Thread: Spinning Kicks

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Default Spinning Kicks

Hey all!

I'm currently trying to get better at the spinning kicks on our Green card. They are Spinning Crescent and Spinning Hooking Heel. I also want to sharpen up my spinning kicks in general. Any suggestions? I'm practicing them low now and figure as I get better the height will come.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Spinning Kicks

When working the raw mechanics of a spin start off with pointing your heel of the support leg directly at your target. The next thing to remember is to stay tight until it is time to execute the kick. Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad
    Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    Good points Rob.

It also telegraphs the kick, and an aggressive fighter will be all over you when your back is turned for that split moment.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

When working the raw mechanics of a spin start off with pointing your heel of the support leg directly at your target. The next thing to remember is to stay tight until it is time to execute the kick. Too many people want to open up too soon when executing a spin kick, and it throws off their balance and slows them down.
    ...yeah, what he said!
    Another little tid-bit: Try not to allow your head to spin with your body. Get your head around and focused on the target prior to executing the spin kick. You see dancers do it all the time when they "spin". It helps keep you from getting dizzy and loosing your balance as well as helps with actually hitting the target.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Thanks for all the great tips! I will try them out soon.

Thanks

I second CC's Dancer tip!
    Susan A. Spann

Something Here Coming Soon

Member of the Estrogen Mafia and Proud Owner of THIS Thread (FOREVER D:< )

Thanks

Talking Re: Spinning Kicks

Class went well last night and even though I still need to spend much more time practicing, I can see what you mean. The guaging of the foot definitely makes the spin easier and the head moving first helps alot too. Staying tight makes keeping balanced easier. Do you practice this more in the air or on the bag?

Thanks again

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I second that. Great point.

"Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Learn your spin kicks in the air, and then start on the bag or pads. Go extra slow when starting to strike objects so that you know you are striking with the correct weapon of the foot.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

When I used to teach this kick, you can break it down into a few small chunks.

1) Pivot on the front ball of the foot so your heal is facing the opponent and toes facing away. (everyone is right on )

2) Turn and look over your back shoulder to look at the bad guy, or yourself the mirror. As you do this, your back leg almost comes in a cat stance. Your weight is on the supporting leg, your kicking leg is ready to go.

3) Execute the kick(either one) through your opponents face (well wherever you can reach), and you should land as you started.

This break down really helps with balance, and takes the "spin" somewhat out of the picture until you are comfortable with turning and looking. Once you are decent with the three steps... loose step 2 so that 2 and 3 become one motion and you get some spin.. then make it all one motion with full spin.

Now for the good stuff... the difference in throwing a spin hook VS a crescent. With the crescent.. it is most helpful to stay as upright as possible and swing your leg from your opponents shoulder to shoulder (therefore going completely through the head.)

For hook kicks (which are related to side kicks in terms of how it uses your hips and your body position) you should lean back a little for counter balance and to get your hip into play. When you turn and look.... imagine throwing a side kick at the corner of the room (or the first shoulder of your opponent) and then "hook" your leg through so that you end in a round house ISH position before putting it back down. As you get better the side kick disappears and you are simply snapping that leg through their face... or leg or whatever. When you throw a hook kick.. think of being able to kick a glass off of a table so that way your kicking leg is sweeping through the horizon, and not making funny V or ^ shapes in the air.

go get em
    Lee
    MLKKA

"Getting your first Black Belt is like graduating from kindergarten... you have only just earned the right to learn." ~Me

Thanks

Learn your spin kicks in the air, and then start on the bag or pads. Go extra slow when starting to strike objects so that you know you are striking with the correct weapon of the foot.
    Good Point!

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ltrossbach
    When I used to teach this kick, you can break it down into a few small chunks.

1) Pivot on the front ball of the foot so your heal is facing the opponent and toes facing away. (everyone is right on )

2) Turn and look over your back shoulder to look at the bad guy, or yourself the mirror. As you do this, your back leg almost comes in a cat stance. Your weight is on the supporting leg, your kicking leg is ready to go.

3) Execute the kick(either one) through your opponents face (well wherever you can reach), and you should land as you started.

This break down really helps with balance, and takes the "spin" somewhat out of the picture until you are comfortable with turning and looking. Once you are decent with the three steps... loose step 2 so that 2 and 3 become one motion and you get some spin.. then make it all one motion with full spin.

Now for the good stuff... the difference in throwing a spin hook VS a crescent. With the crescent.. it is most helpful to stay as upright as possible and swing your leg from your opponents shoulder to shoulder (therefore going completely through the head.)

For hook kicks (which are related to side kicks in terms of how it uses your hips and your body position) you should lean back a little for counter balance and to get your hip into play. When you turn and look.... imagine throwing a side kick at the corner of the room (or the first shoulder of your opponent) and then "hook" your leg through so that you end in a round house ISH position before putting it back down. As you get better the side kick disappears and you are simply snapping that leg through their face... or leg or whatever. When you throw a hook kick.. think of being able to kick a glass off of a table so that way your kicking leg is sweeping through the horizon, and not making funny V or ^ shapes in the air.

go get em
    Thanks for the post. These give great perspective to the different kicks!

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

I'll share with you a little secret I use that vastly improved my spinning kicks. See the problem with balancing the spinning kicks is when you first turn your body and face away from the direction you are kicking most people have a tendency to slightly lean their upper body away from where you are trying to kick. This is no good. once you kick you are pretty unstable and have to almost fall backwards to land into a steady stance. If you connect that kick when you're off balance its only gonna disrupt your balance further and you're not gonna get a very effective transfer of energy from your kick to your target. Now the easiest way I have figured out to fix this is to simply drop your weight only a slight bit when you're pivoting in that first step. If you bend your knees at this stage it lowers your center of gravity and forces you to straighten your back and keep your from leaning away from your desired kicking direction. This simple adjustment has severely improved my spinning kicks so I thought I would share the wealth. Go ahead and play with the idea and so what you come up with.
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

Thanks

Thanks for the input! I'll try this tonight.

Thanks

One last thing to remeber is to keep your arms in close to the less wind resistance the better for your balance.

Thanks

Thanks again everyone for all your help! I really like that by practicing spin kicks (at least the spinning part) the same, as you come around you can choose to change which kick you're going to perform at the last second. I spoke to one of my instructors and he said the same things you all did about keeping tucked for a quicker spin and better balance. We have played with the spinning back kick for quite some time, but as different parts, you know 1,2,3 etc. so now putting it into fluid motion is my goal. Well another step in the journey has begun...

Salute

Thanks

We were working the bag with spinning hooking heels last night and it brought this thread to mind. Thanks again for all the tips. I never thought I'd say this but i really enjoy these now!

Thanks

A well executed spin kick always feels awesome.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
    Good points Rob.

It also telegraphs the kick, and an aggressive fighter will be all over you when your back is turned for that split moment.
    Yep, if you execute at the last second they may anticipate a back kick instead. Much harder to see.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Broad View Post
    A well executed spin kick always feels awesome.
    LOL

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links