Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roundhouse to the face

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Smile roundhouse to the face

I was thinking(yes i can do that sometimes) about how many of you kenpo Guys/gals do the roundhouse kick to the face when you train??
    you know like when you do line tecq's and you do a "what if" do you use that kick, but i mean to the face,i'll tell you now that i don't(but thats me)
    now don't get me wrong here ,if the person is bending over *and you have a clear shot to the face that won't mess up you zones, than i would do it.
    though i would put this out there

* what i mean by bending over is that in the course of yout tecq you are making the person bend,so take it from there
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks

Default Re: roundhouse to the face

I use the roundhouse kick to the face only sporadically in point fighting (just to change things up a bit), but virtually never in continuous or full-contact matches. I much prefer to use roundhouse kicks to the mid-section and side kicks to the ribs. Lower kicks allow me to more quickly utilize follow-up hand strikes, and do not leave me as vulnerable during their execution.

As for EPAK techniques with high roundhouse kicks...

Swinging Pendulum is often taught for a high roundhouse kick aimed at your face. Instead of stepping in and taking most of the force of the kick with your universal block, you step up the circle to 4:30. Stepping off angle puts you past the apex of the circle where most of the power is. The universal block is a positioning block rather than a striking block.

Also, how does everyone teach the attack in Detour from Doom? I was initially taught the technique for a low roundhouse kick, upon which I move up the line with the downward block and jab to the face. I notice Larry Tatum teaches it for a high roundhouse kick (but, in actuality, it really doesn't matter). I would say the key here is to focus less on the block and more on intercepting the target.

Deceptive Panther is also taught for a double roudhouse kick combination.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I will use the kick to the face. I'll use it in sparring as well. One of my former instructors told me once that "if you can kick high hard all of the time then kicking lower will be that much more devestating". With that in mind I keep stretching on a regular basis (almost every night) to keep up with being able to kick high.

Thanks

I don't like kicking high, just my preference. But I had a guy I was working with who was interested in kicks...he wanted to know about the fancier kicks because he had the mistaken notion that the fancier ones had more power. I demonstrated how a simple rear-cross would generate that extra "omph" he wanted AND get to his opponents head. I stopped at the side of his face of course.

Needless to say, I did this in view of customers and the whiny office lady/wannabe manager got pissed. Im well aware that it wasn't appropriate, but when I go into teacher-mode, I forget where I am and just teach ^_^*

Even tho I no longer work there, I will stick to lower kicks...1) people can't see me doing it when Im working and 2) When sparring, no one looks for them
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Orange Belt
    Thanks

I sometimes use them when we're doing point-fighting and occasionally I'll thow one in during spontaneous defense drills just to keep people guessing but for the most part, the side kick to the ribs is my sparring kick of choice. For SD training I seldom go higher than the groin with any kick.
    The test: "Will this work so that I can use it instinctively in vital combat against an opponent who is determined to prevent me from doing so, and who is striving to eliminate me by fair means or foul?" ~ Col. Rex Applegate

Matt K.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i remember something that Mr parker said,

"i will kick a man to the head,if he's on his hands and knees"

i Beleve thats how it went,(i could be wrong) makes sence to me
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

MJS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lonekimono10
    i remember something that Mr parker said,

"i will kick a man to the head,if he's on his hands and knees"

i Beleve thats how it went,(i could be wrong) makes sence to me
    Right on!!! I'm certainly not going to risk throwing a high kick if I don't have to, considering there are a bunch of targets much lower.

Mike

rmcpeek Guest

I myself prefer low kicks and leg kicks. I don't normally kick to the face at all. I keep up my flexibility and practice high kicks, but I never use them when sparring and would more than likely never use them on the street.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

In a sparring situation, I will occasionally throw a high roundhouse kick to the head. I use a roundhouse because it is the easiest for me to control, and I work it into a combination. Given a "real life" situation, I would not be inclined to use a high roundhouse (or any high kick). Practically speaking the higher the kick the longer it takes to get your foot back on the ground, the longer your foot is in the air the longer you are in a vulnerable situation. When working some techniques from the Brown lists that involve high hook kicks my instructor always, quotes Mr. Planas with "Power to the ground" meaning don't leave your foot up there for the photographers. On a more idiosyncratic note, I generally don't strike to the face/head in a "real life" situation anyway (but that’s off topic).

Just my thoughts

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    In a sparring situation, I will occasionally throw a high roundhouse kick to the head. I use a roundhouse because it is the easiest for me to control, and I work it into a combination. Given a "real life" situation, I would not be inclined to use a high roundhouse (or any high kick). Practically speaking the higher the kick the longer it takes to get your foot back on the ground, the longer your foot is in the air the longer you are in a vulnerable situation. When working some techniques from the Brown lists that involve high hook kicks my instructor always, quotes Mr. Planas with "Power to the ground" meaning don't leave your foot up there for the photographers. On a more idiosyncratic note, I generally don't strike to the face/head in a "real life" situation anyway (but that’s off topic).

Just my thoughts

-Josh
    Hi Josh,

Which techniques were you thinking that involve high hook kicks?

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Not on the Brown list... but Circle of Doom is the only one that comes to mind... I think there may be one or two more, but I am drawing a blank right now.
    Last edited by dubljay; 05-03-2005 at 10:55 AM.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dubljay
    Not on the Brown list... but Circle of Doom is the only one that comes to mind... I think there may be one or two more, but I am drawing a blank right now.
    The stiff leg raise to the opponent's groin should more than bend the opponent over, meaning that the spinning hook kick as you contour the opponent's body doesn't need to be high. That's why you don't have to be a fantastic kicker to do this technique well.

Just my two cents.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    The stiff leg raise to the opponent's groin should more than bend the opponent over, meaning that the spinning hook kick as you contour the opponent's body doesn't need to be high. That's why you don't have to be a fantastic kicker to do this technique well.

Just my two cents.

Jamie Seabrook
    Very true, but I have noticed on some kicks that I (and others I have watched) have a habit of taking their time bringing the kicking leg back down.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I try to always kick High as I can (unless the drill calls for a lower kick) I kick high only for training, if I can develop a strong high kick then my lower kicks well be very dangerous! I would NEVER kick high “out in the street” that’s just for the movies. If you feel that you just have to kick someone in the head, kick’em in the knee first!
    The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I only do it when I am showing off or sparring someone really arrogant.
    Just because you do something one way, does not mean that everyone else does it that way, or that it is even the correct way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seig
    LOL! Great point....there's nothing like giving someone a boot to the head who is arrogant and thinks he is going to tear you apart...I just had to say that.

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I never kick to the face or head. I have much faster moves by either sweeping or simply moving in fast and using a chicken kick.

Lee
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: roundhouse to the face

Quote Originally Posted by Seig

Which, and I don't mean to sound like a baby, but confuses me.....I was at my second sparring class last week...I am advanced white....and the sparring instructor put me with a much higher belt...which happens alot and is okay with me as the higher belts are understood to take it easier on the lower belts....when all the sudden, he kicks me upside my head so hard I literally saw stars. Blew my mind. I know that when you are sparring class, you are subjecting yourself to injury and I'm okay with that....I just thought how crude this guy was...no class. I was not arrogant at all. I will go again, but will refuse to sparr with him again!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I just thought how crude this guy was...no class. I was not arrogant at all. I will go again, but will refuse to sparr with him again!
    You've got to get back on that bike, do spar with him again, just keep your gaurd up. Having an ass in the class like that can actually be a benefit to your training. A guy who you aren't friends with that you think will give you a good "pop" at any time will keep you on your toes and get you into a fight mentality, rather than the friendly sparring that occurs at most schools. He's a tool, use it.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I just thought how crude this guy was...no class. I was not arrogant at all. I will go again, but will refuse to sparr with him again!
    Who was it? I can talk to Mark and let him know not to put the two of you together again.
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links