Thread: About Assistants..............

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Default About Assistants..............

In developing assistants how do you determine when they're ready to help? Do you look at..............

How long have they been with the program?

Their rank?

Their compatibiltiy to work with others?

Their understanding of the curriculum?

Their ability to take direction from the Head Instructor?

If you have any other ideas to add, please do so!

Thanks!
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: About Assistants..............

I look a few important factors:

1. personality - how well do they interat with others inthe school
    2. how well they communicate - can they get the same message across to many people but doing so differently with each person
    3. their knowledge - how well dothey know the material they will be required to teach
    4. how fast they process new material - how long does it take the learn something and then be able to do it upon command
    5. dedication - how often do the attend classer, are they dependable, how easy is it to frustrate them
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kenpo
    In developing assistants how do you determine when they're ready to help? Do you look at..............

How long have they been with the program?

Their rank?

Their compatibiltiy to work with others?

Their understanding of the curriculum?

Their ability to take direction from the Head Instructor?

If you have any other ideas to add, please do so!

Thanks!
    Dr. Kenpo...my training has not been completed yet so...I don't develop assistants.

What my school does...they complete a 2 year leadership program that they one can enter at 3rd Brown along with recommendation by the instructor. With the program they work on leadership skills and teaching skills. They are expected to take a leadership role in class, but they don't do any actually teaching.

Currently, our assistant instructors have completed the leadership program, and are 2nd black. Our school I think will start an assistant at 1st black, but as of now, all of our assistants are nidans.

KenpoTalk
    Yellow Belt
    Thanks

Just a few random thoughts

Rank alone is not enough.
    Often we look towards our more senior students for assistants, Although it has to be a desire within the student to want to be an assistant Instructor, and posses the desired Characteristics and the ability to want to learn how to teach,

Teaching is an ART in it self

Obviously this endeavor is a process of time, , it has to be taken gradually just like kenpo.

There are a number of considerations that I would take in to Account all of which have to be accessed over time,

1) Attitude,
    2) Their commitment level and punctuality.
    3) Loyalty
    4) Their desire to want learn how to teach,
    5) The individuals Level of Maturity
    6) Obviously their skill and rank,

For me it would be a personal decision primarily based on the above, but not because I think so, Rather because the student as proven so.

And if I was in doubt, then more time is required until I am satisfied, or know other wise.

Sorry if the above sounded like a rant, but this is my take on the subject

Cheers
    Damien

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lady_kaur
    Dr. Kenpo...my training has not been completed yet so...I don't develop assistants.
    Oh my. You just invited trouble.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

A questions arises from one of the posts in this thread. Is the training ever completed.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks

My feeling that if the student wants to help, then I encourage them to do so.

I give them a chance to listen to how I explain things. I listen to what they say and 'add' to what they are saying and help them to show the other students in the best way.

If they are not interacting well, I show them how to do it. I find that those who are interested in helping, are interested in learning HOW to help.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

Excellent posts! All good qaulities an assistant should have. I would put trustworthiness, knowledge, and ability to communicate as the top traits but all posts are very applicable. Before anything else though, I think I would look at their overall attitude. Is it positive? Are they Gung-Ho about Kenpo? Do they routinely help lower ranks without incentive?

And no, the training never stops. Even when training someone else you should be learning from them as well. It's more like "sharing" info than passing it along. Granted, the instructor should have more base technical knowledge but being exposed to different beginners perspectives on Kenpo can really be a learning experience in itself.
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links