Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Would This Be Surprising?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Why Would This Be Surprising?

Notice the tag line? "Kenpo Evolves"

Do you think the general MA public view Kenpo as a traditional art instead of an innovative, street tested, butt-kicking art?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Exclamation Re: Why Would This Be Surprising?

Wow....before ya know it, it'll probably drop down out of the trees and start wandering around upright, developing tools...it'll be anarchy I tell ya!
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Why Would This Be Surprising?

Me make fire, do Kenpo... ugh....

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

I think the general public only view bjj and forms of mma as the only valid 'street systems' today. Just curious, I wonder how Mas Oyama or Gichin Funakoshi (spelling?) would have done against Royce or Matt Hughes?

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    Do you think the general MA public view Kenpo as a traditional art instead of an innovative, street tested, butt-kicking art?

I think you may be correct in that statement. For me when I was on the outside looking in I would have believed that statement. It showed my ignorance. It was not until I researched Kenpo / Kempo and all the offshots that I found out about what Kenpo / Kempo had to offer.

I think the statement of "Kenpo Evolves" shows that it may be evolving as Mr. Parker hoped. Coming from a traditional background in Japanese martial arts as well as Chung Do Kwan TKD, I think I was programmed to think within the box of knowledge. Now in my journey with Kenpo I find that it seems to be far from traditional and encourages the outside the box of knowledge thinking.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by execkenpo View Post
    I think the general public only view bjj and forms of mma as the only valid 'street systems' today. Just curious, I wonder how Mas Oyama or Gichin Funakoshi (spelling?) would have done against Royce or Matt Hughes?
    In the octogon or on the street?
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

I do believe that all the arts out there have something to offer. Remember, it's the woman/man that makes the art, and not vice-versa.

I also believe that Kenpo is evolving. With all the branches and "off-shoots" that are becoming more and more available, it can't help itself. However, just like in the "theory of evolution", many branches will die and only the robust, well taught, well-rounded, branches will survive past one to three or perhaps four generations.

Time has a way of dealing with all the leftovers.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

In the octogon or on the street?
    On the street I would have to give it to either Oyama or Funakoshi. Octagon, hard to say.

Speaking of Octagon, other than Keith Hackney, any other kenpoists enter the octagon?

Thanks

On the street I would have to give it to either Oyama or Funakoshi. Octagon, hard to say.

Speaking of Octagon, other than Keith Hackney, any other kenpoists enter the octagon?
    I know Chuck Lidell has a "Kempo" tatoo. I believe he studied in Hawaii.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

I have no first hand knowledge but looking at the earlier stuff compared to later Kenpo does seem to have evolved.

sigung86 is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Wright City, Missouri, United States, 113653311978716, Wright City, Missouri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,405 Times in 729 Posts

Depends on when you got them in the course of their lives. In the end, Oyama, the man who worked out under thundering waterfalls, dressed in a "diaper" in the middle of winter, and dehorned bulls with his bare hands went down to cancer.

Funakoshi, in the years that he was really most productive, and experienced (obviously his much later years) had to be carried up and down stairs on the backs of his students so as to save energy for teaching and demonstrating.

Another tought on Funakoshi ... His art, Shotokan, was considered by many his peers, to be a sanitized, sporterized version of the mixture of technique that originated in Okinawa that Funakoshi dubbed as Karat้, first "China Hand", later "Empty Hand".

Thanks

That is a great question CC.

In general, those that train in the martial arts but don't have a big interest in MMA fighting view kenpo as a practical street-tested art, while most MMA fighters view Kenpo as traditional and non-evolving.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Why would you say Oyama or Funakoshi?

Also, Jeff Newton (one of Bob White's black belts) recently fought in the UFC but lost.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

For both Oyama and Funakoshi, karate was who there were, more than what they did. I believe their level of training and committment was higher than many of us achieve (myself included, though I seriously try). There training was also not sport oriented and I think that if they had to use their skills in a real life confrontation the potential for serious injury or death to the attacker was high. Someone else said it best "when two tigers fight, one will be maimed and one will be killed". No disrespect to Hughes or Gracie and their committment, this is just my opinion.

Wasn't it Oyama who sliced off the horn of a bull with a knife hand strike then killed it with a punch?

Thanks

Kenpo is always evolving. Nice headline, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Michael Huffman
    1st Black, AKKI
    www.akki.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

What month's issue is that Black Belt Magazine.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    That is a great question CC.

In general, those that train in the martial arts but don't have a big interest in MMA fighting view kenpo as a practical street-tested art, while most MMA fighters view Kenpo as traditional and non-evolving.
    Crazy...why is that do you think?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    What month's issue is that Black Belt Magazine.
    Not sure...I happened to notice it on Amy's website and just wondered about it....I wonder a lot....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Not sure...I happened to notice it on Amy's website and just wondered about it....I wonder a lot....
    My luck is that it is teh Nov issue. I ended up getting 2 copies of the Oct issue from BB and my Dec just arrived, but no Nov issue. I guess I will be calling them tomorrow to demand they send me a new one.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    My luck is that it is teh Nov issue. I ended up getting 2 copies of the Oct issue from BB and my Dec just arrived, but no Nov issue. I guess I will be calling them tomorrow to demand they send me a new one.
    While you're at it, cuss 'em for me too. I paid for a subscription, got 3 mags at the same time and nothing since...it's been about 2 months. What's wrong with them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links