Thread: Staff Set 1

Thanks

Default Staff Set 1

I've been working on staff set 1 recently and I must say that mine seems to be very stinky.

I feel like I don't have much of a grasp on it. The finer points.

The timing.

I'm going to record it and post it for feedback, but until I get that done, I wanted to ask some timing questions.

I'll try to explain the part in question.

It's right before the crescent kick part. When you step forward and swing the stick horizontally. Then reverse directions and do it again just before the kick. Know which part I mean?

Do you step, then strike or step and strike at the same time?

(Bear in mind that I learned this when I was on chemo, so certain parts never stuck right.)

Thanks.

--Amy

P.S. Isn't anyone willing to post a clip of them doing Staff Set 1. Jamie? How about you? Someone, please????
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Default Re: Staff Set 1

This is such a difficult set to describe with words. But, I'll take a shot, with my most abbreviated language. These are the basic moves, as I understand them in the series before the crescent kicks.

• Beginning with the staff vertical, at your left side, complete a figure eight.
    • Settle into a Left Neutral Bow stance while executing a horizontal downward block.
    • Strike with the left end of the staff on the middle line (striking at the floating ribs). There is no foot maneuver with this strike.
    • Step through foot maneuver while executing a low strike with the right end of the staff. (This strike sweeps and lifts the attackers right leg).
    • Pivot in place to a Left Twist Stance, the staff coming to rest on the 6-12 line, at your left hip. Poke the staff toward your 6 O'clock.
    This the first side. We repeat this sequence of strikes in the opposite direction.
    • Draw your right foot forward, from the twist stance to a natural stance, as you bring the staff to the vertical alignment at your right side.
    • Complete a figure eight with the staff, beginning on your right side.
    • Settle into a Right Neutral Bow, while executing a horizontal downward block with the staff.
    • Strike with the right end of the staff on the horizontal line, to the floating ribs. There is no foot maneuver with this strike.
    • Step through to a Left Neutral Bow stance, while striking with the left end of the staff, on the low line, sweeping and lifting the attackers left leg (the attacker is in a left stance as this sequence begins).
    • Pivot in place to a Right Twist Stance, as the staff continues its horizontal circle, coming to rest on your right hip, on the 6 - 12 line.
    • Poke to your 6 O'clock.
    This completes this series of moves. To begin the crescent kick sequence ...
    • Unwind from the Right Twist stance (a ninety degree counter clockwise rotation). The staff moves from your right hip, to directly in front of you.
    • Now begin the counter clockwise crescent kick sequence.

This is how I understand this portion of the staff set. Much like the two man set, there is much information that does not "feel" like American Kenpo. It just seems weird.

So, the way I read your question ... and if I understand where we are in the set ....

Yes - we strike horizontally without the foot maneuver - strike to ribs.

and

Yes, we strike horizontally with the foot maneuver - sweep the foot.

Mike

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Thats a good question Amy, my 2 boys (brown belts) need staff set and I guess me learning it now wouldnt hurt, are there any videos I can watch?

Anyone?

Thanks

Ugh.

Thanks Michael. I'm not sure I understood your explanation. Unfortunately, with this set, if there's anything that we do differently, it's going to muddy-up the reading. I don't recall having a twist stance at that part, so I'm not sure if it's a little difference or if you're describing a different part of the kata.

We definitely need a clip. I'm going to make one of myself doing my poopy version of this set and we can go from there, I guess. I really would like to see someone post it doing it at a slower speed so we can dissect it.

I've never felt like I had a really good grasp of the intricacies of this set.

I appreciate you trying though.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

Well, I just burned a clip of this set. My main DSL link is down at the moment, I'm posting from my wireless card. I'll try to get the clip up later today.

If anyone else has one in their archive, I'ld love to see it too.

m

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Amy,

I am still re-learning the set but, I might be able to get a clip of Tyler doing it.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

My raw video is 70 megabytes ... so, I may not be able to get it posted. I have to figure out how to cut that down quite a bit before I have enough space on my web page to post it. I will work on that later today, when I am not on the boss's time.

Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    My raw video is 70 megabytes ... so, I may not be able to get it posted. I have to figure out how to cut that down quite a bit before I have enough space on my web page to post it. I will work on that later today, when I am not on the boss's time.

Mike
    You can get a free program called ashampoo. I think that's what it's called. You can use it to compress the program.

Thanks for doing that. I'm anxious to see it.

--Amy

Thanks

Ok ... I have the video posted. It's just about 8 megabytes. I had to install the DivX codec to be able to see the file.

http://home.sprynet.com/~michaeledward/video/_0001.avi

The sequence that I am talking about begins at about the :54 second mark. I'll be glad to field any questions on what you see me doing, and what I think I am doing in this set. As I watch myself, I can see the spots where I am thinking about what comes next. I'm sure you all will too.

The "Staff" I am using, is actually a walking stick picked up from a local artisan. It is, obviously, too short for this set, but I think it gives an idea as to where the staff is supposed to be going.

Here's hoping you can see it.

Mike

Thanks

You definitely do certain parts differently. You go into a twist stance at that one part I had a question about and I do it fairly different.

Also, for the kick when you plant the staff, are you doing a wheel kick?

I do a side thrust there.

And you do TWO of those crescent kicks. Are those the ones called 'tornado kicks'? I don't recall.

I'll get something posted here soon too. Thanks so much for putting it up.

--Amy

Thanks

Plant the staff - Roundhouse Kick - I'm old and creaky, so the kick didn't get very high. We do not use the term 'Wheel Kick'.

I also have not heard the term 'Tornado Kick'. But yes, the crescent kicks sequence is:

Unwind (from twist stance)
    Pivot Counter Clockwise
    Outward Left Crescent Kick
    Inward Right Crescent Kick
    Outward Left Crescent Kick
    Inward Right Crescent Kick
    Land and pivot into a Left Twist Stance -
    Snapping Poke staff to your 6 from your right hand
    Unwind
    Pivot Clockwise
    Outward Right Crescent Kick
    Inward Left Crescent Kick
    Outward Right Crescent Kick
    Inward Left Crescent Kick
    Land in a Left Neutral Bow Stance
    Thrust Poke staff to your 12 from your right hand (push)
    Right Front Ball Kick
    Thrust Poke staff to your 6 from your right hand (pull)
    Strike Over & Under
    180 degree cover step with your left foot with counter clockwise circle with the staff.
    And, just to check myself, these are the notes I have from Michael Acord's Manual. This matches, word for word, or almost word for word, what is included in Mr. Hale's Kenpo Journal.
    Technique 7
    : a defense against a punch
    A. Pivot counter clockwise, do left spinning crescent and right inward outward crescent kicks. Plant briefly in a right front crossover, and do the same kicks to 12:00, planting in a right front crossover.
    B. Twist counter clockwise in place to face 6:00, and do right spinning crescent and left inward outward
    crescent kicks to 6:00. Plant briefly in a left front crossover, and do the same kicks to 6:00, planting in a left front crossover.

Technique 8
    : a defense against a kick or punch
    A. Step back slightly with the right foot to 12:00, into a left neutral bow to 6:00, as you poke to 6:00. Do a right front kick to 6:00 with a rear poke to 12:00, on the right side. Plant back to 12:00 in a left neutral bow, and then strike over and under on the right side
    Disclaimer - Always execute the form, set, or technique in accordance with the way your instructor taught you. When ever I say, "We do it this way" - what I mean is my instructor has directed me to execute the form, set, or technique in a specific manner, for a specific reason, or reasons. Sometimes I know those reasons. Sometimes, I am not yet aware of those reasons. Sometimes, I can deduce some the reasons. Unless your next test is going to be infront of my instructor, executing the form, set or technique as I execute the form, set, or technique may not benefit you at all.

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your clip.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I'm sure if we all got into the same room our forms will be different. This comes from association, affiliation, instructor, instructor interpretation, your skill level, plus others. I would like to watch Michael's clip but being on the dial up still It'll take a long while.

After reading the brief description posted on here then looking on my hard drive at the written version I have; I don't think mine is the same as the written version. Once again it all comes down to who taught it to you and how well you can do the form. I'm sure mine's ok, but maybe not as good as others.

The tornado kick as I know it is a 540 jumping, spinning inward crescent kick. You turn a full 360degrees in the air while kicking with the rear foot after your turn and a half. If I started left side forward then did my 360 to kick with the right foot . Not very practical. I gave up most of the jumping and spinning when I left TKD, but not all of them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post

The tornado kick as I know it is a 540 jumping, spinning inward crescent kick. You turn a full 360degrees in the air while kicking with the rear foot after your turn and a half. If I started left side forward then did my 360 to kick with the right foot . Not very practical. I gave up most of the jumping and spinning when I left TKD, but not all of them.
    I think I misunderstood what a tornado kick is then. I don't think I can now, nor have I ever been able to do one. I don't see it happening anywhere in the future either.

I'm going to bring my video camera to the Florida camp, so anyone else who is technologically-challenged can come and swing the staff around and I'll tape it.

Same for any other katas you'd like recorded and posted.

--Amy

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong View Post
    I think I misunderstood what a tornado kick is then. I don't think I can now, nor have I ever been able to do one.
    It's an extremely difficult kick to execute. Everything has to be right to actually do it. You know. The moon has to be in line with jupiter and the star all out shining brightly. The earth on it's axis at such and such a degree.

Well, maybe not quite that hard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post
    It's an extremely difficult kick to execute. Everything has to be right to actually do it. You know. The moon has to be in line with jupiter and the stars all out shining brightly. The earth on it's axis at such and such a degree.

Well, maybe not quite that hard.
    LOL. I think I have no hope then. LOL

Thanks

The way I see this kick, the left kick, rotates about 270 degrees. I begin the motion with my left foot facing 3 O'clock and my foot lands facing 6 O'clock. (or so). As the right foot follows, the left foot actually pivots on the ground, perhaps another 90 degrees.

A 540 degree rotation ... wow. Couldn't you just kick the guy the first time you go by?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links