Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Test Blahs

Thanks

Default Post Test Blahs

I've got the post-test blahs.

Any of you ever get that?

I trained 4-5 days a week for almost a year and a half in preparation for my second black test and now that I'm done, I'm having a hard time getting my excitement up for working out hard again.

I'm doing the exercise bike and the sit ups and such, but when it comes to the kenpo part of the workout, I poop out really fast. I'm thinking that I just need a break for a few months. Not a complete break, just not a 4-5 times a week thing.

I've got a vacation coming up soon, then Baltimore camp. I'm thinking camp will get me excited again and ready to get back into it.

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a good way to get through it?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: Post Test Blahs

We all go through these plateaus.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Stay training, don't take a break.

Slumps are easier fought through by working through them and not running away from them, in my opinion.

But...my training is a helluva lot shorter than your training Amy so take this with a grain of salt

Thanks
    Thanked 4,374 Times in 1,427 Posts

I been at this for longer than I care to admit...when you get the bug, you'll -- in the long run -- be in it for life. Sometimes hot, sometimes cold. But always at least on the active edge.

Remember...having the blah's doesn't MEAN anything...it just means you have the blah's. Don't let it mean more, and you're over half way to the next level.

D.
    Clear mind, clear movement. Mastery of the Arts is mastery over the Self. That in this moment, this motion, the thoughts, memories, impulses and passions that cloud the mind must yield to the clarity of purpose, and purity of motion.

Thanks

Well this is just me but seems like after every belt test I go through a stage of “my heart is just not in it”. Granted I have never tested for Black belt and my belt tests are a lot more often but none the less I still hit that post test road block. I just drop my head and keep on pushing as after a week or two I am going 100% again. But in your case I would slow down a little 5 days a week is hard with a home life and your next belt test a little ways off.

I also have to say it would be very cool to be preparing for 3rd Black instead of Blue . Just my .02
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2004hemi
    Well this is just me but seems like after every belt test I go through a stage of “my heart is just not in it”. Granted I have never tested for Black belt and my belt tests are a lot more often but none the less I still hit that post test road block. I just drop my head and keep on pushing as after a week or two I am going 100% again. But in your case I would slow down a little 5 days a week is hard with a home life and your next belt test a little ways off.

I also have to say it would be very cool to be preparing for 3rd Black instead of Blue . Just my .02
    I'm hoping that Baltimore camp will get me jazzed again. It's not that I don't want to do it anymore -- bite your tongue -- I just don't have the gung ho thing. And I do have 3 years before I'm even eligible for my next test. I started learning the green extensions already and finger set 2, but I have that feeling that I just can't run that blue card one more time.

I'm sure I won't feel that way in a bit, but ugh, it's hard. I'm trying to run through my katas in a different way, but they don't quite have the pizazz they did.

I'll keep plugging. It's nice to know that others get the blahs too.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

Thanks

My worst plateau was right after my 1st black, for about a year I just went through the motions. I went to class, I taught, I went home, I wasn't chasing anything, I wasn't asking for privates, I was burnt out and the fire just wasn't there. I think I broke out of it by challenging myself to learn the AK Form 6 from videotape for our home tournament. Plateaus suck.

Lamont
    Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Kenpo Karate
    www.blackbirdmartialarts.com

“He, who will not reason, is a bigot; he, who cannot, is a fool; and he, who dares not, is a slave.”
    ~William Drummond

"This person is as dangerous as an IED."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Use the plateaus as a time for extra-curricular learning. Find a new weapon or pick a form from another style, just find someting new to lift you out of the slump.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Hi Amy,

I think that your feelings with the post test blues, is a natural response for the majority of sports people,

Consider an Olympic Athlete, working hard, personal sacrifices, constantly training to achieve their goals first just to qualify,

Then the preparation for the event its self “The Olympics Games”

Whether the Athlete, was successful or not, In the post interview with the media,

When asked “ what now” just about all athletes respond with, that they intend to take some time off,

Perhaps your 2nd BLACK TEST was your Olympics,

Incidentally, perhaps another consideration may be, I know this is the case with me,

Sometimes your body just needs time to absorb and process the material. That you already have.

Constantly learning new material to soon can be an exhausting mental exercise some times overwhelming,. Which may be contributing to your feelings.

Cheers
    Damien

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

I agree with the others. Take some down time. Then Camps/Seminars always get you pumped up again.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I dont think slowing down a little after a belt test is a bad thing it is the culmination of a lot of hard work and training.
    Accept it and move on maybe a little slower then the way you were training for the test.
    When I get the slack off bug I accept it slow down a little but not quit.
    I sometimes find reading about the arts whether it be my own or others stimulates me again.
    Just another Lifelong student Walking the Endless journey of Kenpo.(and Loving it)

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Just a suggestion, but you might want to try doing your forms slow and without power for a little while, focusing instead on what each movment is doing and seeing if you can find any nuances you might have missed doing them the proper speed and power. This works well with techniques also.

Thanks

Over time I like to go back and review the material from the start. Look at your early techniques with a new eye.

Also if you dont already do this look at the free style techniques for each rank.

Remember these for yellow?

B1aB3aB1bB3bB2aB4aB2bB4b

If you need the list let me know and I will send them to you.
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Hello Amy,
    I told you I would post..

Why don't you try to focus on the part of your training you enjoy the most. Since you have been focusing on a specific goal for so long, you probably neglected some of the parts of your training you really enjoy.

Focus on your favorite things for awhile ( as long as it takes ) and remember the fun of training, and why you probably started in the first place.

When I start feeling burnt out, I focus on my personal game in a certain area of training.. I may work my grappling, my kickboxing, or whatever, but usually I always feel like doing something, just not the whole package..

Go rent some of the movies you really enjoy.. I have the "warrior within" that I sometimes throw in when I get the blahhhs.... It reminds me of the old school fighters I looked up to growing up in the arts, and sparks me up all over again. The perfect weapon, The pink panther flicks to see SGM Parker and Inspector Cluseau...& don't forget Kato...

The green hornet... and....and......

Focus on what you enjoy for awhile, and before you know it you will be back in the groove.

Hope this helps.

Dean.

Thanks

Amy: dont worry about it.. try maybe going 2 nights a week. at least to stay active.. hell my teacher reached first black and took 15 years off to persue other arts before he came back home to Kenpo.

maybe a break from martial arts is what you need, maybe just kenpo? who knows.. but dont let all your training and knowledge go to waste! hell originally my plan was after blue belt to take a small break and try BJJ or Hapkido for a few months.. im a lil over half way to purple.. and i couldnt imagine taking a break.. i love learning more of this art as i go about it. so i guess ill hafta see if BJJ or Hapkido are on different nights than Kenpo.. lol

Thanks

You guys are all great.

I'm not dropping or anything. I have a class I teach two nights a week, so either way, I'll be there and I teach privates before that.

I just mean that when I go to the gym, I ride the exercise bike for 20 min. or so, do my 100 sit ups, knee exercises and such (that takes up a total of about 30 min. or so)

Usually I go then to the aerobics room to do kata and techniques. I do one or two katas, then I run out of steam.

I figure I'll just slog through it for awhile and see how it goes.

I've been learning finger set 2 and that's something that's new, but doesn't take too much brainpower.

I'm sure that those of you going to Baltimore can see me and perk me up.

I doubt it'll take much.

It could also just be that I need a vacation. I'm a wedding DJ too and I have a Bridezilla for this Friday. Two days before her wedding, she tells me she doesn't like how I'm going to do the ceremony music (which we had agreed upon) and now she wants me to bring an assistant (which I don't have and she doesn't want to pay for) and she's mad because I won't go to the rehearsal for free (again, something we had already discussed).

She says all of this today and the wedding is Friday night. Then tells me that SHE doesn't need this stress. Who does?

Ugh.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

--Amy

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    You guys are all great.

I'm not dropping or anything. I have a class I teach two nights a week, so either way, I'll be there and I teach privates before that.

I just mean that when I go to the gym, I ride the exercise bike for 20 min. or so, do my 100 sit ups, knee exercises and such (that takes up a total of about 30 min. or so)

Usually I go then to the aerobics room to do kata and techniques. I do one or two katas, then I run out of steam.

I figure I'll just slog through it for awhile and see how it goes.

I've been learning finger set 2 and that's something that's new, but doesn't take too much brainpower.

I'm sure that those of you going to Baltimore can see me and perk me up.

I doubt it'll take much.

It could also just be that I need a vacation. I'm a wedding DJ too and I have a Bridezilla for this Friday. Two days before her wedding, she tells me she doesn't like how I'm going to do the ceremony music (which we had agreed upon) and now she wants me to bring an assistant (which I don't have and she doesn't want to pay for) and she's mad because I won't go to the rehearsal for free (again, something we had already discussed).

She says all of this today and the wedding is Friday night. Then tells me that SHE doesn't need this stress. Who does?

Ugh.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

--Amy

Yikes! Bridezilla sure sounds like a handfull!

My office-mate and I go out to jog from time to time. She is much more of a serious runner than I am. When we went out today, I asked her how she gets through slumps, she says she tries something she hasn't done in awhile, or something new, or off the wall. I asked what she had done that was off the wall. Her answer was trying her daughter's hula-hoop.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Everyone needs a break.... even from things they like! So take one! You've worked your tail off for over a year. You've earned it. Then, when the Baltimore event comes around you'll be well rested and refocused on your next goal.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." – Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    I've got the post-test blahs.

Any of you ever get that?

I trained 4-5 days a week for almost a year and a half in preparation for my second black test and now that I'm done, I'm having a hard time getting my excitement up for working out hard again.

I'm doing the exercise bike and the sit ups and such, but when it comes to the kenpo part of the workout, I poop out really fast. I'm thinking that I just need a break for a few months. Not a complete break, just not a 4-5 times a week thing.

I've got a vacation coming up soon, then Baltimore camp. I'm thinking camp will get me excited again and ready to get back into it.

Has anyone else experienced this and come up with a good way to get through it?

--Amy

Found this on Tip of the Week.

http://www.ltatum.com/movies/Week20/...eekMedW20.html

Topic is Staying Motivated
    PARKER - HERMAN - SECK

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katsudo_karate
    Found this on Tip of the Week.

http://www.ltatum.com/movies/Week20/...eekMedW20.html

Topic is Staying Motivated
    Martin,

Wise words from a wise man... Good find.

Dean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links