Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I been catching some flak

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Default I been catching some flak

I started the post about 25 mins ago and went into elaborate detail about a situation I just so happened to experience tonight during training and somehow another the site said I wasn’t logged in and unfortunately (maybe fortunately depends on how you look at it) I will choose to not type it all out again…

To make a long story boring…

I just earned my purple belt Saturday and I have been doing Kenpo for just over four months I think and lately I have been receiving flak from some of the other students about my advancement in the system. I do understand there will come a point in time when things will not move as fast and get a little more complicated but as of now I have not had a problem learning my basics ( stances, punches, finger tech, blocks, strikes, kicks, parries, foot maneuvers…kenpo stuff) nor the techs, sets, and forms that have been required thus far sticking to the general rules that govern how we move in Kenpo establish your base, strike high-check low, front hand neutral-rear hand forward…kenpo stuff)…

I say all of this to get some input from you guys here. If the student meets the requirements for the school should they not advance? I consider myself somewhat of an athlete I’ve played football, ran track, weightlifted and I’m currently playing around in the MMA arena.. (gasp!!) So a lot of things like coordination, foot work, explosiveness, yada, yada, I have somewhat of a grip on. so some of the elements needed for kenpo I possess to an extent and I think that has helped me through the beginning ranks of the art.

Its late, this post doesn’t make sense but I’ve been here too long to not post it so I’m going to take my chances I’ll clear up any fog tomorrow when I’m not ticked off with this burden we call technology!!!!

Thanks

Default Re: I been catching some flak

Quote Originally Posted by CJPreston
    I just earned my purple belt Saturday and I have been doing Kenpo for just over four months I think and lately I have been receiving flak from some of the other students about my advancement in the system. ... I say all of this to get some input from you guys here. If the student meets the requirements for the school should they not advance?
    In four months, the requirements couldn't have been too rigorous. There is more to the system than learning the moves by rote. I don't see how you could have even done that correctly in four months. I think you should reevaluate what you are doing, and who you are doing it under as well. I see more Kenpo schools going this route. We should remember that this is how TKD got its' bad rep. There are still some good TKD schools out there, but if you want to hear about someone taking a lot of flak, go talk to those guys.

You're right, it's late and I don't want to dump on you. But there is so much more to Kenpo and I hate to see people rushed through and short changed. You don't even get the understanding and level of competence required for Yellow in less than the time it took you to get Purple. Others will probably chime in here, so I'm going to shut up. Just listen to them.

Thanks

I dont know where purple belt sits in the EPAK system.......but let me say this: sometimes you have to put some trust in the teacher (unless they give you reason to do otherwise), if they feel you are ready, it's time.......if not you wouldnt have it.
    It hasn't got squat to do with what the rest of the students at the school think.
    Some people show an aptitude for martial arts and pick it up quickly and are advanced accordingly.......some people never pick it up and are still advanced through the ranks. If you feel like an honest purple........who cares.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

How many techniques are you learning per belt?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Purple Belt in four months is very, very quick. There is a mental maturity that must be achieved at each belt level and to be able to do techniques on command is just one small step in that journey to each level's maturity.

I would ask myself a few questions if I were in your shoes? If were the instructor would I promote someone to purple belt in only 4 months? Is it my ability or check book that gets me my promotions? How would I fare ability wise with other kenpo students in my school and other schools?
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob Broad For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

"You must earn what you learn." -- Edmund K. Parker

There is far more to kenpo than merely the physical expressions of the concepts.

I have been where you are. I accellerated through the ranks very quickly. At the time I was attending classes 6 days a week on top of training on my own. When I reached 3rd brown it was like I hit a brick wall. I could do every technique by rote, but it all didnt click. It wasnt until I went back to the basics, teaching, that it began to make more sense. When teaching I was forced to break things apart and analyize them.

I think you need to take a step back and evaluate where you really stand.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dubljay For This Useful Post:

John M. La Tourrette (04-09-2007)

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

Our school requires a set number of classes over a set number of weeks to promote to the next belt level. Belts are not hurried along for anyone, regardless of talent.

A person learning a foreign language may be good at rote memorization, and can take in list upon list of vocabulary words. The person may remember the words and may even do ok in the tightly scripted exercises that reflect the words the student just learned.

It does not make the person able to properly put a sentence together in a live situation.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

I will start by saying do not equate the school I train at to the zip you through black belt in 6 months TKD schools or any other organization where your skill is judged by the stroke of your pen. What I brought to the table here is the exception and by far not the norm...So please do not disrespect my school

I do not see kenpo as so weird spiritual thing that requires each and every artist of the art to be stuck and bound inside some cookie cutter box because he/she hasen't received the "revalation." Whatever that means.

Thanks

first.. not dumping on you..

that said.. Purp in 4 month.. like eveyone here said.. is fast. I have a long background in differant martial arts and started Kenpo a year ago.. it took me a year to get my purp because we spent a good deal of time on the details and fundimental concepts.

I would ask what is your belt progression at your school? how many techniques? How many techniques are you taught per class?

granted if you have your purp then your instructors feel you deserve it and kudos to you... I would take a moment at home.. run through your techniques and honestly ask yoruself.. do I know the technique intimatly or do I know it enough go through it? do i understand that in parting wings the rotation of the palm creates additional torque or am I just turning my hand because thats what I was told to do? The hardest thing is to look at your abilities objectivly and be honest with yourself.

good luck and be well.
    "Do you have any bactine? Some of this blood is mine."

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

Thanks

I will start by saying do not equate the school I train at to the zip you through black belt in 6 months TKD schools
    You did that by saying they ziped you to purple in four. I/we just gave you an honest answer to your question.

What I brought to the table here is the exception and by far not the norm...So please do not disrespect my school
    I simply said you should reevaluate, and I stand by that. But do so with an open mind, taking into consideration what you find out here.

I do not see kenpo as so weird spiritual thing that requires each and every artist of the art to be stuck and bound inside some cookie cutter box because he/she hasen't received the "revalation." Whatever that means.
    You're reading your own prejudices into our statements. No one said anything about wierd rituals and revalations. We're talking about understanding and skill levels that require time to assimilate, regardless of how good you are or what you bring to the table. Real Kenpo stuff.

In the end, it's up to you. If you're happy with it, fine deal. But I doubt you'll get much respect from the Kenpo community at large with this type application, if that is what you're after. You asked, sorry if it offends. No disrespect intended.

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thedan
    You did that by saying they ziped you to purple in four. I/we just gave you an honest answer to your question.

I simply said you should reevaluate, and I stand by that. But do so with an open mind, taking into consideration what you find out here.

You're reading your own prejudices into our statements. No one said anything about wierd rituals and revalations. We're talking about understanding and skill levels that require time to assimilate, regardless of how good you are or what you bring to the table. Real Kenpo stuff.

In the end, it's up to you. If you're happy with it, fine deal. But I doubt you'll get much respect from the Kenpo community at large with this type application, if that is what you're after. You asked, sorry if it offends. No disrespect intended.
    relax dude it's not that serious

Thanks

relax dude it's not that serious
    I think his response was due to the fact that your rebutle seemed defensive. noone is attacking aonyone here but I can quickly see this disintigrating into an argument due to misunderstanding of intention and taking brutaly honest answers as an attack.

So.. i would ask you this.. what are your feeling on what you have learned and how quickly you have progressed?

"Dear Die-ary, today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender. I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me."

-JTHM

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Here are my thoughts on the situation

The reason I brought this up in the first place because I was a little bewildered by the fact that the person I had been receiving so of the ill responses from is a friend of mine that introduced me to kenpo and since I have been training he has not trained with me or attempted to work with me to see if I have any type of understanding.

I'm excited about my current progress because it makes me want to refine and learn that much more! It's a great stress releif and with my wife out of town for a few months for an internship its a place where I can spend time and get out of the lonely house (Man I miss my wife).

All of this to say that I'm cool with it while the responses between those I train with and those I do not are on two different ends of the spectrum. I'll take the evaluation of six black belts who have been in the art ranging from 20-40+ years.

Thanks

Here are my thoughts on the situation

The reason I brought this up in the first place because I was a little bewildered by the fact that the person I had been receiving so of the ill responses from is a friend of mine that introduced me to kenpo and since I have been training he has not trained with me or attempted to work with me to see if I have any type of understanding.

I'm excited about my current progress because it makes me want to refine and learn that much more! It's a great stress releif and with my wife out of town for a few months for an internship its a place where I can spend time and get out of the lonely house (Man I miss my wife).

All of this to say that I'm cool with it while the responses between those I train with and those I do not are on two different ends of the spectrum. I'll take the evaluation of six black belts who have been in the art ranging from 20-40+ years.
    Well perhaps you should take the evaluation of those you train with because they train with you rather than taking their evaluation just because of time spent studying. Keep in mind that the evaluation you find here is based on information given, which in this case is limited.

That you are excited about your progress.. good.. as well you should be, I would simply advise that you remember your base.. since with such quick progression it is easy to glaze over a seemingly minor things in footwork that are eventualy very important. Sucks that your wife is gone and it is great that you have an outlet.. that is healthy.

As for your firend.. that sucks.. can't help you there.

-JTHM

Thanks

Hi.

I just noticed this thread. A purple belt in six months is pretty darn fast. My students have been there longer than that and are just coming up on orange. We have 24 moves per belt, they know short and long 1, blocking set 1, part of kicking set and a bunch of other things.

They're doing a great job. Chris, who is on this forum now, is moving a bit faster because he has years of prior training under his belt, but that still does seem fast.

That doesn't mean you're not deserving of your belt. It means that it was fast. If, however, you only have 10 moves per belt or so, and you go 5 nights a week, then I could see it, but I do agree that some seasoning is in order.

Like between first and second black, there's a min. of 2 years that you have to wait. I only needed to learn 1 kata and 24 ext. It didn't take my 2 years to learn that, but the seasoning was important.

There's a process of growing into your belt that has nothing to do with weird rituals.

You asked why you were getting some flak -- I think you got your answer here. You're catching flak because your advancement is much much faster than the norm. You may know the techniques and you may know them very well, but the seasoning couldn't have set in by now.

Do you guys skip yellow? Some places do that, so then I might understand that a little better.

If you didn't want people's opinions, then you shouldn't have brought up the topic. People here have many years of experience, so don't automatically discard them.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

They should take it up with the instructor. The instructor certifies your rank. That is all you have to worry about. Not that something like this between friends is trivial. But, you shouldn't feel bad about your rank.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I know that it has been asked allready but..

1. How many techniques are there per belt level and what forms/sets are required?

2. What is the belt level system? Example: white, yellow, orange, purple, blue etc. etc.

As Amy said This may clear things up for many of us.

Salute,
    Donnie
    Heart is the differance between those who attempt and those who achieve.

Train hard.... pain is weakness leaving the body.

Thanks

If an adult is a VERY dedicated student with me, it is not too uncommon to achieve a Purple Belt with me in about 1 year, otherwise it takes a lot longer.

A Purple Belt in 4 months is way too fast in my opinion.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    (Phillipians 4:13)

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gakusei
    They should take it up with the instructor. The instructor certifies your rank. That is all you have to worry about. Not that something like this between friends is trivial. But, you shouldn't feel bad about your rank.
    Very good point. The instructor is the one that is evaluating you and granting the rank that you currently hold. That being said you wouldn't have asked if you didn't have some reservations of your own. That is where this seasoning that is being mentioned. You went through the ranks very quickly and I am not saying thet there is anything inherently wrong with that. For most of us skill has come with time and experience.
    That being said none of us are judging you we were not there for you testing and we have not seen how you physically move. So congratulations on your rank and keep practicing and training.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seabrook
    If an adult is a VERY dedicated student with me, it is not too uncommon to achieve a Purple Belt with me in about 1 year, otherwise it takes a lot longer.

A Purple Belt in 4 months is way too fast in my opinion.
    My students have been there about 8 months or so and are getting their orange belts, so a year or more for a purple seems right to me. I'm thinking they will be at least another six months before they get their purple. At least.

The difference between orange and purple is the difference between beginning and intermediate student, so it's an important rank.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links