Thread: Does physical ability limit a student to how far he can go in Kempo?

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Does physical ability limit a student to how far he can go in Kempo?

I was reading a different website where a guy studied Taekwondo for 3 years while in college, but then was in a bad motorcycle accident. He had to discontinue Taekwondo because he injured his back in the accident and could no longer kick to the head or upper body.

After a few years, this guy found a Kempo school and was able to complete his black belt, then to go and advance to 5th degree black belt. His new school did not require kicking to the head or upper body like the old school did.

This story left me with many questions. Can anyone achieve a black belt or even 5th degree black belt if they have a disability or are physically unable to perform certain movements?

Has anyone met people with disabilities who have achieved high ranks? Can a blind person become a black belt, or a person in a wheelchair?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Does physical ability limit a student to how far he can go in Kempo?

In reality why would anyone need to kick as high as the head. Some styles want you to fit art. Many Kenpo/Kempo styles want the art to fit you.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Does physical ability limit a student to how far he can go in Kempo?

I found the website where I originally read the story. It is an interesting story to read-

http://www.mannsmartialarts.com/emann.htm

I think the most interesting part comes at the end. Even though he never achieved a black belt while studying Taekwondo, after his 10+ years of Kempo/Jujitsu study he went back to his original Taekwondo school and the grandmaster awarded him a 3rd degree black belt because of all his experience in Kempo.

Thanks

In most arts, physical disability doesn't limmit how far you can go. But it may limmit what you can do, or how hard you can work the art.

Kenpo is very adaptable, and so is a good art to learn with disabilities. But I know several people in different arts who have gone beyond black and can use what they know, some with seriouse disabilities. There is one TKD fighter (and he IS a fighter) not far from me who I've worked out with. He was in a really bad accident several years ago. Spent a long time in a wheelchair, and more in therapy. He doesn't compete any more, but he is still one tough hombre. He has some anger issues because he remembers what he used to be like, and what he could do then as opposed to now. But there are a lot of martial artists around who'd love to be able to do what he does.

It's case by case. Depends on the person, the instructor, the disability, and the style. Probably in that order, and you could probably drop style off the list for the most part.

My opinion.

Dan C

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

An instructor at my old school was a 4th degree black belt (and climbing) and disabled.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links