Thread: Does size matter? Of the school, that is

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Does size matter? Of the school, that is

If someone hopes to teach Kenpo some day, do you think they at a big disadvantage if they were brought through the ranks in a small school providing the teacher had a good reputation?

I'm largely just curious...the question came to mind after getting in to a long discussion with a friend about the advantages and disadvantages of large vs. small schools...and it's a question that has kind of stuck in my head ever since

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Does size matter? Of the school, that is

I don't think the size of the school is as important as the quality of the instruction. I have ran both, a school of over 160 mmbers and a school of only 20ys tried my best to guarantee every person got the best instruction possible. The question comes down to how many people can the instructor teach comfortable and effectively at one time.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    I don't think the size of the school is as important as the quality of the instruction. I have ran both, a school of over 160 mmbers and a school of only 20ys tried my best to guarantee every person got the best instruction possible. The question comes down to how many people can the instructor teach comfortable and effectively at one time.
    I agree. I have trained in both small and large schools. It all comes down to the quality of the instruction. Being able to manage the school (regardless of size) is paramount. Large schools often need several instructors and to ensure that ALL of the instructors are qualified and capable of teaching well can be a challenge.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

I have to go with Rob and Ceicei, to a point. It's the instruction you get, and what you put into it, that determines what you get out of it.

If you are in a small school, and want the exposure to more students and experience, try visiting other schools as often as possible. A larger school in your association would be ideal.

If you want the advantage of a small class environment, but are in a large school, try getting a few like minded and dedicated students together and arrange semiprivate lessons on a regular basis.

Looking at other instructors, their style of teaching and their methods, and their mistakes, will also improve your ability to teach. Tactical and technical proficiency are only a part of the necessary skills to teach.

I always have to add a disclaimer when I talk about teaching. I've never taught martial arts on a regular basis. I have taught other disciplines, some similar in nature.

Dan C

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post
    I have to go with Rob and Ceicei, to a point. It's the instruction you get, and what you put into it, that determines what you get out of it.

If you are in a small school, and want the exposure to more students and experience, try visiting other schools as often as possible. A larger school in your association would be ideal.

If you want the advantage of a small class environment, but are in a large school, try getting a few like minded and dedicated students together and arrange semiprivate lessons on a regular basis.

Looking at other instructors, their style of teaching and their methods, and their mistakes, will also improve your ability to teach. Tactical and technical proficiency are only a part of the necessary skills to teach.

I always have to add a disclaimer when I talk about teaching. I've never taught martial arts on a regular basis. I have taught other disciplines, some similar in nature.

Dan C
    Excellent advice, and your suggestions will work with martial arts. Thank you for bringing these points up.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan View Post

Dan C
    Dan, wise as always. I've been to large and small schools too and it doesn't make any difference. You can make it work no matter the size of the school if you can get the good instruction you need.

If you are from a small school, go to seminars and camps. That way you get plenty of exposure. If you're in a large school, go to seminars and camps and get plenty of exposure. lol.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I believe a small school is better. I want as much of my Sensi's instruction and guidance as possible. I would rather have a class of 12 than be in a class of 40. I've done both, and in the class of 40 you are lucky to have the Sensi correct you once and move on to the next student very quickly. In the class of 12, I've had the Sensi correct me and then watch and watch and watch. You get more of the philosophy and explinations too, more 1 on 1 time. I think small schools make students much better at Kempo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kempo91 View Post
    I believe a small school is better. I want as much of my Sensi's instruction and guidance as possible. I would rather have a class of 12 than be in a class of 40. I've done both, and in the class of 40 you are lucky to have the Sensi correct you once and move on to the next student very quickly. In the class of 12, I've had the Sensi correct me and then watch and watch and watch. You get more of the philosophy and explinations too, more 1 on 1 time. I think small schools make students much better at Kempo.

I hear ya. I've never been in a class of 40. It seems there would be several assistants if that were the case. It would be very difficult for one instructor to handle that many students alone.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links