Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After class "rituals"

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Default After class "rituals"

I have recently begun practicing and helping teach at a different dojo with Amy Long. They do something at the end of classes that is very different from any studio I have been in........they hug!! Yes, EVERYONE (you cannot get away!!) gets one- it's like a big bumper car arena there until we get to everyone. I find it a very neat way to end class and it puts everyone in a better mood I think. A "no hard feelings" sort of thing.

So, I thought I'd ask........do any of you have something you do to end every class? Something that is unique (or not) to your studio?

At my studio up in Redding (California), we end every class with handshakes and filing by rank into a shoulder to shoulder line- everyone facing the same way. We then "Pass the Back Knuckle" starting with the instructor hitting the next highest rank in the stomach who passes it on down the line. When it gets to the lowest rank, they pass it back the other way so that it ends with the instructor. Our instructor likes to do this to symbolize a passing of knowledge......as we learn from him, so also does he learn from us. I really like it.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Default Re: After class "rituals"

Passing the back knuckle is very familiar to me One thing I noticed as my belt color grew darker and I moved up the line... the back knuckles gained more power behind them

When I would train with my friend at his (non Kenpo) school, an after class tradition for the two of us was to spar, usually 80-90% full contact. Funny, no one else wanted in on that.

Another after class tradition when I taught a kids class was once every week or so the kids would mob me. LOL
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

I've done the pass the backknuckle, except that it was a hammerfist.

Needless to say, that's why I prefer hugs.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

We bow out then walk off the mat. Occassionally some joke and carry on from time to time. That is not usually my style until the classes are completely done.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jfarnsworth
    We bow out then walk off the mat. Occassionally some joke and carry on from time to time. That is not usually my style until the classes are completely done.
    You need more hugs. I joke some in class (okay, a lot), but inbetween serious learning.

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Yep- Amy keeps it fun......but gets a lot done!!

Everyone can use a hug......whether they realize it or not!!

jfarnsworth is offline Parker / Planas Lineage
    Thanks

I do not turn down hugs;..... especially from.... Nevermind. My newly acquired work out partner gives me a hug everyday. I haven't figured out yet if she hugs me b/c she's glad it's over or if she does it out of thanks.

Not too many women out there want to go through my weight lifting routine everyday.

KenpoTalk
    Green Belt
    Thanks

We do handshakes.
    More Shugyo!

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

after class we shake the instructors hand lined up by rank.. some times we pass the punch.. but not that often.. then we kneel down and take off our belts...
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

An after class ritual that my instructor spoke of when he was coming up through the ranks was after class everyone went over to the chin-up bar and did as many chin-ups as they could.
    Holding onto anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. - Buddha

Thanks

We teach the new guy Flashing Swords and take him out drinking with us. We get him drunk and then tell the biggest guy in the bar (whom we've been buying shots on the side) that this IS the guy we've been seeing show up at his girlfriend's house while he's at work.
    Just kidding!
    Some of us either spar, or like myself, try to wind down with doing a few forms before the lights get turned off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

I used to shout. Get out go bug osomeone that likes you," before a bunch of us would go out for a beer. Now a days I just bow everyone one out, I am not much of a touchy feely guy and don't won't to bring that into my school. But I do encourage students to socialize away from the school.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,520 Times in 909 Posts

I don't like hugging sweaty-stinky men. LOL.

We punch each other in the face as hard as we can...just kidding. Actually, it's our tradition to "dodge the raindrops." At the end of each class we all line up on one side of the room and then when sifu gives the signal ( a loud 'Oss') we all run for the door while he hurls knives at us... yankin' your chain again. But seriously, what we do is form a big circle and hold hands while singing "Give Peace a Chance." LMAO....
    "It is sobering to reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." Charles A. Beard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    I don't like hugging sweaty-stinky men. LOL.

We punch each other in the face as hard as we can...just kidding. Actually, it's our tradition to "dodge the raindrops." At the end of each class we all line up on one side of the room and then when sifu gives the signal ( a loud 'Oss') we all run for the door while he hurls knives at us... yankin' your chain again. But seriously, what we do is form a big circle and hold hands while singing "Give Peace a Chance." LMAO....
    You're so deep and special. I like to hug sweaty-stinky men. What's your problem with it? The sweaty, the stinky or the men part?

--Amy

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Shake hands with all students, but people are always on the floor doing something afterwards.
    " Come with me, and I will complete your trainning."

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

Frequently we spar but, a lot of times the friendly banter turns into a technical discussion and I end up back out on the mat with the instructor. Oh darn.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

In Amy Longs classes the ending ritual of hugging...well at first it was quite frightening at first especially when it's your first day there and don't know anyone...but you get used to it.

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Green Belt
    Thanks

Question Re: After class "rituals"

The last thing we do before we leave the mat, is we line up and do the Secret Sam Pai Handshake. (No lie!) lol

Newer post class traditions seem to be developing since I sinstalled the Big Screen in the Dojo. Now it seems that since Ultimate Fighter is on almost directly after class everyone thinks they hafta stay and watch that. Then they hafta root through sifu's video library and find some instructional tapes to play. Then they hafta root some more and find movies to watch...next thing Sifu knows it's 3 am! Don't these students have lives ???
    NEW and IMPROVED Non-Chunky Version!

[SIGPIC]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo[/SIGPIC]

I only know enough, to understand how much I don't know

http://www.angelfire.com/wa/dangerusskenpo

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Sifu DangeRuss needs to whip out a can o' whup @$$ and shoo those students on out earlier!! We have some you can borrow if you don't own your own can!!
    OUR NEW SCHOOL WEBPAGE IS:
    Sacramento Kenpo Karate

If you were waiting for the opportune moment, that was it.

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?

~Captain Jack Sparrow~

Carol is offline Deo duce, ferro comitante
    Thanks

My school teaches Indonesian arts. One of the instructors always has a pot of Indonesian (Sumatran) coffee on the coffee maker. Despite the fact that the coffee is ALWAYS there, he says after class...

"Hey, have some coffee! It's Sumatran."

And...many of us do, myself included. When class is over, the folks that are really on a tight schedule will pack up and go...and the rest of us hang out for a bit, drink coffee, and chat for a bit. It's usually the majority that hangs out.

I love it. It's a wonderful time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links