Thread: A pin is not a pin...

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default A pin is not a pin...

So in class last night, I had a flash of what some may consider the blinding obvious. A pin is not a pin but an extension of one's self. It sounds hoakey but with that in mind, many things come clear. Why do we grab? Why do we maintain that contact? Why do we want to stay close?

We train to gain control of ourselves so we can control our attacker. This allows us to control the situation.

Thoughts? Input, need more input......
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

Default Re: A pin is not a pin...

Well.......spiritually-speaking, you can only change, that which is yours, so by extension, you can only control that which is yours.

If you bring this to a body level, then it makes sense that if you wish to control the attacker, you must first own the weapon. Pinning is a way to own the weapon, so you can control it and the attack.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: A pin is not a pin...

Ok Johnny 5.. First in class last night it was cool to see that light go on. But for the Input only the ones that have had that blinding flash can know what the hell you are talking about. To give more about the blinding flash. You can be told something over and over but you just do not pick it up.When you do that is the blinding flash the obvious is that you have been told over and over.. ( I GET IT) "If you bring this to a body level, then it makes sense that if you wish to control the attacker, you must first own the weapon. Pinning is a way to own the weapon, so you can control it and the attack." Just like Amylong said, but now my young Kenpo brother what is the weapon? Is it the grab kick finger elbow punch, or the attacker? What Do you fight,the attack or the attacker? I want to say one more thing be for I go. I have this friend he is one of the best martial arts I know, He said "We train to gain control of ourselves so we can control our attacker. This allows us to control the situation" Welcome to Kenpo my friend
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Sounds like you learned an important lesson. Amy probably said it best, but I'll expand on it a little further with my 0.02.

That same concept applies to many different aspects within the arts. For instance: Once you find your center (of gravity) and learn to master it, you then have a greater understanding of balance and will find it easier to throw or take down opponents. Simply put, the more you understand yourself the more you understand your opponent.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

..."A kiss is not a kiss". lol.

A pin controls one or more of the opponent's weapons, can be used to help break their balance, and can, for that split second before you attack, squash the opponent's idea that they have an advantage. Did you notice one of these things or something else? There's nothing like a good Blinding Flash of The Obvious.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    At home, playing chess with a bust of Julius Caesar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zarnyk View Post
    So in class last night, I had a flash of what some may consider the blinding obvious. A pin is not a pin but an extension of one's self. It sounds hoakey but with that in mind, many things come clear. Why do we grab? Why do we maintain that contact? Why do we want to stay close?

We train to gain control of ourselves so we can control our attacker. This allows us to control the situation.

Thoughts? Input, need more input......
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Sounds like you learned an important lesson. Amy probably said it best, but I'll expand on it a little further with my 0.02.

That same concept applies to many different aspects within the arts. For instance: Once you find your center (of gravity) and learn to master it, you then have a greater understanding of balance and will find it easier to throw or take down opponents. Simply put, the more you understand yourself the more you understand your opponent.
    Zarnyk, it sounds like this is what you were talking about. Regaining control of your balance so that you can effectively execute your technique?

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

To quote my arnis instructor.."you touch me I touch you and punish...you grab me I grab you and punish..."

I teach my beginning students 'when your opponent grabs you grab'...I want them to neutralize/control the weapon...they have taken that weapon away when they control it. Also, how many non-martial artists exoect to be grabbed and controlled when that is their intention? I believe it takes away tehire momentum and advantage.

I am looking at this from the perspective of a retaliatory pin or grab from the initial attack by ones opponent. This also easily translates to the use of pinning checks in either a countering or offensive situation.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
    Zarnyk, it sounds like this is what you were talking about. Regaining control of your balance so that you can effectively execute your technique?
    Not exactly. I am thinking it more in the same light as wielding a weapon. When you strike with a weapon, that weapon is an extention of you. You should be able control that weapon as if it was your own hand and move with it as if your arms were that much longer.

When pinning, think of the person as an extention of you. In my mind, this makes control of an opponent much easier. Am I off base thinking this way?
    Loyal student of Sifu DangeRuss
    Sam Pai Kenpo

"Jeet Kune Do: it's just a name; don't fuss over it. There's no such thing as a style if you understand the roots of combat." -Bruce Lee

Thanks

Not exactly. I am thinking it more in the same light as wielding a weapon. When you strike with a weapon, that weapon is an extention of you. You should be able control that weapon as if it was your own hand and move with it as if your arms were that much longer.
    Bells just went off!

When you pin an opponents weapon to your own body, and use your body in ballance to manipulate the weapon and the opponent, you establish center line control at its' very core. That weapon is a direct mechanical link to his center line, via his spine. Pull, push, lock or throw- whatever you want, for that moment the game is yours. You own the central line, his center line, and by extension the dimensions you control as you manipulate him.

Dan C
    There are things that are worth knowing for their own sake, worth finding for the pure joy of discovery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    Bells just went off!

When you pin an opponents weapon to your own body, and use your body in ballance to manipulate the weapon and the opponent, you establish center line control at its' very core. That weapon is a direct mechanical link to his center line, via his spine. Pull, push, lock or throw- whatever you want, for that moment the game is yours. You own the central line, his center line, and by extension the dimensions you control as you manipulate him.

Dan C
    Yeah....what he said.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: A pin is not a pin...

When pinning, think of the person as an extention of you. In my mind, this makes control of an opponent much easier. Am I off base thinking this way?
    Off base no, to think off base OR out of the box is kenpo some of us just have different ways of thinking keep it coming -Z-
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links