Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Spinning Kicks

  1. #1
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Spinning Kicks

    Hey all!

    I'm currently trying to get better at the spinning kicks on our Green card. They are Spinning Crescent and Spinning Hooking Heel. I also want to sharpen up my spinning kicks in general. Any suggestions? I'm practicing them low now and figure as I get better the height will come.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    When working the raw mechanics of a spin start off with pointing your heel of the support leg directly at your target. The next thing to remember is to stay tight until it is time to execute the kick. Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    London, ON
    Posts
    1,601
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 209 Times in 134 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    Good points Rob.

    It also telegraphs the kick, and an aggressive fighter will be all over you when your back is turned for that split moment.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    6,026
    Thanks
    1,199
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    When working the raw mechanics of a spin start off with pointing your heel of the support leg directly at your target. The next thing to remember is to stay tight until it is time to execute the kick. Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    ...yeah, what he said!
    Another little tid-bit: Try not to allow your head to spin with your body. Get your head around and focused on the target prior to executing the spin kick. You see dancers do it all the time when they "spin". It helps keep you from getting dizzy and loosing your balance as well as helps with actually hitting the target.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

  5. #5
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Thanks for all the great tips! I will try them out soon.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hoth
    Posts
    2,211
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked 81 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    I second CC's Dancer tip!
    Susan A. Spann

    Something Here Coming Soon

    Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )



  7. #7
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Talking Re: Spinning Kicks

    Class went well last night and even though I still need to spend much more time practicing, I can see what you mean. The guaging of the foot definitely makes the spin easier and the head moving first helps alot too. Staying tight makes keeping balanced easier. Do you practice this more in the air or on the bag?

    Thanks again

  8. #8
    ronin6's Avatar
    ronin6 is offline
    KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oxford, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    723
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 46 Times in 44 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    I second that. Great point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    When working the raw mechanics of a spin start off with pointing your heel of the support leg directly at your target. The next thing to remember is to stay tight until it is time to execute the kick. Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Learn your spin kicks in the air, and then start on the bag or pads. Go extra slow when starting to strike objects so that you know you are striking with the correct weapon of the foot.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  10. #10
    ltrossbach's Avatar
    ltrossbach is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    When I used to teach this kick, you can break it down into a few small chunks.


    1) Pivot on the front ball of the foot so your heal is facing the opponent and toes facing away. (everyone is right on )

    2) Turn and look over your back shoulder to look at the bad guy, or yourself the mirror. As you do this, your back leg almost comes in a cat stance. Your weight is on the supporting leg, your kicking leg is ready to go.

    3) Execute the kick(either one) through your opponents face (well wherever you can reach), and you should land as you started.


    This break down really helps with balance, and takes the "spin" somewhat out of the picture until you are comfortable with turning and looking. Once you are decent with the three steps... loose step 2 so that 2 and 3 become one motion and you get some spin.. then make it all one motion with full spin.

    Now for the good stuff... the difference in throwing a spin hook VS a crescent. With the crescent.. it is most helpful to stay as upright as possible and swing your leg from your opponents shoulder to shoulder (therefore going completely through the head.)

    For hook kicks (which are related to side kicks in terms of how it uses your hips and your body position) you should lean back a little for counter balance and to get your hip into play. When you turn and look.... imagine throwing a side kick at the corner of the room (or the first shoulder of your opponent) and then "hook" your leg through so that you end in a round house ISH position before putting it back down. As you get better the side kick disappears and you are simply snapping that leg through their face... or leg or whatever. When you throw a hook kick.. think of being able to kick a glass off of a table so that way your kicking leg is sweeping through the horizon, and not making funny V or ^ shapes in the air.




    go get em
    Lee
    MLKKA

    "Getting your first Black Belt is like graduating from kindergarten... you have only just earned the right to learn." ~Me

  11. #11
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Learn your spin kicks in the air, and then start on the bag or pads. Go extra slow when starting to strike objects so that you know you are striking with the correct weapon of the foot.
    Good Point!

    Thanks

  12. #12
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by ltrossbach
    When I used to teach this kick, you can break it down into a few small chunks.


    1) Pivot on the front ball of the foot so your heal is facing the opponent and toes facing away. (everyone is right on )

    2) Turn and look over your back shoulder to look at the bad guy, or yourself the mirror. As you do this, your back leg almost comes in a cat stance. Your weight is on the supporting leg, your kicking leg is ready to go.

    3) Execute the kick(either one) through your opponents face (well wherever you can reach), and you should land as you started.


    This break down really helps with balance, and takes the "spin" somewhat out of the picture until you are comfortable with turning and looking. Once you are decent with the three steps... loose step 2 so that 2 and 3 become one motion and you get some spin.. then make it all one motion with full spin.

    Now for the good stuff... the difference in throwing a spin hook VS a crescent. With the crescent.. it is most helpful to stay as upright as possible and swing your leg from your opponents shoulder to shoulder (therefore going completely through the head.)

    For hook kicks (which are related to side kicks in terms of how it uses your hips and your body position) you should lean back a little for counter balance and to get your hip into play. When you turn and look.... imagine throwing a side kick at the corner of the room (or the first shoulder of your opponent) and then "hook" your leg through so that you end in a round house ISH position before putting it back down. As you get better the side kick disappears and you are simply snapping that leg through their face... or leg or whatever. When you throw a hook kick.. think of being able to kick a glass off of a table so that way your kicking leg is sweeping through the horizon, and not making funny V or ^ shapes in the air.




    go get em
    Thanks for the post. These give great perspective to the different kicks!

  13. #13
    EndlessRising's Avatar
    EndlessRising is offline
    KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    I'll share with you a little secret I use that vastly improved my spinning kicks. See the problem with balancing the spinning kicks is when you first turn your body and face away from the direction you are kicking most people have a tendency to slightly lean their upper body away from where you are trying to kick. This is no good. once you kick you are pretty unstable and have to almost fall backwards to land into a steady stance. If you connect that kick when you're off balance its only gonna disrupt your balance further and you're not gonna get a very effective transfer of energy from your kick to your target. Now the easiest way I have figured out to fix this is to simply drop your weight only a slight bit when you're pivoting in that first step. If you bend your knees at this stage it lowers your center of gravity and forces you to straighten your back and keep your from leaning away from your desired kicking direction. This simple adjustment has severely improved my spinning kicks so I thought I would share the wealth. Go ahead and play with the idea and so what you come up with.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

  14. #14
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Thanks for the input! I'll try this tonight.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    One last thing to remeber is to keep your arms in close to the less wind resistance the better for your balance.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  16. #16
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Thanks again everyone for all your help! I really like that by practicing spin kicks (at least the spinning part) the same, as you come around you can choose to change which kick you're going to perform at the last second. I spoke to one of my instructors and he said the same things you all did about keeping tucked for a quicker spin and better balance. We have played with the spinning back kick for quite some time, but as different parts, you know 1,2,3 etc. so now putting it into fluid motion is my goal. Well another step in the journey has begun...


    Salute

  17. #17
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    We were working the bag with spinning hooking heels last night and it brought this thread to mind. Thanks again for all the tips. I never thought I'd say this but i really enjoy these now!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sarnia, ON, Canada
    Posts
    7,774
    Thanks
    301
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    A well executed spin kick always feels awesome.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,361
    Thanks
    841
    Thanked 480 Times in 291 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Good points Rob.

    It also telegraphs the kick, and an aggressive fighter will be all over you when your back is turned for that split moment.
    Yep, if you execute at the last second they may anticipate a back kick instead. Much harder to see.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

  20. #20
    John Brewer's Avatar
    John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,942
    Thanks
    1,381
    Thanked 421 Times in 330 Posts

    Default Re: Spinning Kicks

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    A well executed spin kick always feels awesome.
    LOL

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Check Kicks
    By Rob Broad in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
  2. Basics - Kicks
    By michaeledward in forum Parkers Kenpo (EPAK) - General
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-24-2006, 10:32 PM
  3. Round House Kicks
    By Miyu in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 02:24 AM
  4. Side Kicks
    By Miyu in forum Kenpo General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-17-2006, 12:10 PM
  5. Buckles, Sweeps, and Kicks
    By Kenpo Yahoo in forum Parker - Mills / AKKI
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM