Thread: Couple of newbie questions

Seeking The Path Guest

Question Couple of newbie questions

Hi everyone, I've been studying a Chinese style for 4 years but would like to learn Kenpo. I went to visit a Kenpo school last night and it was very exciting. I think the applications of techniques are very practical. And not to sound corny but I get the impression that many people in Kenpo consider each other to be part of one big family. I've been reading as much as I can find about it online and plan to order some Ed Parker books this week. I have 2 questions that I hope someone will answer.

My first question is about Kenpo organizations. Does it matter which Kenpo organization the school belongs to? In other words, would a school belonging to one organization stay closer to Ed Parker's techniques and methods than a school from a different organization?

And second, can someone tell me the difference (if any) between Ed Parker's American Kenpo and Hawaiian Kenpo? Because I found a school that teaches Hawaiian Kenpo, and I went to their website but it didn't really help me. Do they both teach the same techniques?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Couple of newbie questions

First of all, welcome to the forums.

There will be differences between organizations. The main breeds of Kenpo out there can be found here on these forums. Take a look around at the Tracy's forum, the lineages under the Parker forum, and the other styles. If you don't see enough information ask questions there. (More information can aslo be found on the martialtalk.com forums)

I feel the main differences will be in terminology and the structure of the techniques. The basic guiding priciples will be close to the same through out. However, I am by no means an expert in any form of kenpo.

Also you are right in thinking that kenpo is one big family, sometimes there are occasional disputes, but for the most part we try to get along.

Good luck in finding your information, so far you are on the right path it seems.

Again welcome to the forums.

-Josh
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Seeking The Path Guest

Thanks for the reply, Josh. So the main difference in organization is the way the material is taught and the terminology, but it should still be the same techniques right? The school that I visited used to be a part of Larry Tatum's organization (I think it's called the LTKKA) but for some reason they switched to AKKS.

As for the Hawaiian Kenpo school, I wonder if they teach the type of kenpo that Mr. Parker learned before he started his own system? I read that he was from Hawaii so that might be the case.

Ok thanks again and good luck with your training,

Mark

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

The techniques will be different, differnet names and applications, but the concepts and principles should be fairly similar. Some organizations are a bit more developed and sophisticated than others.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

as Josh stated, some things will be slightly different depending on the organization to which a particular instructor belongs. the curriculum may be set up differently(i.e., 32, 24, or 16 technique system) and what the curriculum includes. the best thing to do would be to shop around and see which school teaches what you wish to learn.
    See, all I've gotta do is get loose like I'm fluid, dude, Rollin' up my sleeves on my gi and get into it. You and who, him and them? Line up in a single file. One on one, all for one...end up in a bigger pile. The ambiance of Martial Arts is constant, Nunchucks chuckin' when I step in the mosh pit. Wing Chun dummy getting splintered apart, Escrima sticks whippin' and I'm chipping the bark. What are you? A pink belt? I'll give you a head start. Kumite killin', with the spirit of Ed Parker.

Thanks

Wink Re: Couple of newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking The Path
    And not to sound corny but I get the impression that many people in Kenpo consider each other to be part of one big family.
    My first question is about Kenpo organizations. Does it matter which Kenpo organization the school belongs to? In other words, would a school belonging to one organization stay closer to Ed Parker's techniques and methods than a school from a different organization?
    I think we are all proud of our system, and the work that Mr. Parker put in to create such an awesome style. About the "one big family" thing, since Ed Parker's untimely passing, many people broke ties with each other and formed their own organizations. Some of these were good for Kenpo, others were Ed Parker wannabees who jumped rank so fast it would make your head spin. Some claim that their method of teaching American Kenpo is better than others and "the exact way Mr. Parker taught it." In that sense, there is actually considerable division in American Kenpo.

By the same token, there are many 1st snd 2nd generation black belts out there that are doing a remarkable job bringing Kenpoists back together. Larry Tatum, for example, hosts an annual training camp in Las Vegas that brings Kenpoists from around the globe together to train, hang-out and have fun. Richard "Huk" Planas will teach anyone, regardless of association, and will treat you the same as his own students during seminars. Frank Trejo is the same...great guy, a mountain full of knowledge, and non-political. While they all move differently, and while variations in how they teach techniques do exist, they can all make the techniques work for them, and that's what counts. Remember the techniques are ideas not rules.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
    www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

well i think that what you fine on your kenpo trek is what you will fine,
    Mr Parker taught with words, you will understand later,
    but you have got alot of GREAT KENPO PEOPLE IN HERE to help.
    and what Mr Seabrook said, well thats pertty much dead on.
    ( i knew that there was something about him that i liked)

ok 1st lesson front horse ,with arms by your side(chamber) palms up
    on your hips, now Star Block,i'll let someone else take over,

PS stay in the horse not to wide
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lonekimono10
    and what Mr Seabrook said, well thats pertty much dead on.
    ( i knew that there was something about him that i liked)
    Okay, okay, okay....I get the idea....group hug anybody?

Jamie Seabrook

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    Okay, okay, okay....I get the idea....group hug anybody?

Jamie Seabrook
    i, i, just need understanding (waaaa)
    and i needed that hug, wait hug?? lets see strikeing serperts head,
    capture twigs, and let's see bear and the ram, no ram and the bear,
    oh forget it just give me a beer,, i know it's not from a hug, just messing, but see how everything has something to do with kenpo.
    ok now do the rest of star block for thr guy
    " Resolve to be tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,tolerant with the weak and wrong..... Because sometime in your life you will have been all of these"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lonekimono10
    i, i, just need understanding (waaaa)
    and i needed that hug, wait hug?? lets see strikeing serperts head,
    capture twigs, and let's see bear and the ram, no ram and the bear,
    oh forget it just give me a beer,, i know it's not from a hug, just messing, but see how everything has something to do with kenpo.
    ok now do the rest of star block for thr guy
    Only in kenpo would the hugs be violent
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu
    Only in kenpo would the hugs be violent
    Too true!
    ..also: NO pats on the back!!
    Sword & Hammer is just to quick and NASTY.

Your Brother
    John
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ((if you use "FaceBook", look me up there by name))
    "Striving for success without hard work is like trying to harvest where you haven't planted"
    ~ David Bly

Thanks

...and that is exactly why youre supposed to LOOK before executing the Sword and Hammer ;D
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Couple of newbie questions

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    While they all move differently, and while variations in how they teach techniques do exist, they can all make the techniques work for them, and that's what counts. Remember the techniques are ideas not rules.
    The truly educated never graduate.
    "To understand the heart & mind of a person, look not at what they have already achieved, but what they aspire to do." -Kahlil Gibran

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links