View Poll Results: Do your kids take Kenpo??

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes my kid(s) take Kenpo

24 61.54%
  • No my kid(s) don't take Kenpo

10 25.64%
  • Yes some of my kids take Kenpo

5 12.82%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do your kids take Kenpo??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: Do your kids take Kenpo??

I was doing finger set the other night while watching TV. My daughter (4 years old) was standing behind me trying to do what daddy was doing. It was really cute. I could see her in a mirror. She takes a big interest in doing "Daddy's Kenpo". Hope that stays the same.

Your Brother
    John

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brother John
    I was doing finger set the other night while watching TV. My daughter (4 years old) was standing behind me trying to do what daddy was doing. It was really cute. I could see her in a mirror. She takes a big interest in doing "Daddy's Kenpo". Hope that stays the same.

Your Brother
    John
    Thats cool, its funny what our kids come out with. lol

Rookie Guest

Talking Re: Do your kids take Kenpo??

All of my kids are in Kenpo as well as my wife.

Here is the curve I teach my youngest the basics and my older ones go to another studio.

My youngest who is 6 months old I do star block with his arms every night.

My 4 year old knows starblocks short 1 and delayed sword.

My 3 year old knows starblocks and short 1

my 14 year old is in another School as well as my 16 year old. We compare notes but I don't want any one saying she got her belt because of her daddy. But when I am asked to sit their test they hate life. And yes the 4 oldest are all girls. now you know why they take Kenpo and I am pulling my hair out.

V/R

Rick
    Last edited by Rookie; 05-19-2005 at 04:54 PM.

Thanks

Just wanted to say I’m new here and to Kenpo but felt compelled to post on this thread. I started American kenpo about a month ago, when I come home from class my youngest daughter (she’s 4) wants me to show her what I learned that day and she picks it up with amazing quickness. My oldest daughter (she’s 12) has no interest at all in any form of martial arts.

Here is where I am a little torn, I want to put my youngest in martial arts classes as I know it will be a good thing for her. With that said my kenpo school charges $90.00 per month for her age group. At the daycare where she goes they offer TKD classes for only 30.00 per month. I met with the instructor, he seems very nice and he knows his style well. Again with that said I took TKD off and on for years as a kid mostly skipped the classes and showed up on sparing night. I respect all martial arts but TKD is not my first choice. But for the money, and with my daughter only being 4 years old how much harm can TKD do. I plan to bring her to my kenpo school as she gets older.

I guess I just wanted to put this out for opinions, see what some of the more experienced opinions are on this thought

Rookie Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Just wanted to say I’m new here and to Kenpo but felt compelled to post on this thread. I started American kenpo about a month ago, when I come home from class my youngest daughter (she’s 4) wants me to show her what I learned that day and she picks it up with amazing quickness. My oldest daughter (she’s 12) has no interest at all in any form of martial arts.

Here is where I am a little torn, I want to put my youngest in martial arts classes as I know it will be a good thing for her. With that said my kenpo school charges $90.00 per month for her age group. At the daycare where she goes they offer TKD classes for only 30.00 per month. I met with the instructor, he seems very nice and he knows his style well. Again with that said I took TKD off and on for years as a kid mostly skipped the classes and showed up on sparing night. I respect all martial arts but TKD is not my first choice. But for the money, and with my daughter only being 4 years old how much harm can TKD do. I plan to bring her to my kenpo school as she gets older.

I guess I just wanted to put this out for opinions, see what some of the more experienced opinions are on this thought
    I think TKD for children is a good thing especially when you comparre those prices. With that being said when they reach 12 to 13 years old I would definately switch arts but that is because I am partial to Kenpo. It is my opinon that as long as they are in a Martial Art at that age it really doesn't matter. They are getting the basics and discipline.

V/R

Rick

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie
    With that being said when they reach 12 to 13 years old I would definately switch arts but that is because I am partial to Kenpo.
    HA! HA! HA!
    God Bless You, If only I had that much influence over my teenager (see turned 14 since my earlier post and she knows everything!! ).

2004Hemi,
    Children are easily influenced at an early age, so don't think in terms of $30, $90 or $0 (teaching her at home), think in terms of making the best decision possible for your daughter, while you still have control over the situation.

As I said in my earlier post:
    I know we want to control the game, but actually we're only spectators
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Good morning,

I have a 15 year old son. Until this year his mother had a problem with him learning any Martial Arts. Up to now he was only taught a few simple self-defense techniques.

This year I started working with him (divorce is sometimes a good thing). As a TAI Kung Fu instructor, I have started with the Kenpo foundation. He has quickly developed the love for the arts that I have. I am also giving him some Judo, Jujitsu, Grappling, Escrima and we just started chucks and short staff. Basic TAI stuff.

I really didn't realize how much I missed it.

He recently asked me if we could open a school. His friends are all asking if they can get leasons. Because so many people in our area have studied Kenpo at one time or another and because all but one Kenpo School has closed (it is not Parker style), I am considering it.

Right now I am teaching three people in my back yard. Word seems to be out because I keep getting calls. But we will see.

As of this week no broke windows, TVs or furniture. Even though my son keeps bringing out the chucks to practice and con me into teaching him something new.

As for the little ones, if you are not working with them, start. If you don't, you will regret it when they get older!! If you love the arts, they will want to learn and will have a hard time undrstanding why you didn't include them when they get older!!

Pete

Lee
    KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My kids are what got me started....they looked like they were having so much fun with it. My daughter (10) is very serious about it...my son (9) loves the techniques. We practice several times a week together...we are all at the same belt level, so we know alot of the same moves. They teach me what they have learned that I don't know, but I won't teach them...I'm afraid to teach them stuff they are not ready for yet as I am in the adult class. But we practice techniques outside...will change when the snow falls <brrrrrr>....we practice kata's inside. I am so glad that I am doing this with them as opposed to just dropping them off and not being involved. We celebrate belt tests with a private party...cake decorated with the belt we earned and icecream...

Thanks

Her kids are very good. Her daughter is VERY aggressive with it
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

kajukenpo_grl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    1.) Do they study Kenpo? Yes
    2.) Do you teach them? No
    3.) Do they attend the same or a different school than you? Same
    4.) Do you practice at home? Sometimes
    5.) Do you get in trouble when things get knocked over? Of course.

I have an 8 year old daughter that has been training in kenpo for almost 2 years. She loves it! She just tested for her hachi kyu (orange belt) and finds out tonight (monday july 25th) if she passed. She is sooo excited. It was a great test. We got to test together because we were the only 2 in class that were qualified for our next ranks. So it was pretty cool for us both being the only 2 on the mat with our instructors.
    I, myself, do not teach her. Although, if showing her self defense and techniques not required by her rank is considered teaching, i guess i do teach her a little here and there. I try to keep her mind open to learning everything and not just what she needs to know for a test.
    Yes we both attend the same school and have the privledge of the same instructors.
    Yes we practice each night for an hour at home. When i bought our house, i remodeled our basement into a "mini dojo" in which we use for group workouts (about 5-6 people) and 2 sparring rings and for our personal training area.
    Actually it's kind of hard to say anything to my daughter about knocking something over when she is practicing at home, especially when she see's me doing it too. lol
    it's fun that we train together! Well, except for the fact that I cant walk around a corner without getting tagged with a roundhouse in my gut lol. Its all in good fun!
    kk_girl

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

I have a three year old and she takes lessons not really kenpo to young

my seven year old does the youth program 12 tech. and the short form per belt
    he is a blue belt

Ceicei is offline Knowledge Seeker
    Thanks

My two sons (now 12 and 10) started kenpo in 2002 and they still love training. My daughter (5) just barely started kenpo class this week on a trial basis. She has practiced at home with her brothers during the past few years. We'll see if her interest holds in a dojo setting. My youngest (3 year old) is not in kenpo, but hopefully she will be interested when she is old enough.

- Ceicei
    Studying martial arts is for life, not for the color of the belt.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Lets revisit this thread.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I don't have children of my own, but many of my girlfriends have asked for information about teaching children Kenpo. I know at least one of my god-daughters may be beginning sometime this spring. I look forward to it.
    "Second chances they don't never matter, people never change
    Once a whore you're nothing more i'm sorry that'll never change
    And about forgiveness, we're both supposed to have exchanged
    I'm sorry honey, but i'm passing up, now look this way...*" --Paramore "Misery Business"

(*this is where a punch would be landed)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

The general rule of thumb that we follow is "not before 7." But, if/when I have my own kids... they'll know how to execute "Five Swords" about the time they learn to walk! That is if I have anything to say about it anyway. LOL.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

.) Do they study Kenpo? ---- POLL - 3 of my 5 children take Kenpo

2.) Do you teach them? No but I do review with them when they ask.
    4.) Do you practice at home?Where else?
    5.) Do you get in trouble when things get knocked over?Of course but my wife is pretty used to the rough housing by now. She has 2 rules 1)Not in the Kitchen. 2)Not in line at the Grocery store. We have found that sticky hand training and locks make good grocery line activity when not done too enthusiastically.

Jeff

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

My daughter started first and is a higher belt rank then me. Sometimes she'll review techniques with me and corrects me. I thinks she gets frustrated with me. Oh well

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: Do your kids take Kenpo??

I have several amusing anecdotes regarding this query.

My daughters grew up around the school, from the time there still sat in the little Human Luggage carriers.

Their girls mother, (mostly to spite me) decided to take the girls to a local McDojo. The youngest age 6 at the time couldn't wait to report to daddy.

"Daddy ! You wouldn't believe what they were doing! The guy who ran the school showed us some of his Advanced Katas and they weren't as good as your beginning forms! They had terrible form and no power. Their stances were weak. We told mommy we'd rather just do gymnastics or dance or anything but that, until we can study with you full time."

(where do they learn these things?)

I love my girls. lol
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler View Post
    The general rule of thumb that we follow is "not before 7." But, if/when I have my own kids... they'll know how to execute "Five Swords" about the time they learn to walk! That is if I have anything to say about it anyway. LOL.

LOL I love it. Both my girls, now 6 and 13 can do 5 swords
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

1.) Do they study Kenpo? Absolutely!

2.) Do you teach them? No way. Hard enough keeping up.
    4.) Do you practice at home? Constantly
    5.) Do you get in trouble when things get knocked over? Knock things over?
    Hands on Healer

"If you can not be King be a healer."

"The hands of the King are the hands of a healer"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links