Thread: Poll ... well almost

Thanks

Default Poll ... well almost

Here goes the topic is Seminars:

1. What do you learn at a seminar?

2. Do you always have an "ah-ha!" moment?

3. Is any seminar from any style good to attend?

4. Have you ever seen a senior black belts attending a seminar from a style different than their own?

5. What do you expect to learn at a seminar?

6. Are they hype to promote a person or system?

7. How have you benefited from a seminar?

Thanks in advance for your reponses.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Poll ... well almost

Great topic Martin.

1. What do you learn at a seminar? I attend seminars to gain a new perspective of something I already know or to learn about something I have only been able to read or hear about

2. Do you always have an "ah-ha!" moment? I usually have an ah - ha moment at the seminar if it is a topic I have some idea about before hand. If teh topic is completely new to me, it might be a couple days or even at the 2nd seminar of that topic before the light comes off the dimmer switch

3. Is any seminar from any style good to attend? If you are trying to broaden your experience yes, and only if the instructor is the real deal. If the instructor is a BS artist or what is being taught is counter productive to what you are currently learning then it might be detrimental to your training.

4. Have you ever seen a senior black belts attending a seminar from a style different than their own? Several times

5. What do you expect to learn at a seminar? I expect learn what is being offered, I also expect the topic to be on the flyer ahead of time

6. Are they hype to promote a person or system? There have been a lot of seminars like that. Now a days it with more people communicating it is a little easier to avoid the BS artists, and they get squashed pretty quick.

7. How have you benefited from a seminar? I have made a lot of great contacts at seminars, learned a great deal of interesting tidbits that accentuate my personal flavor and gained inmeasurable insight.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Questionare:

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo View Post
    1. What do you learn at a seminar? If Kenpo, new insights to what I know or maybe new material.

If other systems, a different perspective on what I do.

2. Do you always have an "ah-ha!" moment? Usually at least one.

3. Is any seminar from any style good to attend? Generally speaking, yes. Who said we know it all?

4. Have you ever seen a senior black belts attending a seminar from a style different than their own? Depends on what you mean by "senior," and in what capacity. I've seen some really senior practitioners who were also instructing sit in on one anothers class at the same seminar. I've also seen some pretty high ranked individuals, though not the top of their respective systems, attend seminars.

5. What do you expect to learn at a seminar? New insights and different perspectives.

6. Are they hype to promote a person or system? Not the ones I've attended.

7. How have you benefited from a seminar? I've gained new insights and perspectives.

You're welcome, in retrospect.

Dan C

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

4. Have you ever seen a senior black belts attending a seminar from a style different than their own?

Mr. Planas likes to tell us that Seminars are advanced students working on advanced material. This makes seminars frustrating and difficult for the beginning and intermediate student. That has been my biggest 'Ah-ha' moment.

At this point, my self-assessment is that I am beginning to understand how 'Ed Parker's American Kenpo' is put together, and works. Of all of the seminars I attended over the past five or six years, probably didn't help me very much, because my base-line knowledge was insufficient for the task.

I have decided, that I am not going to attend any seminars for other systems for some time to come. I have been studying with Mr. Hogan for six years now, and I do not think cross training would provide any usable benefit. Instead, I think it would dilute my current training.

When I attended the Sunday Seminars at the 2003 Boston Internationals, there was one instructor that told us we were more stable on one foot, rather than two (or something along those lines) ... it was so alien to my training, I had to sit out that session. This instructor had us floating on one foot at a time through the technique Thundering Hammers. It was just plain wierd.

I am confident that every seminar would provide a student the opportunity to take something of value away from the session. But at this point in my training, I would really work to 'Stick to my Knitting'. Do the things I am working on and hopefully good at; and that is 'Ed Parker's American Kenpo'; mostly of the Parker Planas Lineage.

I think the most important thing though, is that the baseline knowledge for the seminar is set properly. I learned 'Blinding Sacrifice' as a yellow belt. I shouldn't have been in the seminar. I still know and love the technique, but it was beyond my ability at that time.

I think.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff. Let's see if we can get some more participation!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Thanks. This info helps with the thread I opened about Seminar Advice and if me being a lower rank would be an issue.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,181 Times in 674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6 View Post
    Thanks. This info helps with the thread I opened about Seminar Advice and if me being a lower rank would be an issue.
    I'm not sure I saw that thread, or if I responded. There are some challenges with seminars at the lower ranks. But, that will also depend on the presenter of the seminar.

I don't want to speak for others ... (hint hint) ... but I found my first seminar with Mr. Planas, as a yellow belt, overwhelming. I did not have enough material base line for that seminar. I'm pretty sure I felt the same way with my second seminar - or at least looking back on it now, I should have felt overwhelmed if I didn't. (If you search on MartialTalk, you should be able to find the posts of my seminar notes from those seminars).

When I went to the 2003 Boston Seminar, the classes were broken out by belt. This moved us toward a certain level of base-line knowledge by all participants in the group. I think that might be a good way to look for seminars as a newer student. There may not be as many opportunities, but those that you find, I think, may be more valuable.

Martin, this may be a thing to think about if you are planning on hosting seminars. Set aside some time, if possible, for specific levels of students.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6 View Post
    Excellent I am glad you benefited from it!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaeledward View Post
    Martin, this may be a thing to think about if you are planning on hosting seminars. Set aside some time, if possible, for specific levels of students.
    Excellent Idea!!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

1. What do you learn at a seminar? Sometimes it's just a little tweak or two on a technique. Sometimes it's a drill. Sometimes it's a way of looking at things.

2. Do you always have an "ah-ha!" moment? No, but it's nice when it happens.

3. Is any seminar from any style good to attend? I pretty much only attend kenpo seminars, but in Maryland, there were some other ones that were pretty darn interesting and blended well with the kenpo.

4. Have you ever seen a senior black belt attending a seminar from a style different than their own? Yes, in Maryland. Senior being what rank?

5. What do you expect to learn at a seminar? Concepts and principles that can be added to other techniques or forms. Something to take home with me to work on.

6. Are they hype to promote a person or system? They could be. It's like a concert to promote a record. You still get good music. Same for seminars; Mr. Speakman is promoting his 5.0. People won't want to learn it if they have no idea what it is. He promoted the system and I learned a lot in the process.

7. How have you benefited from a seminar? When I go to seminars and camps, there's a certain osmosis that happens. When you're around a bunch of people who know different things than you do, some of it just seeps in. So there's an attitude change, a revitalization of my desire to do kenpo, new concepts come in, etc. Sometimes, I can't put my finger on anything I've learned, but I know that I'm doing stuff better.

Great topic, Martin.
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

it depends upon the topic

have them from time to time. I did have some the last seminar with Mr. Wedlake.

again, it depends upon the subject matter

not really. I don't typically attend something other than a kenpo seminar.

as usual. depends on the subject matter

not really hype. Although, typically, our studio tests before the seminars start.

many, many, different ways.

too bad I couldn't have been a better help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth View Post

too bad I couldn't have been a better help
    Perhaps could you be more specific?
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Depends on the seminar and what the focus is, but I always learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by florida_kenpo
    Thus far, yes.

I would say "yes" for the most part. If you are close minded and close yourself off from other styles you miss out on learning opportunities.

Can't recall.....

Something new, or at least a different perspective on something I may not have yet considered on my own.

Some yes, some no.

I have grown and improved my skills! Did you want specifics? LOL

No problem brother!
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Most are introductory types of stuff. Sometimes in different styles and there approach to things. Like Goju slapping tecniques.

Earlier yes. I still have them; but, not guarenteed.

Yes. If it is a good instructor you can always learn something. I often like these better because it makes you think outside your comfort zone.

Yes. George Dillman, Remy Presas, Wally Jay, Lean Jay, Carl Long, Fumio Toyoda, Meik Skoss, and others.

Techniques, concepts, history.

No.

Yes. I enjoy the post parties just as much. Seeing other martial artists and hearing stories from various Seniors in the arts.
    More Shugyo!

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links