Thread: Time Between Ranks

Thanks

Default Time Between Ranks

What do you think is the average (or at least min.) time between ranks?

How long from white to yellow, yellow to orange, etc.

And how long between each black belt stripe?

At once school I went to, there was a min. of one year between each rank, regardless.

For black belt, I was told it was two years between first a second, then at least 3 years between the rest of the stripes.

I thought that was fairly universal, but I've seen some people get stripes in shorter periods.

What do you think?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    For black belt, I was told it was two years between first a second, then at least 3 years between the rest of the stripes.
    Same here.

As far as the other questions go, depends upon the individual.

Thanks

Default Re: Time Between Ranks

I was also told there there's supposed to be at least six months for every rank of brown.

I think I took 4 months with one and seven with another. It seemed pretty fast to me. There's a lot of material in the browns.

I think with most ranks there should be at least six months, but nine months to a year sounds good to me.

It takes at least 4-6 months to just be introduced to the techniques, but then there's a kata or so to learn and just general seasoning.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

I see an average of 4-5 months between ranks. I don't make them wait that long, but it takes them that amount of time to get there.

I've been told that it should take at least a year before they get to 3rd Brown. I don't know if anyone can justify making someone wait that long unless they need that much time to review, and get everything down. I do not review them unless they need the help, but I do keep an eye on them nontheless.

For levels beyond 1st Black, I've been through that myself somewhat. Not waiting the entire time, but I waited years, at any rate.

My question is this; for someone who just made 1st black do you expect them to be competent with all the material to their level to teach, or at least 3rd Brown? I would expect them to season a good while before they could teach up to that level.
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks

I think it should vary per student. The person must "season" in that rank and material until you see them really get it before they move forward.

Black belt ranks have always been 3 years where I have trained but I have seen exceptions to this rule too.

A well known Kenpoist went from 1st to 7th black in 15 years but from what I understand that person is highly skilled and knowledgable. So again there are exceptions to the 3 year rule.

Bottom line is if the instructor feels the student understands the material and has seasoned long enough I think the time in rank is up to the instructor.

My 2 cents.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    I see an average of 4-5 months between ranks. I don't make them wait that long, but it takes them that amount of time to get there.

I've been told that it should take at least a year before they get to 3rd Brown. I don't know if anyone can justify making someone wait that long unless they need that much time to review, and get everything down. I do not review them unless they need the help, but I do keep an eye on them nontheless.

For levels beyond 1st Black, I've been through that myself somewhat. Not waiting the entire time, but I waited years, at any rate.

My question is this; for someone who just made 1st black do you expect them to be competent with all the material to their level to teach, or at least 3rd Brown? I would expect them to season a good while before they could teach up to that level.
    How many techniques do you have per belt at your school? We have 24 and at no more than 2 per week (often 1 per week), that's 3-6 months just to learn them. I review every class some of them because I find that people don't practice enough.

As for teaching, I just got my second, but I have two greens that I've been teaching to go to third brown. I also have been teaching the ext. to some other people. I figure that I can teach it to the best of my ability, then hopefully my instructor will review with them and clean up anything I might've missed.

I'm not good at teaching staff set, for instance, because I'm not that certain about it. I know it, but I don't know all the ins and outs and everything. It's on my list....the ever-growing list.

--Amy

Thanks

For our school it takes 3-4 months for each belt up to green and than 5-7 months for all other belt up to black.

2 years between 1st and 2nd black. Than From 3-5 years up to 5th black and than you are promoted on how much time you put into helping Kenpo go on.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

Thanks

We don't have minimum lengths of time (under black) a person tests when they are ready. But average times run something like: yellow - 2 months, orange -4 months, purple 8 months, blue/green/brown/black each 1 year (with only one rank of brown).

We run a minimum time in of X years for X black, so a 2nd black has to wait a minimum of 3 years for third. This time in grade only goes to 5th, where it is something like 5 years between ranks.

With regard to teaching, as an example I expect a brown belt to be able to teach blue pretty thoroughly. I do NOT expect a 1st black to know all the ins and outs of the 1st black techs, they just learned them and are still figuring out the tweaks.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

KenpoTalk
    Purple Belt
    Thanks

At our school its a minimum of 3 months for colored belts, 6 months for browns, and a minumum of 2 years between 1st degree black 2nd. 2nd to 3rd 3 years, 3rd to 4th 4 years etc...
    "A warrior's ultimate act is to put down his sword"

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Whilst I appreciate the average time frame a student takes to progress from one level to another it would have to be based on the Individual.

As with all learning activities, acquiring skill is a process of time, and the effort that is applied to the time spent training and practicing within a given period.

I find placing time limits on when a student tests or could test, to be far too restrictive, for both student and teacher

As an example, Consider the average Class student, that attends class twice a week for an hour each session, roughly that equates to , only 9 hrs class time per month, say over eight months for an intermediate belt. Purple to Blue, total class time is approximately 72 hrs, giving consideration for a basic style Class format with
    Warm ups, basic’s, forms, review, etc without the inclusion of new material, it certainly chews the hour away pretty quickly,

Even if all of the above “only” took 15 minutes, That’s 45 minutes learning new material at best; still that’s only 54 hrs per belt level in this case Blue Belt, and Im sure we all could see a number of other factors that would reduce this time even further.

I think it would be more than likely half of the time is spent on other aspects of training bring the total time to 36hrs for new material.

I certainly feel that this is not enough teaching time and learning time to have a reasonable level of proficiency for this particular student, unless he was the next Bruce lee. This student didn’t really practice out side of class.

Whilst this is only hypothetical,

Rank can start to look really grim, At times.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    Bottom line is if the instructor feels the student understands the material and has seasoned long enough I think the time in rank is up to the instructor.
    This is how my school has been run. You rank testing is not based on time in but, skill achieved. Everyone learns at a different pace. Minimum requirements aside advancement in rank is only achieved when your instructor says so. I feel that your promotions are based off of competency. If you truly can get the skill and comprehension in under the standard time, great. If not, don't worry about it. It is all about the journey anyways.

Just my .02.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    I think it should vary per student. The person must "season" in that rank and material until you see them really get it before they move forward.

Black belt ranks have always been 3 years where I have trained but I have seen exceptions to this rule too.

A well known Kenpoist went from 1st to 7th black in 15 years but from what I understand that person is highly skilled and knowledgable. So again there are exceptions to the 3 year rule.

My 2 cents.
    I've seen a case like this too. 7th Dan, and he's only 34? so yeah, about 15 yrs to reach from 1st to 7th.

Thanks

at my school its usually 3-4 between white/yellow and yellow/orange.. iv been orange since the end of december. i think he's held us back deliberatly this year, since we've been doing more basics, stick work, and different sets lately (Kicking and Stance arent required in our system, but my instructor knows the value in them).. if things were at their normal pace..

i would have prolly reached purple by may ish.. around my 1 year mark. but i dont mind cos like Katsudo said time to season into your belt is good to make sure you know your material.. i dont mind being held back in that way, because im still learning alot of useful things and better understandings of what i know.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links