Thread: Going back to white again?

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Going back to white again?

Have you been there?

What was it like?

Thanks

Default Re: Going back to white again?

Great! I love being on the low end of the totem pole and still on the rapidly rising end of the learning curve. Your only responsibility is to suck in as much info as possible, it is a fun time.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I started Kenpo after 18 months at TKD (got to Green stripe I think). To be honest I really wasn't experienced enough to be anything other than a true White Belt at Kenpo, everything was new and eye-opening - I think if I started a new art now after 7 years of Kenpo I would at least be able to look at it through slightly more experienced eyes, and ask slightly more intelligent questions =)

Alex

KenpoTalk
    3rd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Well, it was different for me. Since I came from 16 years of Aikido training it was different. I was ranked sandan (3rd degree). I always felt that when I stopped learning that it was time to move on. Where I moved there were no dojos nearby. I continued to train solo and with a few of my students in my home (19x13 dojo in basement of my home) but found that I still wanted more. I felt there were holes in what I had learned and explored them with Aiki-Jitsu training. Then after a serious injury no longer let me train at the level I wanted, I decided to look elsewhere. That is when I began to research and "interview" Kenpo instructors nearby. I settled with EPAK and love my choice. The school (Webster Institute of Karate - Webster, MA), instructor and students all made me feel welcomed from the start. My instructor helps greatly in my assimilation into EPAK.

The belt thing was never an issue. In Aikido we wore white belts until you were shodan (ist degree). The only difference was that you wore a Hakama when you were yudansha (Black Belt ad above). Many persons wore their worn white belt under their Hakama while others wore their black. It was personal preference.

I love starting over. It's very cleansing to me. I love the challenge of overcoming the natural tendencies my body built up and try to learn new ways and possibly incorporate them. I don't do that in class but I do work on that at home.

In all it was a great thing for me. I started in April and two weeks ago tested successfully for my yellow belt. There is a long journey ahead but I look forward to the knowledge I will gain with every class.
    Last edited by ronin6; 07-27-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    "Fear is the true opiate of combat."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur
    Have you been there?

What was it like?
    Personally done it 3 times ... no worries on any of the three. Some other students seemed surprised since you will have a higher skill level than most beginners but its also freeing that there are no expectations! LOL.

As someones Tag line here says so well "A black belt covers 2" of your ass the rest is up to you".

I have to say I 100% agree with that one.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Have you been there?

What was it like?
    I have done it once and found it to be an enjoyable experience. I personally love being exposed to other arts you always take something away from the experience.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

Have you been there?

What was it like?
    Are you starting over?

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Have you been there?
    Yes

What was it like?
    A good humbling experience.

Thanks

Have you been there?
    What was it like?
    Ha! I never left white!

I have started over a few times. Relearning techniques with a new twist or emphasis wasn't a problem. In fact, it was pretty interesting. But sometimes I did have a problem with letting go of old habbits or doinng something differently when I thought another way was better. A good instructor can help if he's willing to show you why the difference, or where you're going with the different method.

Starting over with a little experience under you is a lot more fun than when you first start. It isn't as grueling learning the basics. You catch on a lot faster.

I take it you found a school that fits your work schedule better? Are they a different association, or a completely different branch of Kenpo? Or another system? Whatever, I wish you luck.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

For me, it was as JFarnsworth said- a humbling experience. They never asked me what rank/style I studied previously which I thought was odd and a bit rude......but I had to get over that and see that in this new place- none of that mattered- it was about learning something new. The other thing I had to get over was feeling really inferior. I went from an atmosphere where I was one of the highest ranked and working with adults who respected that....to where I was the lowest rank and working with teens-- all higher belts in the system who pretty much had very little respect for me at all!! Whippersnappers!!

All in all, I'm glad to be back totally in the Kenpo world again, working with adults again and with people who are serious about learning.
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Ihave been there and learned a ton each time. Go in with an open attitude and be willing to re-learn everything and you wil be a much stronger student for it.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I have done it a few times. It may be easier to accept when you are changes major styles of marital arts. Like Kenpo to Judo. But, sometimes it is harder to let go of previous training. You fall into what is comfortable if when you try to let it go.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I agree the worse part is sliping into whats comfortable to you, but if you keep an open mind its not as bad as one would think. Just think of how much more you'll be achiving and all the new knowledge you will be attaining. I'm going to have to say you make it what it is if you go into it with an attitude that your not going to like it chances are your not going to.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    Ha! I never left white!

I have started over a few times. Relearning techniques with a new twist or emphasis wasn't a problem. In fact, it was pretty interesting. But sometimes I did have a problem with letting go of old habbits or doinng something differently when I thought another way was better. A good instructor can help if he's willing to show you why the difference, or where you're going with the different method.

Starting over with a little experience under you is a lot more fun than when you first start. It isn't as grueling learning the basics. You catch on a lot faster.

I take it you found a school that fits your work schedule better? Are they a different association, or a completely different branch of Kenpo? Or another system? Whatever, I wish you luck.
    Thank you!

There have been a lot of folks that have really reached out to me....either they have answered my strings of questions or offered considerations I hadn't thought of or options that I never considered.

But, I've narrowed it down to a very short list. I'm staying in Kenpo, altough I'm flirting a bit with Arnis on the side, that isn't really a factor in my decision.

It is going to be very difficult to say goodbye

Thanks
    Thanked 4,372 Times in 1,426 Posts

Thank you!

There have been a lot of folks that have really reached out to me....either they have answered my strings of questions or offered considerations I hadn't thought of or options that I never considered.

But, I've narrowed it down to a very short list. I'm staying in Kenpo, altough I'm flirting a bit with Arnis on the side, that isn't really a factor in my decision.

It is going to be very difficult to say goodbye
    See? One of the advantages of reincarnationism. No "goodbyes", only "until next time".

I'm not clear on where you're going to, from where? (e/m me if you like). Arnis is an excellent complement to kenpo, as they share some similar underlying concepts. Many kenpoists I know improved their eye-hand and destructions with FMA, and a few FMA'ers had some clean "aha's" with cross-training in kenpo. So, unless all the classes on the east coast are held on the same night...

Stay golden,

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

I'm staying in Kenpo, altough I'm flirting a bit with Arnis on the side,... It is going to be very difficult to say goodbye
    You'll love Arnis! It is a very adaptable system, and I know a lot of schools and systems add it to their carriculum. When you practice it, remember that every move they do is in AK. And watch the axis of your neutral bow. When stick fighting with FMAers, if you don't keep the axis turned out another 45' they'll eat you alive! I was bruised all down my right side 'till I learned that! Have fun- and don't say goodbye, just go back and whup up on your old schoolmates from time to time!

Dan C

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links