Thread: SL4 Kenpo Seminar Opened my eyes!

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Finally... Secrets of SL4 Kenpo Exposed!

This SL4 Seminar in Tampa opened my eyes...

because when I got hit, most of the time I opened them really wide and went "hmmph!".

The way the material is presented makes it easy to convince yourself that it works. And Doc Chapel is open for any doubts or questions, and answers them. Very honest and direct.

Just the recognition of the "indexes" and what they do, and how you can use them in physical confrontations can maximize the effectiveness of how you train!

The PAM's really make a signifcant improvement to the stability of my stances.

The BAMS's really make a significan improvement in the stability and power of my limbs' movements (bloks, strikes).

(When you compare with them and without them, the difference is vast!)

And understanding the applications of anatomical concepts and principles like MR, VCD, NCA, PNF, etc. to physical confrontations makes me look with new eyes the material I've been studying and how much better I can make it!

in other words, I leaned a lot, and enjoyed it a lot!

Thanks to Kenny G for making it possible and for being so willing to help us to learn as much as possible; thanks to Mike Courcelle for being a good host in his training center.

As always it is an incredible pleasure to train with my Kali Kenpo friends from Tampa and Puerto Rico (Bear, JR, Ron, Ismael "GG", Guito, Carlos, Jimmy).

And a special thanks to Rodrigo Perez for sharing with us so very much so openly until 3am, and to Bode for correcting us and hitting me to show me. Both very skilled and fun guys. and always remembering Doc Chapel... Very many thanks!!!

I'm even thinking of finding business in LA to be able to go often and train with them!

Sincerely,

Juan M. Mercado
    Last edited by profesormental; 11-06-2006 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Better subject title

Thanks

Default Re: MT: Finally... Secrets of SL4 Kenpo Exposed!

Oh, I'm so jealous! Would have really enjoyed that one!
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

Thanks

Default Re: SL4 Kenpo Seminar Opened my eyes!

Sounds like you had a great time and learned allot.

How different was it from your EPAK or as Mr. Chapel calls it "Motion Kenpo".
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time and learned allot.

How different was it from your EPAK or as Mr. Chapel calls it "Motion Kenpo".
    Yes! Please elaborate!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Default Re: MT: Finally... Secrets of SL4 Kenpo Exposed!

...um...we have a double post here.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Greetings.

The difference is in the basic principles that dictate the effectiveness of your training results.

When your movements are dictated by their maximum anatomical stability and whole body structural integrity,

which is brought about by specific sequences that are DEMAMDED by your body,

then those small movements and sequences that are normally skipped by practitioners become important.

It's like talking with everything pronounced, hen you can eventually use contractions and talk fast.

Yet for maximum correctness in your language, you must pronounce EVERYTHING so that it becomes part of your behavior. (Remember that this is an analogy and not exactly how the physiological integration process works!)

The thing is that if you "pronounce" all the "indexes", those sequences bring about MAXIMUM anatomical efficiency.

It is not to say that moving fast and hitting someone won't work. It does.

What it means is that if you follow the sequences that your body demands for maximum effect (and they are there in most of the AK techniques if correctly pointed out, or "pronounced"),

then your response is so much more effective (better results), efficient (uses less resources), and repeatable. Then with familiarity with the pronounciation comes speed... and it is FAST!

Also, the responses of the attacker are under much more control by you...

and you can easily decide the amount of damage and control you want to inflict.

Also, maximizing the effectiveness of the simulation does wonders for your timing.

This means that the attack by the uke is really aggressive and the reactions are those dictated by flinch responses (hit your face, then hands come to face; hit your gut, bend and collapse arms over gut and step back; etc.)

And that really opens up the next attack, which was inaccessible before, since the duty of the muscular system is stability OR protection and can't do both at the same time.

Does that make sense?

So the next open target in the sequence is hit, then the effect is multiplied...

in a demonstration GG was almost knocked out with a small slap. He wabbled a bit almost unnoticeably, yet with some more power he would've probably been heavily rattled!

For your information, GG is the name Doc Chapel gave to Ismael, a.k.a the Kali Kenpo Lab Rat. GG is for Gorilla Grip. And Doc Chapel could get out of his grip with no effort.

You can hit GG and it don't hurt him until it would knock out a normal person. Then he says "Ooooo, that's good!! Do it again!!"

After passing a test a Filipino Combat Systems Guro, Guro Ray Cole, hit him with a stick... then Kenny Gonzalez hit him several times... he said OK, that hurts! Then later in the evening we cheked for bruises.

NOTHING!!!!! Just a little bruise that was harly visible, not even purple.... the others had red and purple bruises the size of the frikin' stick.

And he wanted to volunteer for every demo (they didn't let him, so we all got demoed on!), and every time he was seemingly effortlessly whomped with repeatable full effect.

That is the ultimate test that this stuff works. That's why he's the Lab Rat.
    Not to mention that he is inmensly strong and fast himself! He moves very much like Kenny G.

Essentially, it is a relearning of the basics, then putting THOSE basics in the sequences we call Techniques, and taking into account the reactions of the attacker and how they can be controlled.

Also, you start seeng those indexes in the Chinese arts... and they are not pronounced unless instructed stricly that they should.

Also, you see that Finger set is not a finger set... it's an indexing set. You also see the importance of Short 1.

This material would take years to figure out on your own. I decided to use the scientific model and not redo what is already done, just check if it is repeatable and go from there.

That way I can contribute more.

To answer your question of how different; it is different in the pronounciation and method of execution of some basics.

Also, you find out that restaurants and parking lots become your training grounds. You share a lot during dinner, then ingrain it in the training studio.

Anyway, if you have specific questions, you'll get more specific answers, since for general questions you'll get general answers!

Enjoy!!

Juan M. Mercado

P.S. Good getting back in contact again... if I had a car I would've gone up to Georgia or even to Seck's place... where is it by the way?

Unfortunately, I'm here in Orlando until tomorrow. Hope to play around in your schools next time I come to Florida!

Thanks

Hey Juan,

I am about 3 hours South of Orlando right now. I moved here for a family reason a few months ago. No studio yet, no place to train either that is local. Sean Kelley is about an hour one way and I have visited him, great guy, we go back a long time. Just hard to make that trip often after work.

If you find yourself in Fort Lauderdale area let me know. Also if you are near Jupiter or Palm Beach, Lake Worth you need to visit Mr. Kelley. He is probably only 90 mintues from Orlando and worth the visit.

Send me an email anytime.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by profesormental View Post

Also, you find out that restaurants and parking lots become your training grounds. You share a lot during dinner, then ingrain it in the training studio.

Enjoy!!

Juan M. Mercado
    Someone needs to re-do "My Dinner with Andre'" into "My Dinner with Doc". Or at the very least, "Late Night with Doc Chapel" as a T-shirt for the right of passage of staying up waaaaay late in restaurant parking lots going over advanced kenpo concepts.

You can learn a years worth of new material over one meal (and the parking lot seesions on the way out)...but then take the next year integrating it into your kenpo.

Glad you had an excellent experience; I figured you would.

Keep learning,

Dave
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links