Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats your favorite yellow belt technique????

Thanks

Default whats your favorite yellow belt technique????

Quote Originally Posted by kenpoguy
    i was just wondering beacuse i just started the program whats youur favorite yellow belt technique.
    I like Deflecting Hammer because I like the baiting aspect of it.

And I like grasp of death because I like leaping on people when I do the attack.

--Amy

I think it has to be delayed sword cos I'm still learning stuff from it. Second to Alternating Maces which just cracks m up when people attack me with fear in their eyes

All of them! These tech's are the FOUNDATION of everything that comes later in the system.
    It's all there in the first three techs. From your right neutral bow, you can block inward, outward, or downward. With those three you can ADD a kick/strike or DELETE a kick/strike, or REARRANGE the sequence within a tech.

Delayed Sword. IMHO. I like it because to me it is very flexible and can be easily adapted to defend several different types of attacks....punch... lapel grab.... high line kife stab....round inside club.. You can also use it to effortlessly graft just about any other technique in the book to it. It's just a good solid, straight-to-the-point technique and is an excellent example of how Kenpo uses strikes to set our attacker's up for follow ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Crippler
    Delayed Sword. IMHO. I like it because to me it is very flexible and can be easily adapted to defend several different types of attacks....punch... lapel grab.... high line kife stab....round inside club.. You can also use it to effortlessly graft just about any other technique in the book to it. It's just a good solid, straight-to-the-point technique and is an excellent example of how Kenpo uses strikes to set our attacker's up for follow ups.

I have to agree with CC. Delayed Sword was the first tech I learned when I started in Kenpo. I from day one thought this is cool but not something I would likely use much. Then about a year later my instructor opened my eyes again (this happens a lot here lately) this tech that I thought was only for use against a one hand lapel grab (hence why I thought it’s cool but not practical) turned out to be very flexible. I started to graft it into all kinds of (Beginning tech’s – I use the word beginning since I learned these first and I am still a lower color belt I haven’t gotten to the more advanced stuff yet). But I also have to agree that from watching my instructor the White, Yellow, Orange, belt techs seem to the base or platform for the more advanced stuff. Just the other day I was reading here about extensions of techs. Several people stated they liked the use of these but did not list what the “extensions” are? Well after class on Monday I asked my instructor what are the extensions for the tech Five Swords (I love that tech) I seem to be able to graft a lot of stuff into that tech. Well anyway he said I’ll show you some of the things that can take off from the base of that tech. He looked like a tornado going around and around me hitting me about 50 times (not hard just taps) But from the things I could make out and recognize, I was able to tell some or all of what he was doing stemmed from lower lever techs with a few of the more advanced things thrown in. Some times I think I need to stay at orange belt for about five years to really understand all the intricacies of the material I have up to now. I worry that by the time I move up to Red belt or Brown belt I will have so much material to work with and try to understand that I will never catch up and truly understand what can and what can not be added or deleted. Or really understand all the potential of what I have learned up to that point.

Just my .02

No worries. Your understanding improves as you go.

Five swords is one of my favorites too. I did the extension on one of my clips from Monday.

What's cool is that every time you get a new understanding of some concept, you can immediately see how it's all easily applied to your techniques.

Like when I was thinking that I was smooth on certain techniques, then I started looking at anchoring. All of a sudden, I realized where I was leaving out or could easily insert some valuable anchoring in my techniques.

Naturally, I had to go back and start re-working the techniques from an anchoring point of view.

That happens with all sorts of stuff. And you get to kenpo as long as you want, so there's always plenty of time to get better.

--Amy
    Last edited by Rob Broad; 06-07-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Wrong area
    A black belt covers 2" of your butt. Covering the rest is soley up to you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Default Re: whats your favorite yellow belt technique????

Sorry for the confusion on this post folks. I was trying to move these posts and the one taht started the topic into teh proper area and some how hit merge instead of move.

In the future could members please make sure you are posting in the proper area. If you are unceratin, ask a staff member they are here to help you.

Rob Broad
    Global Moderator
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

My favorite is Spreading Branch. I like pulling someone by their neck and sink in a knee before dropping an elbow on them. The bruises bring back memories.

KenpoTalk
    2nd. Brown Belt
    Thanks

i like checking the storm the best.. i like them all
    "The sacraed rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for among old parchments or musty records. They are written, as with a sunbeam, in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself, and can never be erased.""

Alexander Hamilton
    The Farmer Refuted (1775)

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

I like Deflecting Hammer- it's cool!

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Blue Belt
    Thanks

Intellectual Departure and Attacking Mace
    -Camey

"You mean, you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people? "

SUPPORT KENPOTALK:http://www.kenpotalk.com/forum/payments.php

KenpoTalk
    Adv. Purple Belt
    Thanks

Alternating Mace is neat too.....I always easily remembered which one it was cuz a girl in my class had a cousin named Corey that she didn't like........so she called this technique "Alternating Corey's Face"!!

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Lone Kimono,
    It's short brutal sweet and to the point. IMHO the essence of self-defense

KenpoTalk
    Orange Belt
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cameypsaromatis
    Intellectual Departure and Attacking Mace
    Attacking Mace is a cool technique! Intellectual Departure another cool tech, makes me appreciate my cup all the more!

Thanks

Obscure Wing, I love blasting through that technique just bouncing off of each strike. It wows everyone every time LOL.

Or Thrusting Salute, I just find happiness in Heal Palming the guy for some reason.
    "To hear is to doubt. To see is to be deceived. But to feel is to believe." -- SGM Ed Parker

"Sic vis pacem parabellum - If you want peace, prepare for war." -- "The Punisher"

"Praying Mantis, very good. . . For catching bugs." --Jackie Chan

"A horse stance is great for taking a dump" --Jet Li

KenpoTalk
    White Belt
    Thanks

Kimoto Grab

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I have to say that I am a fan of Five Swords. Something about its application (and yes its extensions) that seems to work really well with me.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

KenpoTalk
    Adv. White Belt
    Thanks

I would have to say grasp of death 'cause it's so much fun to be put in a head lock...oh and the laughter you get from your buddies when they walk in when your practicing the technique in the air...they call me a crippled gorilla.

Chris

Thanks

You guys learn Five Swords at Yellow?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 Times in 801 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael151
    You guys learn Five Swords at Yellow?
    Glad to see someone else catching techniques that are past yellow belt in this thread.
    Quality outweighs quantity every time.

John Brewer is offline Starting Over
    Thanks

Alternating Maces. I liked the counter torque and the neutral to forward stance changes.

KenpoTalk
    1st. Brown Belt
    Thanks

I think that I originally learned it out of order in a group class. So, I tend to think of it as a Yellow Belt technique. Sorry.
    "Change is not necessary...Survival is not mandatory" - W. Edward Deming

"When I hit....I hit the whole enchilada" - Master David Leung

Thanks

I have to list two: Alternating Maces and Deflecting Hammer.

AM, because it showed me that this isn't just another crash and bash system. The reality of reacting under extreme force. Control of yourself, and your opponent. Useing his actions against him. The subtle redirection, X 2. And as I got more time in the system, I came back to this one and got much more- a lot of learning both from an external and internal perspective.

DH. I considered leaving the system when I was first taught this. When I first learned DH, I had already been working with a bastardized Tracy system (probably more bastard than Tracy, especially considering those of us working on it!!!) for about a year. The chamber is what got me. I thought, "BS! This isn't Kenpo! Kenpo doesn't chamber!" Well, as my understanding progressed and my technique flowed past the chamber, I really got to love this technique. It's one of my favorites! I worked it with different angles on the downward block, and with leg checks for low kicks (works even better this way), and even with side kicks. Really messes up their world against an in close side kick! Actually, this one messes up their world, period. Just gotta love it!

So, that's mine.

Thanks

Where are you chambering in DH?

--Amy
    The New Kenpo Continuum Book is now accepting submissions for volume 2. Our fabulous, ever-changing website is Sacramento Kenpo Karate.
    I'm a member of the Universal Life Church and the ULC Seminary. I'm also a Sacramento Wedding Minister and Disc Jockey
    New Cool (free) kenpo tool bar: http://KenpoKarate.OurToolbar.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amylong
    Where are you chambering in DH?
    When you first learn it, by the numbers, when you step drag forward into a right forward bow and left heel palm check his right elbow, if you don't chamber your right fist at your right waist it tends to get tangled up with your left. Also gives you some place to put it while you are learning to shuffle in and press, and check the point of articulation, etc.

As you pick up the flow, that right circles up from the block, past the chamber and right into the elbow strike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links