Thread: Techniques in our Kata

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Lightbulb Techniques in our Kata

There is a lot of talk but Kata here. . But will get something out of this post? That is what we are here for anyway to help and to get help. I've been working on my kata's for my test and have been looking at a lot of kata on the net to see the differences and there is a lot that is different. What I see a lot of is how the kata's have no speed and power or some have power but no speed. Kata can teach more then form of a strike and more then foot work. That is a different post. This is one for the differences. We all know That Sam-Pai, EPAK,Tracy are all different. So I'm going to use short 3 and Destructive Twins (Sorry Tracy Kenpo I do not know your name for this technique but it is the first one out of the kata). Doing Destructive Twins as a technique should not look different form the kata.. if you do the technique with out power and speed on the street you will get hit that I know. I'm not saying all do there kata with out speed and power but if you don't fight in the kata you do not get all that you can out of the kata. I know we all have been here be for, you are doing a technique with all your power and speed you can, and you just do not have a strong base something put us on your butt.. What is this you ask your self. if you are like me you will pick it apart and find the problem. What is the problem, you are on your butt why did this happen? your foot work was off but you have strong bows. Doing the technique with speed and power just makes you foot work stronger and if you do the kata the same as the technique you are now doing all you can for your bow's and not just half of what you can. "Perhaps the easiest thing to do in karate is to throw a kick or a punch once you know the basics.With a little practice, anyone can do that. But when it comes down to fighting and winning, the thing that separates the winners from the losers is speed" (BKF Championship Kenpo).Mr. Parker Mr. Dimmick Mr. Muhammad and Mr. Tatum became superior martial artiest ones we look up to because of sound technique and speed So in closing work you kata like your technique's. P.S What do you think???
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I practice my forms many various ways. One for aerobic type speed. One for timing of gaining a base then into power. So on and so on. I believe you need a good mix of them all. However, when it comes down to winning or losing, or down to you or me. I'm sorry to say it's got to be the other person. Most of all that stuff goes out of the window at the moment of combat. Your body will instinctively do what it needs to do.

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Techniques in our Kata

Most of all that stuff goes out of the window at the moment of combat. Your body will instinctively do what it needs to do. Yes I do think that. But to better the outcome of fight (combat) practice to fight. And the way you practice or kata is the way I do. thank you for your input
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Default Re: Techniques in our Kata

I remember watching a tape of Mr. Parker doing this form. He would do the techniques full speed and power but he slowed down during each transition. In doing so he made sure his base was perfect before each of the techniques. I tried mirroring this, and it really works. I feel really stable while doing each technique. Just a thaught...
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thank you for the tip
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Techniques in our Kata

I just went back and proof read my post and i will be sure to make sure i do it before i post my comments next time DONIE LOVE KENPO
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Dude, love your insight. But next time, think "paragraph"

One other thing kata may teach us with the speed and power is striking from various points of origin. I forget who told me that one....
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links