Thread: What keeps you motivated

Bob Hubbard is offline Retired

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,157 Posts

Default Motivation question for all contributors

With the ever increasingly frantic pace of life, and all of its distraction, what has kept you motivated to continue your training and how have you overcome the demotivators that have been thrown in your path?
    For ANY and ALL KenpoTalk issues, please use theContact Us link here or at page bottom right. Do NOT PM me for site support.

Thanks

Default Re: Motivation question for all contributors

Because the arts for me is one of the only constants in my life. When times are good and bad I have always kept training.

Now I don't know anything different.

It may not be as much training but it is always present in some way.

Thanks for the topic!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

For me;
    The only thing that's never given up on me is my training. It's always been there in times of need to aid as a distration for everyday life.

Thanks

This is a cool topic; I donít have one set answer to this question as a lot of factors keep me going. One such factor that gets me to the school, I am paying about $12 a class. ($100 a month) Another I canít get a black belt sitting in front of the TV. I feel guilty if I miss a class. Itís like a drug when I am doing something I donít quite understand then all of the sudden Ė I Get It. Then again when I am able to learn something new and see how that fits in with what I have learned and can be used along with something else. (Thatís a big rush). Respect for my instructor, His instructors. If all hell breaks out I will have some idea what to do because I trained for such an occurrence. The info can never be taken away it will always be mine. And the hope of one day passing on what I have been taught, maybe I will be in a position to have students of my own. Maybe that training will save theirs or someone elseís life.

As someoneís Quote once said --- I canít not Kenpo
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

It's the only kind of exercise I really enjoy. Over the last year and a half, I have started to enjoy just going to the gym and doing the sit ups, exercise bike, etc. but that's only recently.

My recent motivation is that this is the best shape my body has been in since I was about 20. I had cancer, then 2 kids, then 6 years off, so I've had a few roadblocks. I love to have my body back.

I've been feeling strong too and that makes me happy. Plus, now that I have my black belt, I have to look like I deserve it, so I practice a lot, hoping to fool people.

So far so good.

Plus, I have to keep in shape to kick certain people's butts the next time I see them. And you know who you are.......

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default What keeps you motivated

As Bob Hubbard started a topic in the American Kenpo Insights forum that was only supposed to be answered by our special contributors, but has been answered by several others, I have re-started the thread here and moved all the posts here.

With the ever increasingly frantic pace of life, and all of its distraction, what has kept you motivated to continue your training and how have you overcome the demotivators that have been thrown in your path?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: What keeps you motivated

"Plus, I have to keep in shape to kick certain people's butts the next time I see them. And you know who you are......."

Geez.. what ever it was I'm sorry....

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

i dont want to end up like my old man.
    sitting in front of the tube, over weight, and diabetic

its what keeps me active, working out, and doing as much as i possibly can.

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Martial arts just seems to ground me. I've been involved since I was 4 and I think there was only a period of a 6 month break at one point. It's just something that has been there my whole life. It's the first love that has always been there. Time has moved on, family lost, friends came and went, significant other here and gone, but through everything martial arts remained my pilar of strngth. When I can't make class I feel guilty. Funny how things evolve through the years as it becomes such an important part of your life.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Loyalty to my instructor and fellow students, and besides I love kenpo!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I think I'm just plain addicted. Kenpo gives me an outlet to transform all the negative energy accumulated throughout the day from stress at work and everyday life and channel it into something positive. No matter how bad a day I have I can go in, work the bad a little, do some techniques and afterwards feel like a million bucks! It's an outlet and an effective tool for stress management. Not to mention it's fun! It's a form of escape and I get real cranky if I miss too many classes or practice.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    I think I'm just plain addicted. Kenpo gives me an outlet to transform all the negative energy accumulated throughout the day from stress at work and everyday life and channel it into something positive. No matter how bad a day I have I can go in, work the bad a little, do some techniques and afterwards feel like a million bucks! It's an outlet and an effective tool for stress management. Not to mention it's fun! It's a form of escape and I get real cranky if I miss too many classes or practice.
    Well Said!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links