Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met Jeff Speakman last night

Thanks

Default Met Jeff Speakman last night

Hi.

Cool thing that happened last night. I was invited to a meet and greet at a new school that's about 40min. away. Tara (Shodan) and I wanted to meet them to see if they were people we wanted to work out with. (Very nice people. Hi Fred!)

Unexpectedly, Jeff Speakman showed up! After the presentation, he worked out with me and Tara for about 2 1/2 hrs. He showed us some really cool knife techniques and some two-man drills that were really fun. My head is full. Plus, he's a heck of a nice guy. I enjoyed him a lot.

Tara and I now have some new drills to work tonight and I have to say that I was impressed with the 5.0 thing he's doing.

I met him with no pre-conceived notions (I confess that I haven't even seen Perfect Weapon yet), so my opinion of him and what he is doing wasn't swayed by stories or anything else. I haven't heard much about him, so when I met him I was very pleased.

Normally I'm not very good at grappling, but he showed Tara and I some cool things, I was able to get it pretty darn easily. And he talked about some changes he'd made to some of the techniques and the ones he mentioned we ones that were not my faves, so that caught my attention too.

All in all, a really great experience. He was very generous with his time and knowledge and he's a heck of a funny guy. Very personable.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Met Jeff Speakman last night

Very cool.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I second what Amy said!! We went to this thing expecting to just meet some nice new people and maybe not even get to work out- but see what the new studio was all about. We got that and much, much more. Firstly, the two new instructors are great- they are so nice and so very dedicated to helping their students. It is refreshing to find such people so dedicated to the art and so dedicated to helping out students who were let down by a previous bad instructor/studio experience. They were very welcoming and invited us back anytime to work out with them.....which I hope we will get to do fairly often.

As a bonus and unexpected surprise, Jeff Speakman was there along with one of his 3rd degree black belt students. Mr. Speakman was a hoot in person- very funny and both guys were so generous with their knowledge. It was a blast to meet them and get to work out with them. Mr. Speakman was willing to come up to the area (I think he lives 8 hours away) to be there for these guys and the forming of the new studio and to speak with those burned by the previous studio (not Speakman-related)....just out of the blue!! I think had the gym allowed it, he would have been teaching us all night- he genuinely loves what he does.

We all adjourned to the local pizza place afterwards where we had a blast just hanging out. A great time had by all and a very memorable event!!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

To the both of you.

That's just to friggin' cool!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Thank you thank you.

Tara and I had such a great time. We would do that again in a heartbeat. Fred said he'd keep us informed of what's going on at his school and I'm sure that Tara and I will make it a point to go work out with them again and help them with their school if they need it.

Plus, they are good to hit and that's very important in a workout buddy.

And Tara's right; they were very generous with their time to their students. The students and their parents really seemed to appreciate it too.

And the pizza afterwords was a lot of fun.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

That would have been Very cool; I would love to have him autograph my Perfect Weapon DVD
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

You have a dvd of that movie?

I didn't think it was in dvd format.

Thanks

Well it was never (That I know of) released on DVD, but I found it on E Bay. It is a copy that someone dubbed from the VHS tape then printed the cover art on a laser printer. I am still wondering how in the world they got around the Copy Right laws on that one but I am happy to have it on DVD. I have the VHS movie also but I donít have a VCR and canít bring myself to buy one for one video.
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Sounds like and awesome experience.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronin6
    Sounds like and awesome experience.
    It was great to meet a kenpoists who was totally happy to share his knowledge and experience just because he liked to share. I've known others like that and it always pleases me to see.

I'm interested to learn more about his 5.0. From what I've seen, it looks really good.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

That's what struck me too- the guy was totally willing to share and work on what we wanted for how long we wanted. I think it says a lot about him that he came up here for a minor event and without pay too. Very nice man. I hope he ends up moving here so we can train more with him!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    It was great to meet a kenpoists who was totally happy to share his knowledge and experience just because he liked to share. I've known others like that and it always pleases me to see.

I'm interested to learn more about his 5.0. From what I've seen, it looks really good.

--Amy
    YOU LUCKY DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooo jealous! LOL. What an awesome kenpo story you have. Did you get any pix? That is soooo cool!

I can't believe you haven't seen "The Perfect Weapon." You can only get dubbed copies on DVD, but regardless of the format you need to see it. That movie inspired thousands of people to take up Kenpo.

Again, that is too cool. Luckily, it's been my experience that a lot of top-notch kenpoist share their knowledge happily.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Ė Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I can't believe you haven't seen "The Perfect Weapon." You can only get dubbed copies on DVD, but regardless of the format you need to see it. That movie inspired thousands of people to take up Kenpo.

Again, that is too cool. Luckily, it's been my experience that a lot of top-notch kenpoist share their knowledge happily.
    Tara is going to loan it to me (bring it tonight if you come!!) and it's great that you've had such good experiences with other kenpoists.

I didn't let on that I hadn't watched the movie. I didn't want him to feel badly. It was probably good though because then I saw him more as a person and a martial artist, rather than a movie star. And he was a very nice person and a really good martial artist, so it's all good.

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

I am a bit of a newbie. I don't want to sound too unenlightened but what is a 5.0?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Finn
    I am a bit of a newbie. I don't want to sound too unenlightened but what is a 5.0?
    Apparently, when Parker designed American Kenpo, he was up to model 2.0 when he died. Speakman did some upgrades and now he's up to 5.0. I forget what each upgrade consisted of, but this stuff looks interesting.

(I didn't know what it was either until last night, so don't feel bad.)

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

Cool! What an awesome surprise.

Now, go watch Perfect Weapon!
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

That's even better. To share thier knowledge so freely is even better. People like that are sometimes the opposite way. When I was training full time in Aikido, I was at a Seminair and a well know Aikidoka was there, Steven Segal, and he was not the most approcahable person. He just did his thing and left. It refreshing to hear that Mr. Speakman was so willing to share his knowledge and spend time with the students. Kudos to him.

Quote Originally Posted by amylong

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I second that. Well only if you still have a VCR.

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    Cool! What an awesome surprise.

Now, go watch Perfect Weapon!

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Amy,

That is awesome. I had heard that Speakman was a really nice guy but, I never knew anyone that had talked to him firsthand. I admit that makes me a little jealous but, I will get over it. Sounds like you had a blast and learned a lot.

It is my vague understanding that 5.0 addes in a lot more grappling. Is that your impression and what changes did he talk about in which techniques?
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Well it was never (That I know of) released on DVD, but I found it on E Bay. It is a copy that someone dubbed from the VHS tape then printed the cover art on a laser printer. I am still wondering how in the world they got around the Copy Right laws on that one but I am happy to have it on DVD. I have the VHS movie also but I donít have a VCR and canít bring myself to buy one for one video.
    The short answer is HE DIDN'T and what you have there is basically a pirated copy produced for commercial gain.

I've been selling licensed copies of Kill The Golden Goose on VHS, and resisted the temptation to sell DVD dubs of it for that very reason... And I've got DVD dubs of Sevano's Seven and Buckstone County Jail too but won't sell copies of them either...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links