Thread: Training while being on-call

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Default Training while being on-call

This is a delicate situation for me.

My office is a 24x7 operation. I work evenings during the week. This makes training tough...I'm usually restricted to day classes and private lessons when I can manage them. I REALLY need more mat time than I am currently able to manage.

I'm now at a point where I will occasionally have enough flexibility to take nighttime classes, as long as I can respond to a critical issue if one comes in.

This would mean that I would need to get my instructor's permission to wear my blackberry in class (covered by my gi of course, NEVER making audible sounds and ONLY vibrating if an alert comes to me.)

If something actionable did come my way, I would have to politely excuse myself from class for the evening.

As a student, I feel that I need to do all I can to help my fellow students have a great class. I don't want to do anything that is disrespectful or disruptive. At the same time, I'm feeling a little bit....selfish, perhaps, because I REALLY want to be on the mat.

So...what say you all? Would it be out of line for me to ask my instructor to attend the occasional evening class while wearing a blackberry?

Alternatively...has anyone accomodated a student in a situation similar to that of mine? If so, how was the accomodation handled?

Thanks everyone!

Carol

Thanks

Default Re: Training while being on-call

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Kaur
    This is a delicate situation for me.

My office is a 24x7 operation. I work evenings during the week. This makes training tough...I'm usually restricted to day classes and private lessons when I can manage them. I REALLY need more mat time than I am currently able to manage.

I'm now at a point where I will occasionally have enough flexibility to take nighttime classes, as long as I can respond to a critical issue if one comes in.

This would mean that I would need to get my instructor's permission to wear my blackberry in class (covered by my gi of course, NEVER making audible sounds and ONLY vibrating if an alert comes to me.)

If something actionable did come my way, I would have to politely excuse myself from class for the evening.

As a student, I feel that I need to do all I can to help my fellow students have a great class. I don't want to do anything that is disrespectful or disruptive. At the same time, I'm feeling a little bit....selfish, perhaps, because I REALLY want to be on the mat.

So...what say you all? Would it be out of line for me to ask my instructor to attend the occasional evening class while wearing a blackberry?

Alternatively...has anyone accomodated a student in a situation similar to that of mine? If so, how was the accomodation handled?

Thanks everyone!

Carol

Not at all I am in the same boat well in a way. Every 6th week I am on call and as such I have to be able to respond pretty fast if security calls and has a problem. (Building flooding, Server room AC goes down and a long list of crazy things) But case and point I can only attend night classes at my school. I explained my situation to my instructor and he was totally ok with that. I just leave my Nextel radio with my shoes and if I get a call I just bow out and take the call outside. If I have to leave I just pop my head back in the door salute and take off.

And we have a few other students that are in the IT field and they are always on call and have to up and leave or at least take a call all the time. No big deal at our school. So don’t be too hard on yourself. I love Kenpo but with out the job there is no Kenpo $$$$
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Carol, I don't think it would be at all out of line for you to attend class while on call- certainly not out of line to speak with your instructor about it. I wouldn't recomend wearing a pager or other device under your ghi, though. Too much chance for something to happen and you or the device to get hurt. Unless you get a lot of calls, an occasional tone wouldn't disrupt class too much. I bet everyone there would understand that you have to make a living.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

It shouldn't be an issue if you have to leave. I woudln't wear the blackberry, though one wrong hit and you have a pretty light paperweight. As long it would only be the one call coming in there should be a problem with you getting a call at teh school or the blackberry making a small tone to let you know you are needed.

In teh past I have let guys with pregnant wives leave their cell phones or pagers on audible modes.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I have been on both sides of the situation as student and Instructor. Now adays it is more common and accepted. Sometimes we have several pagers, phones lined up at the edge of the dojo with all the people on call. I always ask the instructor prior to class and appreciate the same from my students.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I would think that as long as you communicate with your instructor that you should be able to come up with a viable solution.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

Good friend of mine had this exact same problem and he was allowed to have his pager on the shoe rack in class.

In the "old days" some instructors may have frowned upon this but I think today its a consideration everyone has to make for motivated students.

Keep training!
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links