chinese characters to represent phonetics in japanese.

that wiki article needs some serious editing.

Thanks

I thought it Kempo meant never having to say you're sorry...

But hey I come from a Hawaiian system that uses Japanese terminology (backwards even like Sensei Jamey, instead of Gibson Sensei) and has the word "Chinese" in the name.

I sure love the system though!

Cheers everyone-
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Kenpo originated in China, but over the years has taken on a Japanese, Okinawan, Hawaiian, and American mix. As spelled today, Kenpo with an "N" denotes its original Chinese heritage, while Kempo with an "M" refers to its use in Japanese culture. The word "Kenpo" means fist law or law of the fist, regardless of its spelling "Kenpo" or "Kempo". The word comes from the mandarin Chinese term "Chaun Fa" or what the Cantonese refer to as "Ken Fat". When the art was brought to Okinawa the native tongue of Hogun was used to translate the Chinese characters and the individual kanji into Kenpo. When the Japanese pronounce this term, using the later Japanese syntax, they pronounce it Kempo. In fact, Kempo is a generic reference to Chinese martial arts in Japan.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Kenpo originated in China, but over the years has taken on a Japanese, Okinawan, Hawaiian, and American mix. As spelled today, Kenpo with an "N" denotes its original Chinese heritage, while Kempo with an "M" refers to its use in Japanese culture. The word "Kenpo" means fist law or law of the fist, regardless of its spelling "Kenpo" or "Kempo". The word comes from the mandarin Chinese term "Chaun Fa" or what the Cantonese refer to as "Ken Fat". When the art was brought to Okinawa the native tongue of Hogun was used to translate the Chinese characters and the individual kanji into Kenpo. When the Japanese pronounce this term, using the later Japanese syntax, they pronounce it Kempo. In fact, Kempo is a generic reference to Chinese martial arts in Japan.
    That's what I was after. Thanks!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I've read this explanation as well. I also was told that the Kanji translation can be an interpretation mixup. That the Chinese character uses the N while the Japanese use the M.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6 View Post
    I've read this explanation as well. I also was told that the Kanji translation can be an interpretation mixup. That the Chinese character uses the N while the Japanese use the M.

Or did I mix that up??? Maybe the Chinese use the M and the Japanese use the N...
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Z-Rex is offline Zoran Sevic
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 607 Posts

As spelled today, Kenpo with an "N" denotes its original Chinese heritage, while Kempo with an "M" refers to its use in Japanese culture.
    That has nothing to do with the Japanese word. The seperation has more to do with common usage or lineage. However, Chow's Kempo is spelled with an "m" and I hear it has a chinese flavor. I've also seen the "n" spelling used for a very japanese system outside of the mitose influence, mostly overseas.

Anyways, different spelling veriations is not unique to the word Kenpo/Kempo.

Kung Fu - Gung Fu
    Jujutsu - Jujitsu - Jiu-Jitsu
    Wing Chun - Ving Tsun
    Chi Gung - Qi Gong
    Chuan Fa - Quan Fa - that is also the chinese word for kenpo/kempo
    God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Zoran "Z-Rex" Sevic | My Facebook | My YouTube Channel | Where I Teach |
    Like a T-Rex with longer arms

Thanks

Z-Rex: Yes, Professor Chow's Kara-Ho KeMpo has a Chinese flavor. In fact, the further one goes down the Kara-Ho "rabbit hole" the more Chinese flavor it seems to have.

James
    The above is just my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dianhsuhe View Post
    Z-Rex: Yes, Professor Chow's Kara-Ho KeMpo has a Chinese flavor. In fact, the further one goes down the Kara-Ho "rabbit hole" the more Chinese flavor it seems to have.

James
    I would imagine. After all, the man was Chinese. Regardless of if one believes where he received his chinese martial arts training, being of Chinese heritage would have exposed him to some form of Wushu at some point in his life. After all, most Chinese were very secretive and only trained other chinese in their martial arts back then.

Anyways, I think I went beyond the scope of this thread.
    Unfortunantly, he gave us 2 eyes and 10 fingers, which explains the problems we get on the internet.~Zoran

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rex View Post
    That has nothing to do with the Japanese word.
    That really depends who you talk to.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

That really depends who you talk to.
    like i said in my post, the word kempo has nothing to do with china.....no matter how you spell it or who you talk to.
    its this kind of ignorance that keeps perpetuating this myth.
    ken/mpo is a phonetic representation in english of a japanese word.
    anything else attached to its meaning has been done so mistakenly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcatbonz View Post
    like i said in my post, the word kempo has nothing to do with china.....no matter how you spell it or who you talk to.
    its this kind of ignorance that keeps perpetuating this myth.
    ken/mpo is a phonetic representation in english of a japanese word.
    anything else attached to its meaning has been done so mistakenly.
    Actually, looking at the kanji for Kempo/Kenpo (japanese) and Quanfa/Chuan Fa (chinese), they appear to be identical. It also appears that many systems in Japan that has the word Kenpo/Kempo attached to it has origins in China at one point in its history. Such as Shorinji Kempo (which means Shaolin Quanfa) and RyuKyu Kempo.

I do agree that the english spelling is not relative to the japanese word. Its only relevance is to the lineage of the particular system. Although Kempo/Kenpo is a japanese word, it is now an english word. Which means that the definition will be subject to common use or in some cases mis-use. Just as Kung Fu does not mean martial arts in China (Wushu means MA there), but here in the west it means Chinese Martial Arts.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Kanji was borrowed by Japan from China and is purely symbolic and not phonetical in nature. The Kanji and meaning are all the same for: Kenpo, Kempo, Chuan Fa, Quan fa, and Ken Fat.

_Don Flatt

Thanks

Actually, I was only interested in if there were different "definitions" based on the spelling. I didn't mean to start a war over it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Actually, I was only interested in if there were different "definitions" based on the spelling. I didn't mean to start a war over it!
    It's not a war but a discussion that can give us an opportunity to learn.

But the answer to you question is;

No. There is no difference in definition as far as spelling is concerned.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rex View Post
    Actually, looking at the kanji for Kempo/Kenpo (japanese) and Quanfa/Chuan Fa (chinese), they appear to be identical. It also appears that many systems in Japan that has the word Kenpo/Kempo attached to it has origins in China at one point in its history. Such as Shorinji Kempo (which means Shaolin Quanfa) and RyuKyu Kempo.

I do agree that the english spelling is not relative to the japanese word. Its only relevance is to the lineage of the particular system. Although Kempo/Kenpo is a japanese word, it is now an english word. Which means that the definition will be subject to common use or in some cases mis-use. Just as Kung Fu does not mean martial arts in China (Wushu means MA there), but here in the west it means Chinese Martial Arts.
    Zoran, i agree with everything in your post with the exception of the highlighted comment.
    I am quite familiar with the word's usage, but it is still a japanese word that tends to be used incorrectly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links