Thread: American Kenpo Techniques

Medina Kenpo Guest

Question American Kenpo Techniques

I study the Tracy's system of Kenpo and don't really know much at all about American Kenpo. My question is, for those of you familiar with both systems, are there many techniques in American Kenpo that are not in the Tracy's Kenpo? For example, Larry Tatum puts out DVD's with belt level techniques. Are there many new techniques between white and black belt that are worth adding to my skill set, or are the moves similar, but with different theories. I love Kenpo and as a black belt, if I can add some valuable techniques to my skill set from American Kenpo then I will. Have any of you done this? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 709 Posts

Default Re: American Kenpo Techniques

[QUOTE=Medina Kenpo]I study the Tracy's system of Kenpo and don't really know much at all about American Kenpo. My question is, for those of you familiar with both systems, are there many techniques in American Kenpo that are not in the Tracy's Kenpo? QUOTE]
    I know a couple of people who went from Tracy's Kenpo to American Kenpo. One is Mr. John Connolly.... on this site, he's "Fastmover". He'd probably be able to give you a wealth of insight.
    Then there's "Seig"...who's also on this forum as.....well......"Seig". He too went from Tracy's to American Kenpo.

Good luck...
    Your Brother
    John

Medina Kenpo Guest

Just to clarify, I am not looking to switch systems (there are no teachers of American Kenpo around me anyway). I am just curious if there are a wealth of new techniques in the American Kenpo system that would improve my skills. Thanks.

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Medina Kenpo
    I study the Tracy's system of Kenpo and don't really know much at all about American Kenpo. My question is, for those of you familiar with both systems, are there many techniques in American Kenpo that are not in the Tracy's Kenpo? For example, Larry Tatum puts out DVD's with belt level techniques. Are there many new techniques between white and black belt that are worth adding to my skill set, or are the moves similar, but with different theories. I love Kenpo and as a black belt, if I can add some valuable techniques to my skill set from American Kenpo then I will. Have any of you done this? Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Hi Medina Kenpo,
    Here is a comparison link: (hope it helps) http://www.kenponet.com/flame/articles/comparison.html

At my Foundation Rank in American Chinese Kenpo Karate (ACKKS), I live in "Ideal Phase" land (however, we do create our own extensions),
    but at your BB level wouldn't it be WAYYY MORE FUN to "Graft Your Own" techniques, based on the principals you know??

or should I think before I type??
    What have I learned from this???

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Smile Re: American Kenpo Techniques

I have the Larry Tatum library. Amazing wealth of knowledge to be sure. Highly rated. The Plannus videos are also great.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Talking Re: American Kenpo Techniques

Medina Kenpo,

To answer your question, yes... I spent time in both the Epak, and Tracy systems. Although I am not a high ranking enthusiast. I believe I can give you some what of an insight. First there are many teks from each system that are virtually the same, but for a few differences. If you went(as someone suggested) to the comparision on the kenponet. I am sure that you have seen this. The biggest difference between the 2 systems. Is actual tek(ie:body dynamics) application. I think that if you picked up some of the more advanced Epak material. You would really improve your kenpo. If nothing else than to experience arriving at a simular point using different approaches. I hope this was somewhat helpful?
    Happy New Year
    1stJohn1:9

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links