View Poll Results: Do your kids take Kenpo??

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes my kid(s) take Kenpo

24 61.54%
  • No my kid(s) don't take Kenpo

10 25.64%
  • Yes some of my kids take Kenpo

5 12.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do your kids take Kenpo??

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: Do your kids take Kenpo??

My son takes classes at the same school as I attend and teach at. He is only 5 so they are only learning forms and sets and some basic arnis work. Kenpo self defence techniques aren't taught to the young ones, a good decision I think. I have only taugh his class once and didn't work with his group within the class.

Thanks

My kids do not take Kenpo, but it's amazing what they pick up by watching it.
    There is nothing so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength.
    Unquestionably man has his will - but woman has her way! - Bruce Lee

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Hope ya'll don't mind me bringing this one up again...

I've got four kids (two sets of twins) who are 21, and 18. Dad taught them all self defense from the time they were little.

My oldest son still lives at home, but his twin sister moved out about a year ago. Over this last summer, my oldest son and one of my younger set got interested in Bushidokan karate at a nearby dojo, and the three of us began going. My other youngest went for a short time too, but didn't have the same interest in it.

Now my oldest is currently working two jobs, and so he just doesn't have the time to attend any kind of classes, but my youngest is still with me doing kenpo.

We both are learning from the same teacher, but given my background from before I'm also teaching him at the same time. As far as being blamed...I thought that was included in ANY activity I do with my kids?

Great thread, btw.

Thanks

My son (now 12) does Kenpo also, and honestly, he remembers a lot of the techniques and kata better than many adults. My daughter will do some group classes once in a while, but her thing is gymnastics, and she really enjoys that.

Thanks

My daughter, Morgan, will be 5 in June and has been doing Kenpo Karate with me for a whole year now. She knows Blocking Set 1 and Short Form 1 very well.

I am very proud of her.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks

Both of my kids started at our new school about a month and a half ago.

I've very pleased that my (almost 10 yrs. old) daughter seem to have some natural ability. Since we did not find that in any other physical activity, I am most relieved/pleased. My six year old boy seem to enjoy it too.

It gives him an excuse to hit stuff, which he seems to enjoy. He has always had some natural athletic ability, but his overwhelming laziness has impeded his progress previously. (He use to sit down during his soccer games -- on the field -- during play.)

It's nice to have them in class and to see their excitement about it. For them, it's a contest for who can earn the most stripes the quickest.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My 2 boys ages 5 and 8 are going on their 3rd month of Kenpo in Amy and Tara's class. They enjoy it but sometimes I have to give them a big push out the door to go. I tried to teach them some things at home but it did not work out well, they pay more attention when they are in a real class. They do like to roll with me at home and thats a lot of fun.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Yes, both my daughters take Kenpo at Amerikick, Dennis Tosten's Franchise.
    The go to the one in Brooklyn

brooklyn.amerikick.com
    Visit our Apparel and housewares site designed by Mohawk Artist Kwiter Greci....Hey thats me!

http://www.urbanskinz.com

NY Transit Martial Arts Club - NYTMAC

nytmac-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Subscribe in the message body

sifuroy is offline In Memory of our Departed Friend
    Thanks

My son takes Kenpo. Started 35 years ago and is a 7th degree now.

I am Most Respectfully,
    sifuroy

KenpoTalk
    Blue Belt
    Thanks

My son is 2 and has not had time in the dojo but we work with him on his kicks, sticks and blocks. I tell my wife that he does not have to do Martial Arts but he will need self defense..
    "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else, YOU are the one who gets burned."
    Buddha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Eastvale (Corona), CA; training out of Los Angeles
    Thanks

1.) Do they study Kenpo? My son started Kenpo at age 8 (he's 10 now)
    2.) Do you teach them? I share sparring strategies with him, but I leave the teaching of Kenpo to his instructors
    3.) Do they attend the same or a different school than you? Different schools, but that's because he lives with mom on the norm. I train at Victory Karate in LA and he trains at Power of One in Long Beach
    4.) Do you practice at home?Yes we practice together when I get him on weekends
    5.) Do you get in trouble when things get knocked over? We are too good to knock things over

I was lucky when I put my son into the class. By 8 years old he had tried tee ball, basketball, gymnastics and soccer, but nothing really caught his attention. He's small for his age but has natural athletic ability. When his mom and I decided that it was time to try karate, it was really a hail mary pass. Little did I know that he was going to take off with it.

He loves classes and is very disciplined with it. He's also started competing at tournaments last year; at his very first tournament he took first place in point sparring, and then at the Long Beach IKC he took first place in Kajukenbo (continuous) sparring. Okay okay, I'm just bragging at this point, but that's a father's prerogative But he's had so much success with Kenpo that it inspired me to start training in Kenpo last July.

He's now an orange belt and I'm a yellow belt, and we competed for the first time in the same tournament together at this year's Compete (my first tournament in 12 years). He took 1st place in his division again, and I took 2nd in my division. What was so great is that he was just as happy to see me get 2nd, as he was happy to get 1st.

My kid and I were already close, so I'm glad that we both have Kenpo to bring us even closer. I don't know how his teenage years are gonna be, but I'm praying that we'll still have this closeness.
    "Your kung fu's no good..."
    *Warrior, Scholar*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 817 Posts

>For those of you that have kids..... (I understand your pain )

>1.) Do they study Kenpo? ---- POLL

Yep.
    I started them both at 4 years old. One is now 28, the other is now 23.

>2.) Do you teach them?

Nope.
    I was “Daddy”.

I gave them one of my better black belts that did relate good with children, Mr. Michael Boyce, forms champion.

>3.) Do they attend the same or a different school than you?

It was my studio.

>4.) Do you practice at home?

Yep.
    They did also.
    20 minutes a day, where we did “play” together.
    It was important to make it “play” at home vs “homework”, which is a negative term.

>5.) Do you get in trouble when things get knocked over?

Nope.
    The wife didn’t care at all about most of the stuff.

She did get pretty pissed when she caught me and the kids throwing knives at the bedroom door.

I had to buy a new door.

She made us go outside with our knives and use a tree round instead. Spoiled all the fun.

My son, when he was 7 years old was attacked by a bully at a cub scouts den meeting.

The first thing I noticed was this little kid (Jack) chasing this big fat kid around the yard. Jack had a knife in each hand (two knifes), and the fat bully was crapping his shorts as he ran for his life.

That sort of upset the wife.

After complementing Jack on his tactics, I did have a talk with him about doing the sort of stuff publicly.

Then I trained him in more socially acceptable behavior, at least at the cub scouts.

©Dr. John M. La Tourrette

13. The Following User Says Thank You to John M. La Tourrette For This Useful Post:

Boyceweb (05-08-2011)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links